The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Your fluid level is low. Very low. The high revving is because the torque converter is not full, and hence it "slips" badly.Get some fluid in it. It should be roughly at the mark when hot, after a drive. Go through ALL the selection points (even 2 and 1) three times to completely fill the valve chest with fluid, then select park and check the level with the engine running. If it's low, fill.With the engine off for some time, you can expect the level to be significantly above the full marker.. like 30-50mm maybe.

I got home early from work to do the 1-minute dipstick test again, as suggested. It is low. Feckin' low. Is only just hitting the "min cold" notch on the dipstick. Looks like there's going to be a massive investment in more Dexron III this week.

Second attempt this evening at re-attaching the rear view mirror to the PTSD, which threw a hissy fit and fell off when I attached a rear view mirror dash cam module to it. 

Attempt #1 at the weekend epic fail. Bought the appropriate Loctite kit, drew a nice little outline on the outside of the screen of the original location, cleaned off as much as poss, and set to work putting the kit into action. Smear fishy smelling substance over mirror mount and smooth it out - check; cut out 'activation mesh' so it was the same shape as mount - check; prodded and poked so the glue came through the mesh - check; line up mirror to outline and hold it for a minute - check. Dropped straight off. Now I had a sticky mess on my windscreen and no rear view mirror.

Streetshite-d it to Halfrauds to buy a comedy temporary rear view mirror and another Loctite kit - the temp mirror was because I needed to give the PTSD a run in the countryside due to lack of use.

Bought some isopropanol yesterday - delivered this morning (eBay as well - not bad). Cleaned off the mount and the windscreen. Difference this time - er, actually unscrewing the mirror from the mount. What A Twat I Am.

Anyway, 2 minutes in and the mirror-less mount is still holding steady. Not gonna reattach the business end until tomoz

post-20951-0-81980900-1523904275_thumb.jpg

I need a set of tyres for the Scimitar, there a 185 R14 and the current ones are all about 15/20 years old and are as hard has nails, have zero grip and the rears have no tread left.

Anybody got any ideas I want these but there just tooooo much money really.

938293.jpg

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/dunlop/sport-classic/185-80-r14-91h-827992

So might have to go for these?? 

What's the thoughts??

79426.jpg

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nankang/cx-668/185-80-r14-91t-40102

Princess Anne opened Hankooks new warehouse:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/news/13511-13511.html

You know what you have to buy......

Got home early from work decided I would remove the rear exhaust backbox from the focus and replace with the sportex one I had previously fitted before the MOT but it seems the centre section would not meet up with the rear box as they were the same diameter tube not perturbed I decided to rummage in the shed finds a piece of pipe roughly the same size chop off the smaller bore and badly welded on a larger sleeve and in the process decided to skin a few of my knuckles with the grinder guards are for wimps

post-4824-0-95601300-1523906438_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-72997500-1523906462_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-16907700-1523906479_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-99147400-1523906658_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-92618300-1523906682_thumb.jpeg

I've always had a 75 since 2011 - infact I'm on my 5th. Most of them have been daily drivers too - but every time I drive this thing... It's in another league. Despite its 108,000 miles it's the tightest & nicest to drive out of all my previous.

Absolutely love it.eae8223b1804dfea2b6d78b2650d56e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

attachicon.gifIMG_20180414_092525.jpg

I had a job for the Morris on Saturday which meant sampling our Capital's roads, and they have deteriorated noticeably in the last few months; potholes you could lose a Reliant in now.

Coming back late on Saturday night the car kept up a noisey 60, but turning into my road there was a bit extra noise and a bit less power.

I've just had a look and the 2 rear cylinders are down on compression. The £7 arsehole-inspection camera revealed nothing too horrible so my diagnosis is that the head gasket blew out between the cylinders.

When I rebuilt the engine I used an old style copper one, so I'll have to replace it and remember to tighten the head down or splash out on a composite gasket.

I'm thinking of selling this car when its fixed. The reason is novel, a couple of owls have moved into a box above where it lives, and they keep shitting over it.

Did you anneal it before use and retorque it after 500 or so miles?

I'd lift the head, check for any reason it blew, anneal the gasket & put it all back again.

Did you anneal it before use and retorque it after 500 or so miles?

I'd lift the head, check for any reason it blew, anneal the gasket & put it all back again.

It would be good if I could remember, definitely didn't anneal it before use , it was new though!

In the olden days I would have tightened it down after less than 500 miles, its the double layer copper sort.

The head was skimmed so I don't think there's anything untoward there, waterworks are fine too.

I've rebuilt and run 2 A series in recent years (1275 in a Minor and 1100 in an A35) Both got quality composite gaskets, neither received any further attention and covered lots of miles happily.

An 1100 engine has to work quite a bit harder in this car, its about a ton and not exactly aerodynamic. I had a 5 speed box in the Minor and a 3.9 diff in the A35. The 10 has a 5.3:1 axle, so not a recipe for relaxed cruising, it does have 16" wheels though.

Had a visit to a local Car museum today (Motorlife Museum, Wollongong) and had a long wander around. Sorry for lack of photos, too busy drooling on everything!

Next thing I know I'm chatting to one of the volunteers and he asked what cars I liked, BL I replied, Well he said "come have a look at these"

8f35b8f8245c8ef71a3863738abee6b5.jpg

"You want them?"

"You bet!"

I have no idea how the Maxi stuff got here, they were never sold in Oz!

The Force 7V is quite a rare one as BL Oz went bust before it went into production, but the books had already been printed, and about 100 somehow found their way to the public. Now I finally have one!

Also, I stupidly checked gumtree in the local area for freebies (as I do) and I stumbled upon this

ca6b9443d1082f7500274a59ed9f50b4.jpg

"No rust, free to a good home"

Next thing I know I'm shoving it in the back seat of my mate's Lexus. Now I have a spare wing, just in case.

Friggin hell. I've just come to the toilet for a break from doing some work on a mess of a pension scheme and I sit down and see that Avis van which is one of the sections of the scheme I'm trying to sort.

I can be traveling in some random location with my wife and she will suddenly state. 'I do their pensions', she works on a Aon investment team.

Guest Hooli

It would be good if I could remember, definitely didn't anneal it before use , it was new though!

In the olden days I would have tightened it down after less than 500 miles, its the double layer copper sort.

The head was skimmed so I don't think there's anything untoward there, waterworks are fine too.

I've rebuilt and run 2 A series in recent years (1275 in a Minor and 1100 in an A35) Both got quality composite gaskets, neither received any further attention and covered lots of miles happily.

An 1100 engine has to work quite a bit harder in this car, its about a ton and not exactly aerodynamic. I had a 5 speed box in the Minor and a 3.9 diff in the A35. The 10 has a 5.3:1 axle, so not a recipe for relaxed cruising, it does have 16" wheels though.

I've always been told to re-anneal them before use even when new. It seems they re-harden slowly on the shelf from what I've been told.

Having said that the only place I've used one (about half a dozen times on the same gasket now) is my Triumph Bonnie but that does get used properly when working.

A quiet day and stuck for parts on the Seat has meant the Porsche has had a little love today. I gave it a good run last week over 500 miles and by the time I got back the pot holes of Essex had done their worse. At least all the wheels are still round and just one rear antiroll bar link knocking like a good un. It's a lovely car and all but doesn't half cost to keep it perfect. I will have to wash it again later before it goes back under it's cover in the garage.

The tightened fan belt seems to have done the trick, peeing down with rain so lights, wipers, air con all blasting away and no problems with electrics and no squeeling.

Got my new phone as well, it's a Huwhaihai or something like that and it's brill! I can turn it on with a fingertip and its been a few weeks since I could say that!  :)

The bumper on the Prelude doesn't sit right:

40808496094_fa17e47dfc_b.jpg

so today I had the thing off to see how it goes together, give it a clean, and investigate. I also polished the exhaust tips.

40808595494_bebf1b8a7a_b.jpg

doing this also confirmed the car's had a blowover at some point.

The bumper is held on by a metal box section across the middle that bolts to the car, and the bumper is attached to this with trim clips - so in effect it's held on by four bolts. As well as this there's a bracket at each side going from the body to the bottom of the bumper.

It seems that someone has reversed into something at some point and bent the brackets down, as you can lift the bumper up and round, cleaning up the shutlines. As soon as you let go it sags back down to how it was. I'll bend them up tomorrow.

I also feel like some of the impact absorption stuff that goes in there has gone missing at some point, I should probably look to replace that.