Bus Shite

Felly Magic

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

You’d have thought a bus would have come off better than a Transit in a crash even allowing for the driver’s position. Didn’t look like a place where the collision would have involved high speed either. Anyway shouldn't speculate without the facts , very tragic for those involved esp considering  the driver’s age.

I always used to explain to new drivers that the first crumple zone was their knees. Buses are not built with protection of the driver in mind and even lower speed incidents are enough to shove the dash, steering wheel and front end backwards. It’s all box section and thin plate, easy to just cut off and replace as required.

RIP to the driver involved here.

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

You’d have thought a bus would have come off better than a Transit in a crash even allowing for the driver’s position. Didn’t look like a place where the collision would have involved high speed either. Anyway shouldn't speculate without the facts , very tragic for those involved esp considering  the driver’s age.

You would think... was a 2019 Enviro 200MMC. Not even a requirement for a drivers seatbelt. They're all just box section and fibreglass. Gordon had a leg amputated but later succumbed to his injuries.

As @83C says... you ARE the crumple zone.

Feel free not to look but this was sent onto me by a former colleague... gives an idea from a distance.

IMG-20230815-WA0027(1).jpg

58 minutes ago, cms206 said:

As an aside to the above, I'm shaking like a shitting dog this morning; had a prick in a Toyota Auris drive into the side of my bus (another Enviro 200MMC) last night on my last run. Felt okay last night but my head's really not in it today!

That's bad enough in a car when on your own, but in a bus, especially POB, even worse - and having that incident in your mind can't help, I'd imagine. 

I started my training with First recently, spotted this Volvo Olympian in the bus ‘grave yard’ today reg R241LGH

Here’s my pic20DB5B8D-A978-4597-BD9E-B20A44EF624F.thumb.jpeg.899e698eb959a7675d8c1eaeb6238d5e.jpeg

And a pic of it in service  

3D2FEDFB-C36C-4D15-B8F9-73446F4CEDF2.jpeg.d4f6bb3a640558b47a60751ced8a0f10.jpeg

they also had this rather nice bus in the work shop, I couldn’t make out what it was sorry, 50s/60s busses aren’t my forteE2111C55-DD34-4AE0-A987-2742587CFC48.thumb.jpeg.080d2af05a9bcc0c758847e07468dd6e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Weird Car said:

I started my training with First recently, spotted this Volvo Olympian in the bus ‘grave yard’ today reg R241LGH

Here’s my pic20DB5B8D-A978-4597-BD9E-B20A44EF624F.thumb.jpeg.899e698eb959a7675d8c1eaeb6238d5e.jpeg

they also had this rather nice bus in the work shop, I couldn’t make out what it was sorry, 50s/60s busses aren’t my forteE2111C55-DD34-4AE0-A987-2742587CFC48.thumb.jpeg.080d2af05a9bcc0c758847e07468dd6e.jpeg

Volvo reg looks a bit like Raleigh. As for greenbus, early LT or AEC, but an expert will be along shortly. Maybe in 3's :)

3 hours ago, Weird Car said:

Google says it's an ex Provincial of Gosport Guy Arab of 1942 vintage. 

51046807617_3a627eb297_b.thumb.jpg.020b926d4b8cf37dcd7d97e12ab2938d.jpg

Putting two and two together (I can see the word Solent on the nasty Street Lite in the top picture) I'd say you're quite near me. Since First abandoned Southampton those Solent Street Lites are the only First buses we get here now on the X4/X5 to Portsmouth and Gosport.

5 hours ago, Yoss said:

Nice one, thanks! 

5 hours ago, Yoss said:

I'd say you're quite near me.

Yes, I’m training in the Gosport depot! 
If I remember correctly it’s Blue Star in Southampton now? 

14 hours ago, colino said:

The BBC are now reporting the 23 year old bus drivers death is being investigated as a murder. 

There were unsubstantiated rumblings just after the crash that the van driver was actively seeking to commit suicide by crashing his van at speed into a large vehicle... it looks like there may be an element of truth in it, unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Yoss said:

51046807617_3a627eb297_b.thumb.jpg.020b926d4b8cf37dcd7d97e12ab2938d.jpg

Putting two and two together (I can see the word Solent on the nasty Street Lite in the top picture) I'd say you're quite near me. Since First abandoned Southampton those Solent Street Lites are the only First buses we get here now on the X4/X5 to Portsmouth and Gosport.

There are two of these knocking about, this one number 55 is owned by First and lives at Hoeford, the other is 57 and is in the care of the Provincial Society and its members. Both are currently roadworthy and sometimes come out to play together for the Stokes Bay rally.

2 hours ago, cms206 said:

There were unsubstantiated rumblings just after the crash that the van driver was actively seeking to commit suicide by crashing his van at speed into a large vehicle... it looks like there may be an element of truth in it, unfortunately.

Real shame an artic didn’t arrive first, a truck driver would likely have survived whilst delivering the desired results for the ‘individual’ in the van - assuming that is indeed the case, I hasten to add.

9 hours ago, Weird Car said:

Nice one, thanks! 

Yes, I’m training in the Gosport depot! 
If I remember correctly it’s Blue Star in Southampton now? 

Yes, although they aren't all blue any more. When we had First and Blue Star , Blue Star always seemed the better turned out and more professional looking company. Ironically since they stepped in to replace most of the routes abandoned by First they have drafted in spare buses from other Go Ahead companies and are now far more colourful.

I'm sure this will be rectified in time. I still think we'll probably get the current Unilink fleet when they come to be replaced. This happened five years ago with the last Unilink fleet replacement, they were painted blue very quickly and moved across to Blue Star.

The Unilink contracts last five years and require new buses every time it is renewed. The current fleet is now five years old but I've heard the University want electric buses this time but I think it's taking a bit longer than hoped to sort this out. I know Go Ahead (Blue Star and Unilink) have taken over the old First Bus garage and had heard (mere speculation and stories in the local paper) they are going to fit it out for electric buses but I've yet to see anything with my own eyes.

They still come across as a better company than First though. Sorry.

Flitwick car show on Sunday had a selection of preserved buses operating free services around the village, plus one as a bar.

UPB 312S - London Country

N515 PYS - Robinson

A747 NNA - Route 47 Events

S574 TPW - Blue Bus

KV03 ZFE - CT Plus

WEX 685M - Great Yarmouth

OAE 954M - Bristol

G864 XDX - Chambers

R372 LGH - Paul Webb

The last three were taken at the controversial new 'transport interchange'. The council installed some new bus stops at the railway station earlier this year at vast cost but the bus companies refuse to use them because their buses don't fit, they doesn't meet H&S regulations or something. This evidence would appear to suggest otherwise.

39 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Crikey! That ‘bar’ was one of ours at NBB! (Slow as fuck though).

Yep, still largely in NBB colours and the name 'Route 47 Events' seems to be a reference to its NBB fleetnumber. It's newly converted this season after disappearing off the radar for a few years.

5 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I thought this looked/reg was familiar. A batch of these were used in S Yorks by Leon of Finningley. They were pretty knackered by c.2000 and were relegated to schools services but, given the dilapidated condition of the fleet meant regular breakdowns, they often ended up on service routes - winding down estate back roads or countryside lanes in place of a Dart.

149. A754 NNA: Leon, Finningley

(As a demonstration of the level of dilapidation, I recall a nasty accident being reported where the rear emergency door had corroded to the extent that it simply fell out during a journey, with a passenger falling onto the road as a result - I seem to remember that the traffic commissioner was rather scathing).

Story from the Netherlands. All links are in Dutch, but they can be translated via the usual sites.

RRRReis is a brand name of the regional public transport in the Dutch provinces of Flevoland , Gelderland and Overijssel are operated.This was  run by a comapny called Keolis.  The company purchased 250 electric buses. They started to be brought into service  at the beginning of 2021. However,  there were immediately problems, including in the issues with the driver's cab and with the climate control. Bus drivers were issued get thermal underwear , because of the ongoing problems with the heating.

In January of 2022, the company was told to solve the problems. It would appear that only half of the fleet could be repaired satisfactory. The patience of the provinces (like county councils in England),  who are responsible for the issuing permits to run bus services ran out. Because buses had to continue to run, Keolis received a so-called emergency concession, but that contract expired at the end of 2022. The entire concession has now been reissued. Keolis lost the contract and the company EBS is the company running services from the end of 2022.  Keolis, was fined almost 600,000 euros because the buses did not meet the requirements to run the bus network.

Before EBS takes on the buses, they were fully inspected again.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2436528-keolis-krijgt-boete-van-bijna-zes-ton-voor-probleembussen

The story did not end there.

Many of those who drive the electric bus from  experience physical complaints.  A quarter uses medication. This is evident from an internal survey of the trade unions.  The same survey established that the buses are trying to veer  to the right.  Drivers have to counter-steer to the left, this obviously is the causes pain. Drivers suffer pain in their shoulders, neck, buttocks and elbows. The unions are not pressing for an immediate change due to EBS   having taken over recently. The buses are said to be in services for another 13 years.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2488083-vakbond-kwart-chauffeurs-bij-grote-busvervoerder-slikt-pillen-tegen-pijn

I have a load more links, but will not post them now as some go into far more depth than need be for this post.

The manufacture of these beasts is BYD. Model is the K9.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

The manufacture of these beasts is BYD. Model is the K9.

...Aaaaaand that explains a lot of it.  They've only been around over here for a couple of years, but haven't gained exactly a good reputation.  

Build quality which makes an Enviro 200 look like a Rolls-Royce seems to be a running theme, along with endless, endless electrical issues.  It sounds like parts becoming obsolete two years after a model was launched isn't unknown either.

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

...Aaaaaand that explains a lot of it.  They've only been around over here for a couple of years, but haven't gained exactly a good reputation.  

Build quality which makes an Enviro 200 look like a Rolls-Royce seems to be a running theme, along with endless, endless electrical issues.  It sounds like parts becoming obsolete two years after a model was launched isn't unknown either.

It sounds an awful bus.

20 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Seven years since Metroline's first batch entered use.

London has literally hundreds of them; all BYD electrics bar the first batch for Metroline IIRC are ADL-bodied, both Enviro 200s and 400s (including some fantastic looking 12-metre 200s).

Glasgow also has several hundred BYDs electrics now. Stagecoach have probably pushing 50-plus in Scotland, Manchester have an order for over a hundred.

They seem to be known for two things in the industry; the steering being really heavy, and BYDs being totally outclassed by Yutong's offerings which seem to be really, really good.

*EDIT* according to HML at Q1 2023 there were 325 BYD E200 single decks and 858 BYD E400 deckers, but that doesn't include K8s or D9s which HML doesn't seem to record.

1 hour ago, cms206 said:

Seven years since Metroline's first batch entered use.

London has literally hundreds of them; all BYD electrics bar the first batch for Metroline IIRC are ADL-bodied, both Enviro 200s and 400s (including some fantastic looking 12-metre 200s).

Glasgow also has several hundred BYDs electrics now. Stagecoach have probably pushing 50-plus in Scotland, Manchester have an order for over a hundred.

They seem to be known for two things in the industry; the steering being really heavy, and BYDs being totally outclassed by Yutong's offerings which seem to be really, really good.

*EDIT* according to HML at Q1 2023 there were 325 BYD E200 single decks and 858 BYD E400 deckers, but that doesn't include K8s or D9s which HML doesn't seem to record.

Fair enough I guess.  I keep forgetting it's not been "a year or two" since I was properly in the loop any more - it's been rapidly going on ten now!

Sticking this up for the benefit of @LightBulbFun. Another London running day but this one coming pretty close to you. Dalston Kingsland is probably the closest point.

Route 38. Unfortunately it's a Saturday and I'm working so I won't be there.

Screenshot_20230826_191916_edit_422968182626410.thumb.jpg.d06dd187e87fa20f5420f703a2ad083c.jpg

But this is epic. This has to be the most intense running day they have ever done. I've just done a quick count and there are 57 buses leaving Victoria Bus Station. And that doesn't include several short journeys at the beginning and end of the day.

Screenshot_20230826_192126.thumb.jpg.a2f872a125b5e870bead0091badb807f.jpg

And of course it cuts right across the heart of central London from Victoria to Islington. A lot of these running days stop short of central London but not here. 

A List of buses.

Screenshot_20230826_192424_edit_423261118810465.thumb.jpg.5fbc7852951f0cbdf29ee5b5527b8acb.jpg

I assume the four at the bottom are yet to be announced RTs.

The only consolation for me is that there is another running day in November based on Chalk Farm Garage which is on a Sunday 

3 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Sticking this up for the benefit of @LightBulbFun. Another London running day but this one coming pretty close to you. Dalston Kingsland is probably the closest point.

Screenshot_20230826_191916_edit_422968182626410.thumb.jpg.d06dd187e87fa20f5420f703a2ad083c.jpg

But this is epic. This has to be the most intense running day they have ever done. I've just done a quick count and there are 57 buses leaving Victoria Bus Station. And that doesn't include several short journeys at the beginning and end of the day.

And of course it cuts right across the heart of central London from Victoria to Islington. A lot of these running days stop short of central London but not here. 

A List of buses.

Screenshot_20230826_192424_edit_423261118810465.thumb.jpg.5fbc7852951f0cbdf29ee5b5527b8acb.jpg

The only consolation for me is that there is another running day in November based on Chalk Farm Garage which is on a Sunday 

Oh Awesome! I was aware of this happening, and have actually been meaning to ask if you will be there :) sorry to hear that your working that day! 

but I had no idea so many buses would be running, including the likes of RT1 RM1, and an STL! thats really quite epic! as well as my personal favourite RML2760 :) last I checked on it no such fine details had been released

I am hoping to make it for at least part of it, Ideally I was hoping the whole day, but mum has an appointment on that day, so I dont know how it will work out exactly

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

A List of buses.

Oooooh! I'm scheduled to be working that day but I'm on permanent lates so might pop along in the morning for a bit if I can be arsed.

Pity there are no Ls, Ts or Ms - they'd guarantee my attendance 🙄

Looks like they are running for about seven hours and very frequently so it should be fairly easy to dip in and out. I did think about coming up after work but even if I went straight from work to the station I wouldn't get there until 3.30 at the earliest. I might have made the effort if I hadn't also been sent this email recently.

Screenshot_20230827_180128_edit_443591613910157.thumb.jpg.ad52b14cb2a4f8f8e203b6791aeaa3e3.jpg

There don't seem to be any other details online yet but the mention of route 68 has piqued my interest. I may have mentioned before that my bus was the last RM on route 68, 24th October 1986. It was working from the southern end of the route at Norwood. Chalk Farm was the northern terminus so definitely more interested in that.

58 minutes ago, cms206 said:

Oooooh! I'm scheduled to be working that day but I'm on permanent lates so might pop along in the morning for a bit if I can be arsed.

Pity there are no Ls, Ts or Ms - they'd guarantee my attendance 🙄

I went to a running day based on Hendon last year which had this in attendance.

IMG_20221120_130930.thumb.jpg.022f99e02065b2cdd980abea275cc86c.jpg

IMG_20221120_130902.thumb.jpg.4b91792532bbacc107bf7897986123b3.jpg

IMG_20221120_124914.thumb.jpg.8ebec6d16d8c57182693232f974ee7d7.jpg

I always preferred Titans to Metrobuses back in the day when they were the two main types of one man bus in London but I'll admit I was quite happy to go for a ride on this.

On 24/08/2023 at 17:18, quicksilver said:

Flitwick car show on Sunday had a selection of preserved buses operating free services around the village, plus one as a bar.

WEX 685M - Great Yarmouth

Come on you slackers, how come nobody has noticed this bus was the very first picture in this thread ?.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Come on you slackers, how come nobody has noticed this bus was the very first picture in this thread ?.

That was 12 years and 179 pages ago! It's been on the show scene for a long time as here it is looking exactly the same at Showbus in 2004.

PNK_GreatYarmouth_WEX685M.thumb.jpg.2b28af2f9ff9dfdff5ff138291693151.jpg

This batch had long service lives for Swifts. Most of them were still in use at 23 years old when Great Yarmouth sold out to FirstBus in 1996 but were quickly withdrawn by their new owner and this one went straight into preservation then.