Bus Shite

Felly Magic

14 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

11 hours ago, artdjones said:

🤮 What is this fascination with teal and aqua?

The only bright spot in Cardiff changing to an orange livery in 1972 was that they didn't pick the aquamarine alternative.

Must say I was a bit surprised too. They've been red and cream for as long as I can remember. The new livery seems very reminiscent of the previous Unilink livery here in Southampton. 

New B&H. 

Brighton-and-Hove-brand-refresh-1.jpg.4f8b46f1a7ee6af5df15f124b952f5ae.jpg

Old Unilink. 

Screenshot_20230630_072216.thumb.jpg.82232c486d4a7077578b94d23ce827f2.jpg

Which would be handy as both are Go Ahead companies and not a million miles apart. I did in fact once see a Brighton and Hove bus in Shirley in service with Blue Star. Only trouble with that is those particular Unilink buses are now painted in Blue Star blue and the current Unilink buses have the shard livery. Same base colours but with four different coloured flashes. 

IMG_20190309_120940.thumb.jpg.3f7d9aa571647952ec9ee1ed5f79efb6.jpg

IMG_20190309_124837.thumb.jpg.a3a1fc25f7c41e6154485fdfe2fd8c19.jpg

IMG_20190309_124908.thumb.jpg.67772ee05eecbb5ca5ba32b8b24e8020.jpg

IMG_20190309_105844.thumb.jpg.4be1e75f5145c0edef743cc5aadf91cd.jpg

Still near enough to be interchangeable I reckon. 

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

Brighton-and-Hove-brand-refresh-1.jpg.4f8b46f1a7ee6af5df15f124b952f5ae.jpg

What on earth are those multi-coloured lines over the back wheel supposed to be? Sorry, but that just looks a mess compared with the stylish red and cream. I expect it's a Ray Stenning design and he's rehashed his favourite themes as he needs some new lycra shorts.

1 minute ago, quicksilver said:

What on earth are those multi-coloured lines over the back wheel supposed to be? Sorry, but that just looks a mess compared with the stylish red and cream. I expect it's a Ray Stenning design and he's rehashed his favourite themes as he needs some new lycra shorts.

I think they're meant to represent people, and they're in the colours of the rainbow flag.

I live locally, I only have memories of Brighton and Hove busses being red and white up until the service that comes through my area (12, 12A, 12X etc.) was rebranded the coaster at which point they became green and blue.

Coaster-12-lr.jpg

I quite like the new design, I'm not averse to a bit of change.

7 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I think they're meant to represent people, and they're in the colours of the rainbow flag.

They look more like a load of lower-case letter 'i's or paint test swatches to me. A thought occurs: I wonder if Brighton's change of livery is connected with Go Ahead buying Pulhams, who are also red and cream. Given Go Ahead's reputation for individuality, maybe they don't want two separate fleets in similar colours.

15 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

The rainbow flag and Brighton, well I never.

I remember Scotrail joining in with Pride one year. They interviewed some gay people about what they thought of Scotrail’s commitment to LGBTQ+ ( any more been added recently that I missed?).

One guy said “the thing gay people want most from Scotrail is to make the f@cking train run on time!”

20 hours ago, quicksilver said:

CZyiPTAWQAAPH42.thumb.jpg.e2abf97dc84d215cfc4ed0909ff2710f.jpg

That's Mr. Stenning on the right.  He looks like just the kind of fellow to produce a tasteful* design.

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

CZyiPTAWQAAPH42.thumb.jpg.e2abf97dc84d215cfc4ed0909ff2710f.jpg

That's Mr. Stenning on the right.  He looks like just the kind of fellow to produce a tasteful* design.

That's a very restrained outfit compared with many he shamelessly wears in published photos. His livery designs and his fashion sense certainly have a lot in common.

Week one on the road at Stagecoach; complete.

Didn't drive Monday, sat passenger the whole shift.

Tuesday was a three bus shift; Enviro 400MMCs 10512, 10519 and Enviro 200MMC 37483; the latter was my first experience with a Voith Enviro 200.

Wednesday to Friday were two bus shifts, with 37486 and 10524 on Wednesday, 37483 and 10919 on Thursday and 37489 and 10524 last night.

I'm now signed off, free to drive without a mentor and... off for two weeks 😂

I remember the good old days, turn up at a new employer (bus company), show them your PSV badge (and licence), and get asked if you knew where x, y,z were. What usually followed was "you'll know when you get back". Closely followed by " that Ford / Bedford / AEC etc is what you're driving, don't bend it", see you later.

I remember on one occasion being given a piece of paper that showed what all the symbols on the switches on a Plaxton bodied Reliance actually meant. Previously you just pressed and fucking hoped it was the demisters!!

1 hour ago, busmansholiday said:

I remember the good old days, turn up at a new employer (bus company), show them your PSV badge (and licence), and get asked if you knew where x, y,z were. What usually followed was "you'll know when you get back". Closely followed by " that Ford / Bedford / AEC etc is what you're driving, don't bend it", see you later.

I remember on one occasion being given a piece of paper that showed what all the symbols on the switches on a Plaxton bodied Reliance actually meant. Previously you just pressed and fucking hoped it was the demisters!!

My first proper driving job was at the age of 22. I'd popped into an operator to see the coach painter who I'd known for years.

He introduced me to the boss.

I was out that afternoon, no CRB check or fuck all, doing a school with a Van Hool B10M.

I did my first private hire the following day in a 29-year old Plaxton Supreme PSU5 Leopard before settling into a manual TL11-powered Tiger Paramount.

I had to do two weeks training at Stagecoach after starting on the 19th... I've been driving buses since 2008 😂

11 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I'd hope the bus co gives you a map of the routes, and stops too.

Ha, ha, ha, get to start point then first punter to get on gets a free trip provided they stand by the cab and show you the route !.

I remember one episode on Nasty Excess when a new lad was given the Colchester service to do from Sheffield. He got almost to Leeds before one of the punters asked him if he knew where Colchester was. "No" was his answer. He knew when he got back.

11 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Ha, ha, ha, get to start point then first punter to get on gets a free trip provided they stand by the cab and show you the route !.

I remember one episode on Nasty Excess when a new lad was given the Colchester service to do from Sheffield. He got almost to Leeds before one of the punters asked him if he knew where Colchester was. "No" was his answer. He knew when he got back.

My first gaffer was a Yorkshireman in his 60s; his warcry?

"The children have a vested interest in getting home, they'll keep you right"

11 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I'd hope the bus co gives you a map of the routes, and stops too.

The depot I'm at, up here anyway, only has four routes; the X19 and three variations of X25. Covered all of them on Monday passenger then drove them the rest of the week... I learn better when I drive.

Sorry for the link to FB but I have just seen a great set of pictures on buses and coaches used at Glastonbury last week. Loads of 70s and 80s vehicles seem to have come out of hibernation, some of which look like pure autoshite.

In this set of pictures (not sure if link will work)

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10163064965828102&set=pcb.6878335035517981 

3 hours ago, cms206 said:

Which is why you learn a school run in the afternoon. 

Do NOT ask for directions on the AM run, you’ll never find the school.

On 02/07/2023 at 10:15, cms206 said:

My limited experience of this was using the college LDV Convoy minibus to take about 15 kids home after the bus didn't turn up.  I hadn't heard of most of the villages they were going to.  Fortunately the girl who got off last was happy to sit in the passenger seat and give directions and even more helpfully give directions back to the main road from her house.

4 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

My limited experience of this was using the college LDV Convoy minibus to take about 15 kids home after the bus didn't turn up.  I hadn't heard of most of the villages they were going to.  Fortunately the girl who got off last was happy to sit in the passenger seat and give directions and even more helpfully give directions back to the main road from her house.

Did you
Keep your mind on your driving
Keep your hands on the wheel
Keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead
We're having fun, sittin' in the backseat
Kissin' and a huggin' with Fred

:)

On 6/27/2023 at 9:57 AM, cms206 said:

The London services were hallowed territory for Eastern & Western Scottish, long service men on well appointed kit.

Summer Blackpools? You'd be lucky to get a panoramic Y-type Leopard with bus seats and forced air. At least they had boots 😂

Duplicates could produce anything as long as it would keep up, particularly as Eastern Scottish were always one bus short of a fleet. When they got their Seddons all muddled up some of the Y-Type buses with coach gearing would turn up on duplicates or summer Blackpools whilst the Plaxton bodied coaches trundled about on locals. Also, at least one Leyland Lion decker made it to Victoria...

Eastern Scottish Leyland Lion DP in Victoria Coach Station

1 hour ago, rml2345 said:

Duplicates could produce anything as long as it would keep up, particularly as Eastern Scottish were always one bus short of a fleet. When they got their Seddons all muddled up some of the Y-Type buses with coach gearing would turn up on duplicates or summer Blackpools whilst the Plaxton bodied coaches trundled about on locals. Also, at least one Leyland Lion decker made it to Victoria...

Eastern Scottish Leyland Lion DP in Victoria Coach Station

Fuck! Thats a rare beast! A DAB built Leyland Lion ! 😎 Thankyou very much for posting this picture! 😎