collections and deliverys

dcd1979

Fully agree about the weight of modern cars on 3.5T recovery trucks, but all that 'O' licence stuff is an absolute 'mare.

In fact I sold my 6 tonne Merc because of it, thought it's carrying capacity was brilliant, I CBA with what VOSA wanted ref. tacho graphs and all that caper.

Turns out you can't tow a Rolls-Royce with a Rav4 either.

3905210.jpg

I agree entirely with spud about the difficulties of a 3.5 tonner. I was using an LDV beavertail, and with modern car kerbweights heading north of 1500kg, it just didn't have enough payload really. I did actually transport a Vectra facing the wrong way (as it was dead) and it was not much fun at all. Right on the weight limit and that weight in entirely the wrong place. 

Yeah 3.5t is ideal for transporting older, lighter stuff, but newer stuff can be a pain.

As an example, my Transit Beavertail weights 1960kg, that's with Ramps, straps and tools. Then add in the weight of myself and a passenger maybe and you are soon chipping away at what's left.

To put a real life perspective onto it, my MK3 Focus TDCi weighs in at 1900kg according to the Vehicle Enquiry Service - and that's just your average, 'mid' size family car, at slightly less weight than a LWB Transit with a 15ft bed.

My Mitsubishi Canter is a different league though but then you are getting into all of the other stuff as its over 3.5t. I really need to get that back on the road and move the Transit on.

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but are you also insured for towing people's cars?, last thing you want is to do is fish tail off the road (and looking at your awful strap set up the scope for disaster looks high) and then have the customer on your arse as his cars destroyed and it's not covered on the insurance.

Sorry yes should have been clearer that's the gross weight. I was using it as an example of how modern cars are more bloated compared to gross weights of older stuff.

Even so, a Focus with a full loaded boot etc is likely to tip over 3.5t on a Beavertail, especially with truck passengers.

I like my licence too much to risk that kind of towing outfit.

I use a Bitsamushi L200 and Ifor Williams CT177 trailer. Empty trailer weighs in at 750kg.. L200 can tow 3t, trailer has 2.8t capacity but I won't carry more than 2t on it as that takes things too close to the L200s max towing capacity.

Best of luck with it, but I very much doubt you'll have a driving licence for long when Dibble catches you.

trigger, on 08 Feb 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but are you also insured for towing people's cars?, last thing you want is to do is fish tail off the road (and looking at your awful strap set up the scope for disaster looks high) and then have the customer on your arse as his cars destroyed and it's not covered on the insurance.

Goods in transit insurance, plus probably public liability if you take the driver or passenger of broken down vehicle with you. Then, if you're over 3500kgs, you'll have to put a tacho in if you're moving stuff for your own gain (i.e scrapyards, car auctions etc) and the only 'legit' way of moving cars without a tacho is within something like 60 kilometres of your base and the vehicle must be legal and 'genuinely' broken down. That's what I was told by VOSA if you had a recovery truck, anyhow. 

Start getting into spec lifts and any of that 'MOT exempt' bollocks (precious few trucks genuinely are exempt from MOT) and it's a minefield.

It's a 2015 L200 which is rated at 3t according to Bitsamushi.

Trailer is a bit heavy duty but as it's never gonna have over 2t on it I figure it's safer to be under full capacity of a good trailer than over capacity of a crap one.

I asked DVLA for guideline info and they didn't seem to have any issues. Comes under dual purpose rules as it's a short bed, crew cab, air conditioned L200. The earlier shape ones with the long bed don't.

I received a trousers and pants down spanking at the roadside for that years ago, towing a big empty trailer with a wee van.

I had heard rumours that this had been abolished recently and they go by the actual weight of what you are towing rather than what its plated to carry at max load. I dont know if this is true or how they plan to weigh stuff at the roadside, but it would make sense as it means basically you are being bollocked for an offence you might commit in the future....ie I might have stuck a load on that empty trailer, taking me over the vans limit.

They really, really didnt appreciate me pointing this out and suggesting they might want to arrest me for murder too just in case I strangled a prostitute later that evening.

I received a trousers and pants down spanking at the roadside for that years ago, towing a big empty trailer with a wee van.

I had heard rumours that this had been abolished recently and they go by the actual weight of what you are towing rather than what its plated to carry at max load. I dont know if this is true or how they plan to weigh stuff at the roadside, but it would make sense as it means basically you are being bollocked for an offence you might commit in the future....ie I might have stuck a load on that empty trailer, taking me over the vans limit.

They really, really didnt appreciate me pointing this out and suggesting they might want to arrest me for murder too just in case I strangled a prostitute later that evening.

I was taking said trailer home for a friend. It was brand new and i was never going to have anything on it either. Not risking it again.

Sorry yes should have been clearer that's the gross weight. I was using it as an example of how modern cars are more bloated compared to gross weights of older stuff.

Even so, a Focus with a full loaded boot etc is likely to tip over 3.5t on a Beavertail, especially with truck passengers.

Some diesel automatic Astras are nearly 1700kg unladen.

This thread is excellent!

Volvo XC90 towing capacity - 2250kg

Land Rover 90 towing capacity - 3500kg

I know which way round I'd have had that lot set up, and it would have been on a proper transporter with a bed long enough to get the weights just where you need them. Those flatbed Ifors, good as they are, really aren't long enough to get the weight where you want it.

When I bought my trailer it came with these 'over wheel' straps, which work quite well with the slotted bed. Unsure if I want to change to the more common wheel straps even though they can mark alloys and pull of brake hoses, or just make some decent quick release chocks for the bed, for peace of mind...

3500kg towing capacity, factory built 3500kg gross trailer, so I can legally tow another Disco behind this one, if it's just for private use. Proper job!

1526318_10152952238323843_53416624514463