Shite or not?

StescoG66

1 minute ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

ask the question you never know you might* get a sensible answer!😁

LOL!! Worth a go then. BTW Thank you all 😊

OK car has a tendency to squirm and tramline a bit, not bad but enough to keep your wits about you. Tracking set to parallel. 

Standard wheels are 5.5J 14" with 39mm offset and 185/60-14 tyres.

I have fitted 6J 15" with 50mm offset but 15mm spacer - therefore net 35mm offset. Tyres are 195/50-15.

I think the spacer may be too wide - just about 3mm per side. With the 12mm wider rim I have put most of the extra width to the outside instead of splitting the difference and allowing more to the inside. Would this make a big difference or am I shouting at the clouds here. 

13 minutes ago, red5 said:

You've changed the scrub radius basically. 

Do you know what it is or means?

I didn't, but the reply below yours makes it perfectly clear. So the steering axis and the centre line need to meet, correct?? Therefore the spacer is in fact too wide as I suspected. .  Am I correct in saying that 4mm off should sort it?

I didn't go too radical on a change as had heard it can destroy the handling. My car is similar to the Alfa 33 and it was offered with 15" wheels so thought it would be OK. 

No, you need to try and keep as close to original factory settings. It's the standard mistake with any wheel and tyre change along with the 'experts' who think deep-dish/large off set wheel trims 'improve' anything. They dont, except by accident.

The rim is also 12mm wider so that would need to be taken into account when adjusting spacer size (width).

40 minutes ago, red5 said:

Ps, not a dig. 😁

And not taken as a dig, believe me its appreciated. 

I think when I bought the spacers I omitted to allow for the extra wheel width........ so 4mm off the spacer should sort it I think. Assuming that clears the brake caliper..........

In short, I think I need to split the 12mm difference equally between the inner and outer edges.......

Just now, StescoG66 said:

Give me a toot and a wave if you see me around. First two pics were taken at my pals house in Crossford, but I am in north Glasgow (Clue in the username :-) )

Smashing, will do. Living in Ayrshire but am out and about quite a bit, so a good chance of seeing you. :)

3 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

do the wheels fit without the spacers?

No. The ones fitted have a 50mm offset so they foul the suspension without spacers. 

My rough calculations give me the following:-

5.5J standard wheel with 39mm offset gives me 109mm from inner face to rim edge

6J replacement with 50mm offset gives me 126 from inner face to rim edge, the 15mm spacer takes this down to 111 mm 

On standard wheels the permitted offest range is 37-42mm, so I reckon no more that 3mm off each spacer should bring it back in to spec, but can't see how 6mm across the axle could make such a difference........

17 hours ago, StescoG66 said:

Give me a toot and a wave if you see me around. First two pics were taken at my pals house in Crossford, but I am in north Glasgow (Clue in the username :-) )

I'm not far from Crossford (assuming there's not another one apart from the one in Fife)

Ignore that, wrong Crossford!

Safe to say I've never spotted this or I'd have definitely had to have a lie down in a dark room afterwards. It's stunning!

• 2 months later...

Well a perhaps overdue update. The wee buzzbox passed MoT with only an advisory for a slightly noisy nearside rear wheel bearing. Added to the to do list, but will just do both in all likelihood.. Still not a bad result for having been put together by a ham-fisted amateur like me......

On the subject of ham fisted amateur - it seems the wanderlust from the steering was caused by about 8mm  play in the rack on its mounting points......... due to the D bushings in the bulkhead clamps not being present......... also now sorted and all has tightened up quite markedly. 

Now it just needs to dry up again and can get out and drive (while hoping that the temporary CV boot holds out OK.....)

On 5/11/2023 at 4:14 PM, dome said:

I'm not far from Crossford (assuming there's not another one apart from the one in Fife)

Ignore that, wrong Crossford!

Safe to say I've never spotted this or I'd have definitely had to have a lie down in a dark room afterwards. It's stunning!

I may be taking a run up to Bacon and Brakes on 6th August, weather permitting. Don't want to take Alfa Seltzer out in the pishing wet.......

Great car those Alfa Sprints.

I had this 1978 1.5 Sprint in 1986.

834026530_Sprint2.jpg.12957897c9e9c5317f36d6481ae93c7f.jpg

Being a Sprint it only had a single progressive twin choke carb. Still made a great sound. It did suffer from a bit of torque steer under hard acceleration. Also under hard deceleration the rear end would lock up and cause a bit of a code brown situation when the rear of the car would try to catch up with the front. Luckily the car had a brown velour interior, so if the code brown was real bad the stains wouldn't show that much. It's one of only three of four cars that I wish I still had.