So a friend went to the ring

hairnet

What is the fine for dumping a load of coolant and half an exhaust on the ring?

About £1500 - track closure. £3000 for a mild accident.

I've been countless times but won't drive on it again - it's just not worth the risk of a financial bumming. Perhaps one evening on a dry day when it's not busy (good luck with that) you can have a semi swift buzz around, but too many local heroes, driving gods, bikers and general hazards. I stopped going when the car park was overflowing and the circuit was closed more than it was open due to crashes.

There are enough brilliant UK circuits.

You can get away with stuff as long as the car keeps running and you can get away from the scene. We killed a golf gti with a cracked sump by driving it off the ring. Most of the oil was on the grass so no bother really. Thencar was worth £600ish at the time but recovery would have been a lot more as mentioned above. Just don't be a complete dick (something my mate failed at) and it's fine there.

So if you run out of talent on a bend and stack it, you get a £3000 bill? Oof!! Wonder if the old travel insurance would pick up the bill for that!

'Hi, yes while on holiday, we took our 20 year old Astra for a lap on the Nurburgring, as you do, and I've gone into the back of a German Stockbrokers Audi, I think I've killed one of the passengers and he looks in a bad way too, the helicopters on its way. Can you send me the claim forms through please?'

You can get Ring-specific trackday insurance. I reckon it would be madness not to.

Many normal trackday insurance policies and a lot of normal road policies specifically exclude the ring. Someone always pipes up about how its technically just a German toll road open to anyone so road insurance will be fine.....I wish them luck arguing the toss with Direct Line as to how their MX5 became upside-down and wedged into the side of a track-spec supercar.

Does your h-fi have a Turbo Bass button? That used to be instant cred

Yeah lol. It used to be my parents, even as a nipper I knew hi-fi wasn't flashing lights and CD changers. Still, it kicks out the DnB like a good 'un.

Some UK companies state they do not cover for the 'ring, Admiral did so on mine about 6 years ago, - on a Polo 1.9D!

A friend of mine who does a lot of sprinting, hillclimbing etc  has relatives in Germany and has 1/2 shares in a German reg car because of this issue, he does like a play. A local lad in the same motor club hit a 911 GT3 with his M3 at the ring and received a writ back in the UK. I'm told he made a "reduced but substantial payment" a couple of years later.

Says in specific does not cover use on the Nurburgring and or use in time trials. Basically they have to legislate for the idiots that could potentially do a lot of damage/cost, they'll have had to pay out on some nobhead who'll have stacked into a Porsche or something.

I don't doubt there's some tremendously skilled drivers on there, but I'd also wager there's an awful lot of people in Vauxhall Astra VXRs with that script up the side of the Windows going '...because Astra' who are probably severely out of their depth.

The thing about the 'Ring is...  It's very very slippery in the wet.  More so than your average Milton Keynes roundabout.  And your usual reference points with regards to speed (traffic, road markings, signs etc) just don't exist, compounded by heroes flying past you in Skylines at 150mph.

So you find yourself piling into an adverse-camber right hander - with no clue as to how tight it's going to be - at 70mph.  Cue understeerundersteerundersteer SHIT! oversteer! no time to correct... going backwards... just a passenger now... grass... FUCK that's the barrier...  Clonk - hit the barrier - but not too hard.  OK, we've stopped.  Facing the wrong way in the middle of the track.  Turn it around... Car seems alright and it's a twenty minute drive back to the exit - at a nervous 40mph - hoping we'll get away with it.  But the bruised n/s corner and mud up the wing gives the game away, and you're directed to 'mission control'.  "So, you had an accident?" asks a stern German.  "Little bit," you reply.  "You hit the barrier?"  "Little bit."  "You must show me."  So, you're taken for a ride in a diesel Astra - at about twice the pace you were just doing - and asked to point out the damage you've caused.  A little blue paint identifies the spot.  Luckily it's not considered significant.  Financial bumming averted.  You live to 'Ring another day.  Car looks very secondhand.  Pride lies in tatters.  Chalk it up to experience and take the Ring Taxi next time.

PA020275.jpg

It's somewhere I'd like to try and have a crack at, though maybe not in my own vehicle or with enough funds to cover a rental and properly insure it due to the aforementioned expensive "ring stings"

It's always interesting seeing someone taking something round that's completely the opposite of the usual track weapon choices

I took an Allegro round 10 years ago, it's brill. Years ago all sorts of old shite was taken round but nowadays it's all Porsches and stuff. I did see a LWB transit pick up with ladders tied to the roof going round though. I'd deffo recommended going to anyone.

I took an Allegro round 10 years ago, it's brill. Years ago all sorts of old shite was taken round but nowadays it's all Porsches and stuff. I did see a LWB transit pick up with ladders tied to the roof going round though. I'd deffo recommended going to anyone.

Yes that's how it was when I did it including a Transit, Porsches and the Ring taxi that lost it onto the grass, but gathered it all together again and carried on.

post-4787-0-25342600-1494487643_thumb.jpg