What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Already this year, our town volunteer fire brigade has had to attend some quite intense calls but of the two I attended yesterday, the second one put a smile on my dial:

Cat stuck up a tree! Couldn't get the truck close enough to use my first choice of extraction (squirt it with the hose reel) but sending a crew member up the tree with a pointy stick made the cat decide it was time to jump down to the safety of the tarp blanket below.

Not before said cat took a horrendously long pee from the tree, accurately dousing the owners' Iphone, sat on a bench below!

Is it user pays for the fire brigade in NZ?

i've tried applying wit 3 different emails and not one comfirmation has come through[/quote

I thought I was going to have bother, as the Halfords website seemed to be having an FTP today, but the confirmation came through quick enough. I've had problems in the past with my email address being seen as spam by some online retailers for some reason. Have you tried their "Trade Hotline" 01527 513384, might be worth a shot?

Was in the Co-op earlier and on the way out something caught my eye on the table full of old books by the exit.

post-3133-0-74231600-1487799928_thumb.jpg

I have never really paid much attention to the table before, but a bit of investigating it seems its a charity book table where if you see something you like, you pay a 'generous ddonation' and take it.

Slightly unsure of what a 'generous donation' was I paid £2.

Got home, looking at the book, I notice this on the back cover:

post-3133-0-57933800-1487800297_thumb.jpg

So I paid more than it cost new. Typical.

I am also pretty sure I have this book at my mums house but she's probably binned it TBH.

Still a right result though.

Is it user pays for the fire brigade in NZ?

Technically, yes, if there's a prosecution or some sort. In most cases though, no. Over 80% of firefighters are volunteers and we don't receive any payment; even if someone does get charged for services, it would go into central coffers, on the basis that volunteers are supplied with stations, appliances, equipment etc. Therefore, although we probably have more opportunities to charge than currently occurs, what's the incentive at a local level? There's enough paperwork as it is, for a start!

That all sounds very negative but not one bit; I love doing it, as do others and I like the notion that enough people are willing to join up to make the whole set-up work on a nationwide scale. Not much other way of doing it outside major towns and cities, really.

Was in the Co-op earlier and on the way out something caught my eye on the table full of old books by the exit.

IMAG0334.jpg

I have never really paid much attention to the table before, but a bit of investigating it seems its a charity book table where if you see something you like, you pay a 'generous ddonation' and take it.

Slightly unsure of what a 'generous donation' was I paid £2.

Got home, looking at the book, I notice this on the back cover:

IMAG0333.jpg

So I paid more than it cost new. Typical.

I am also pretty sure I have this book at my mums house but she's probably binned it TBH.

Still a right result though.

I'm sure I had that book at some point about 1980.

MrsR is constantly nagging at me about all my model cars, and the handful of display cabinets I have some of them in.  Notwithstanding, she recently ordered me a brand new cabinet for the dining room, which is now up and part-filled (it doesn't come with enough shelves) and yesterday spotted on FB a couple of wooden cabinets, cheap.  And gave me her blessing to buy them!  So in the pitch black of 7.30pm I set off to Coniston - the very same Coniston where we were supposed to have an AS meet 4 years ago, that morphed into Ulverston - and collected them.  Turns out the old couple concerned are friends of someone at work!  Not only that, the cabinets were hand-made by someone both couples know.  They're lovely too, strongly-built and big enough to hold 1/43 scale cars.  Of course strongly-built means heavy, so I've had to coerce a workmate into coming round this afternoon to help me carry them upstairs.  Where the fuck I'm going to put them I have no idea; they can sit in the middle of the floor for the moment.

Coniston: 55 miles round trip, on the darkest, narrowest, twistiest roads on the planet.  Mostly with a BMW up my arse.  I could see further on his dips than on my mains (Tacuma).  No, it wasn't the same BMW, they just all do that.

Oh and I got a bonus heavily-repainted Dinky fire engine as part of the deal, for restoration probably.  It'll look nice red again.

And as I'm typing this, she's just asked from the next room where the cabinets are going to go.  Bloody hell woman, patience!

Got the cortina going on the electronic ignition with my new FBI battery.

No more cranking for ever to start with the new fuel pump either thank fuck as it was really annoying .

The timing was way way out on the new setup but moved the distributer around and it ran okay . Probably need to put a new cap and leads on it but at least it starts and runs .

As it was a bit windy yesterday all the land rover series/defender's driven by middle aged men were driving about with puffed out chests, their tow ropes on show and probably a boot full of chainsaws.

There's an unofficial 4x4 rescue squad up here whose main job seems to be parading about in their liveried OLLI Land Rovers as if they're the fourth emergency service.

The sun is shining and I'm sat in the van on my lunch with a big bag of chips, only thing that could make it better would be looking at a beach rather than a park. And more vinegar :)

Oh well back to work.

Did you know that vinegar isn't vinegar? No chippy has it, it's watery acetic acid.

Try a bit of balsamic for a bit of taste