Best car in the world?

The Reverend Bluejeans

I'll have to be boring and predictable, but two of mine are BMWs.

A 1989 E30 325i SE two door Auto in Dolphin with leather and air con, on 15" BBS is just as good as it got in 1989.

Their ubiquity and current user profile counts against them, but you really need to go back to 1982 and compare the E30 to its contemporary competition to truly understand what a phenomenal car it was.

See also 1996 E39 528i.

My other one is the South African M88 powered E23 745i. Full spec with buffalo hide Recaros, and every extra and the M1 engine, give or take.

Sign me up for a late 90s Bentley Continental too.

I seem to have grown rather fond of E36s of late. They seem like just enough car without being over the top.

Worthy but dull. A BMW trait. Fine tools for sure, but not really covetable. I'm talking about cars you go out to the garage just to look at and sit in.

There's a young lady who walks past my house some days, about 19 or 20. She's so utterly stunning that I don't really think of her on a physical phwooooaaar! level. Utterly unattainable but lovely to look at. She works in a local shop, and she smokes as well - just to give her that slightly raffish edge.

That an XJ-C, and what proper cars are all about. Cars that make you swoon. Wow. If only.......

I was thinking Jensen FF, but never having actually been in one, let alone driven one, I cannot know that I would actually enjoy driving it. I had a thing for Scimitar GTEs too and the same things apply.

Mini Moke. Not in original spec, though please: Bigger wheels, bigger engine, bigger seats. Roll bar. And the climate to go with it. And a landscape with no tedious motorway journeys. I am however prepared to fix it myself. Continuously.

Lotus Esprit S4 Sport 2.2. Any colour will do. I wouldn't care if it was a pig to drive and broke down all the time (of this I am sure) because: I would have a Lotus and I could afford to fix it. Continuously.

I'll have to be boring and predictable, but two of mine are BMWs.

A 1989 E30 325i SE two door Auto in Dolphin with leather and air con, on 15" BBS is just as good as it got in 1989.

Their ubiquity and current user profile counts against them, but you really need to go back to 1982 and compare the E30 to its contemporary competition to truly understand what a phenomenal car it was.

See also 1996 E39 528i.

Really?

post-3069-0-52047600-1537827101_thumb.jpg

I remember that "prequel" they did to Last of The Summer Wine.....Winding the clock back to the 1930s when the lads were young.   They were discussing their dream cars and Cleggy said his was a Morris Ten.   "A Morris Ten!  What t'hell you want one of those for?" shouted the young Compo.   Cleggy went on to explain that there was no good wanting an expensive dream car if you couldn't afford to run it.   

On that basis, I would quite like my Minor to be working properly and fully repaired structurally.  

However, I do appreciate that rather dilutes the true intent of the question.   So, on the basis that it ought to be something I have experienced ownership of and continue to afford to run, I am going for one of these.... 

post-5367-0-53048300-1537827421_thumb.jpg

W116 280SE.   I reckon a damned good one of these and a couple of grand in the bank for the most immediate of its future problems would see me through a few years.  

I remember that "prequel" they did to Last of The Summer Wine.....Winding the clock back to the 1930s when the lads were young.   They were discussing their dream cars and Cleggy said his was a Morris Ten.   "A Morris Ten!  What t'hell you want one of those for?" shouted the young Compo.   Cleggy went on to explain that there was no good wanting an expensive dream car if you couldn't afford to run it.   

On that basis, I would quite like my Minor to be working properly and fully repaired structurally.  

However, I do appreciate that rather dilutes the true intent of the question.   So, on the basis that it ought to be something I have experienced ownership of and continue to afford to run, I am going for one of these.... 

attachicon.gifMercedes-w116-280-SE.jpg

W116 280SE.   I reckon a damned good one of these and a couple of grand in the bank for the most immediate of its future problems would see me through a few years.  

The last attractive S Class. Needs to have a proper engine though.

Worthy but dull. A BMW trait. Fine tools for sure, but not really covetable. I'm talking about cars you go out to the garage just to look at and sit in.

There's a young lady who walks past my house some days, about 19 or 20. She's so utterly stunning that I don't really think of her on a physical phwooooaaar! level. Utterly unattainable but lovely to look at. She works in a local shop, and she smokes as well - just to give her that slightly raffish edge.

That an XJ-C, and what proper cars are all about. Cars that make you swoon. Wow. If only.......

Alright, alright. On that basis: The 4-door Citroen SM from that perfume (I think) advert.

Or, I know this is tedious, but I've always had a thing for 1957 Chevrolet Bel Airs. So one of them, but with an utterly ridiculous supercharged big block, beefy gearbox and uprated brakes and suspension. Straight pipes are a must, too.

I quite like the idea of these ' bespoke' modified classics in the style of Vicarage MK2 Jags etc. But I'd have to have an original standard one too. As I like the way old cars drive and make me feel when I'm driving them.post-17414-0-67002400-1537828895_thumb.jpeg

post-17414-0-08234700-1537828946_thumb.jpeg

post-17414-0-42739300-1537829285_thumb.jpeg

These 3 will do, but any of the super powerful Jag, Jensen, Bristol , Merc etc Restomods would do.

Or I could just make my own , something like UKSaab's T2 Turbo or a 600 bhp W12 Skoda Superb or a DS Safari with Activa suspension and an SM engine , or...

Our bargain of the century Volvo V70 has been nothing but a pleasure to clean up and fix up. Very comfy too and has a nice, smooth engine. We'll even ignore the peeling bonnet because of how good the car's been to us.

Brother's waft-o-matic Camry V6 is up there too.

I still love the XJ-C and the XJ-S. Perhaps one day I'll own one. Probably not.

I still want my taste of the Eastern bloc so perhaps a Tatra or something a bit more common man..... Polonez.

+1 for V70. Our 2006 model has been with us for ten years or so. Averages 50mpg while fast and very comfortable. The last year I've been thinking about what could possibly replace it when the time comes. Nothing so far seems to come close. At 117k it should be good for a good few years yet.

Without reading any of the other posts in order not to be swayed by anyone's argument.

Mk2 Cavalier Cdi hatch

The right balance and compromise of:

Fast, comfy, safe, economical, roomy, mechanical simplicity, reliability.

I've never owned one.

I had a 1.6 gl, a cdi auto, an Sri saloon and a Calibre.

A mk3 cavalier is almost as good, but looses out on size.

I've owned a 1.8 L version of the mk3 and it was almost as good as the 1.6 gl mk2.

Not exotica by any means. My personal opinion for the best car ever made is -

MGMetro-1.jpg

Yep - the Metro was a missed opportunity for the British car industry to have become great again in my opinion. Loads were sold so they started to build them poorly. Strange philosophy but very historically British.

If I had to go and buy a new car today (I wouldn't but if I had to) -

2017-Maserati-Quattroporte-GTS-Curved-Ro

A small Maserati, obviously.

Overall - best car ever that I really, really, really would like?

A Stout Scarab

Stout-Scarab.jpg

That's me finished on this topic.

Having owned 2 metros I have to say there's nothing in my current motoring use that wouldn't be perfect for a metro.

obviously if they had 5 speed gearboxes in the Turbo it would have been better.