The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That's where Renault used to put them, just not transversely. I'm surprised that got signed off for production! Could be because not having the donkey up front made it easier to get the desired NCAP rating?

It'll interesting to see if they have any weird handling characteristics although it looks like the engine is sitting right over the back wheels. Those v6 Clio's are supposed to be interesting* in the wet.

Well, the MG ZT has passed the MOT with a bit of welding to the rear suspension mounts. Woo Hoo!. As a reward it has now been fitted with four new tyres (Hankook ventus v12 evo2 at £70 each). The original tyres being only just legal and different brands front and rear. A set of NOS MG floor mats has complemented the interior nicely.

My home made exhaust system (stainless steel tubing with glass pack straight through "silencers") sounds lovely, if slightly loud, but in a good way, not obnoxious! The local friendly garage guy that took it for the re test went the long way round there and back "just to hear a v6 sounding as a v6 should sound" (his words).

Result!

I love unpicking the which car conglomerate is collaborating with whom thing, trying to work out who has the most (I think it might be Fiat who have GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Mitsubishi and maybe Suzuki (which may have been a thru-GM thing, but then again I only heard that there was VW shares in there too relatively recently) if the Sedici is still being made, plus they just binned off the Sevel arrangement I think.

I have a friend who works at the Merc F1 team. He's onto his second A-Class (due to extremely favourable terms), and when he pointed out it was the diesel I asked him if he knew it was Renault powered. He said he did in a downbeat tone. I wished him luck...

I love unpicking the which car conglomerate is collaborating with whom thing, trying to work out who has the most (I think it might be Fiat who have GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Mitsubishi and maybe Suzuki (which may have been a thru-GM thing, but then again I only heard that there was VW shares in there too relatively recently) if the Sedici is still being made, plus they just binned off the Sevel arrangement I think.

You should have also seen my I pointed out to my friend who works at the Merc F1 team. He's onto his second A-Class (due to extremely favourable terms), and when he pointed out it was the diesel I asked him if he knew it was Renault powered. He said he did in a downbeat tone. I wished him luck...

A180 auto is Merc. 615 engine.

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

Loving this new IETIS thingy now it's up and running. By gum, the rear brake hubs/wheel bearings really DO look like fun to do! There's about 4000 parts involved and they have to be set up precisely by Nuns (with Big guns) who have taken a vow to never swear or take the Lords name in vain...

Also, the hours allowed thing is useful, they really do allow the outrageous amount of hours to do some of the jobs but others are quite normal. Also got all the part numbers involved and an illustrated diagram of each art if needed. It is quite comprehensive... The first thing for the BGD I have ever got that cost me nothing!

Finally got some time to work on the Plymouth and managed to install the heat and sound insulation. I picked up a 4' x 10' roll of this stuff ez cool from here and spent a half day cutting and installing it.

post-3927-0-96782600-1477503768_thumb.jpg

post-3927-0-97208500-1477503777_thumb.jpg

The old carpet is pretty ratty but I can't afford a new one at present and given that the firewall and transmission tunnel are non-stock then the stock carpet wouldn't fit properly anyway.

post-3927-0-30582100-1477503783_thumb.jpg

I need to get the bench seat put back in but I'll need Mrs DF to assist me as it's bl00dy heavy. Once that's in I can then drive the car out of the garage and see how much quieter and cooler the inside is. But so far I'm really pleased with how easy it was to install.

Fusion is hesitating quite a bit, probably plugs or coil...

So dumped some redex in and took it over 5k rpm in 2nd gear for the first time in its life no doubt!

Seems better.

Level unlocked: placebo effect

My moneys on the plugs being wet/rusty from either washer jets leaking rainwater or allen bolts/ core plugs in the head leaking - often caused by the former problem .

Finally got some time to work on the Plymouth and managed to install the heat and sound insulation. I picked up a 4' x 10' roll of this stuff ez cool from here and spent a half day cutting and installing it.

Thanks for posting that, need some insulation but most seems quite pricy, $45 is more my price range.

Got home in daylight and swapped the indicator relay in the 2cv for a spare. For at least a decade the flashers have been somewhat lethargic but I've recently been counting to two between flashes!

The new (old) relay has them flashing at speed again. A job I have been putting off for years but took less than a minute to do. Priorities! I've also just bought a vernier caliper from eBay to get an exact carb float measurement.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172112246089

Van's gear linkage popped off tonight - previous cable tie repair by a previous owner finally gave up.

Will renew the cable tie for now but it turns out there's a clip/clamp that can be bought for £6 to help hold the worn link rod in place without fucking around replacing the cables :D

Came back from work and there was a crowd of lads outside the house - I was half expecting it because I saw this happen on the CCTV before leaving for home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBcbNdUWUQ&feature=youtu.be

The blue car is an Insignia VXR that a mate of the lad over the road bought cash about two weeks ago with some money from a supposed compo payout. Anyway it sounds flipping lovely, lad who owns it is 19 or 20. Madness!

Anyway, the bloke who's car rolled down was being strangely arsey to the rabble of fairly lairy looking lads and was trying to suggest that it wasn't his fault the car had rolled down so it wasn't anything to do with his insurance. Strange really. The back bumper of the insignia was pretty much coved in, but it hadn't touched the metal anywhere that I could see. I sent the lad the video off the camera.

It's a stroke of luck for me really because half an hour later it'd have been my car parked there instead.

Saw a 6 wheel Citroen Cx flying along near Dartford hospital today. Too quick for a pic.

but it must have been this one....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=750591

There is only one in the U.K. Phil Collins ( no not him ) is a physics teacher i think in Kent. He sent me a couple of bits for my cx many years ago.

The Rover of Doom has just rolled over 120,000 miles.  It had just rolled over 100,000 when I bought it, which means I've now done more or less 20K in it.  Although this isn't much for five-and-a-bit years of ownership, it's the most I've ever done in one car.  I still really like the old heap.  It's got the fuelling turned way down at the moment so it's not as stupidly quick (or as stupidly smoky) as it used to be, but it's still got more than enough grunt for overtaking, and it's improved the fuel economy slightly too - it now seems to be averaging nearly 60mpg on the commute to work.  Only thing I can really fault it on is that the heater isn't brilliant, and takes fugging ages to start putting out warm air.  I now no longer regret the days I spent crawling round underneath it getting rust in my eyes and brake fluid in my hair.

I suppose the good fuel efficiency is why the heater is shit. My mk3 golf diesel used to be the same, i'd have to thrash it to get it warm and when going down hills the heater would start to blow cold. I put a couple of thermostats in it but in the end it turned out that there just wasn't enough waste heat from the engine to keep me warm.

My nice new Weber 34ICH carb conversion kit arrived today for my Transit.

Just in time for the weekend, so now I've got something to do. So finally it'll be goodbye to the lumpy, smokey erratic idling, leaking piece of shit VV carb that's been perched on the Pintos inlet manifold since 1985.

I'm surprised it's lasted so long really. I'll still keep it somewhere though, for originality sake.

In theory it shouldn't be in bad order really as the vans not even reached 20k miles from new yet!