Jump to content

An estate [Bought an estate, in a state] SOLD IT


JJ0063

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, yes oui si said:

I hope it breaks down slightly too far away to walk home when the boot's full of shopping for the freezer. 

I’m waiting for something to happen, I just can’t get my head round it. 
 

Reading between the lines I genuinely think it’s a case of he’s owned it so long and neglected it the last year or two, broke up with the mrs, fallen on hard times so decided to start again with a bike. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

A trip to the Royal Norfolk Show in your Volvo estate with your Labrador.

 

Are you sure you're younger than me???

I did say to Mrs JJ I’ve gone full cliche haven’t I? Volvo estate and a Labrador. Norfolk show just tops it off!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ordered 2 driveshafts and a new front badge as mines come off/worn off

Did notice the wobble a bit more at certain speeds today so have decided to just bite the bullet and do both shafts, worked out about £200 for the pair so it’s still a very cheap car!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First shitter. Air con was virtually full so didn’t get charged but he reckons the compressor is fucked 

You can hear an occasional ‘pinking’ noise when the compressor should be engaging, but it doesn’t actually engage. Guess the compressor clutch is knackered. Oh well, I tried.

Might take the car back for a refund, he never told me that.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

First shitter. Air con was virtually full so didn’t get charged but he reckons the compressor is fucked 

You can hear an occasional ‘pinking’ noise when the compressor should be engaging, but it doesn’t actually engage. Guess the compressor clutch is knackered. Oh well, I tried.

Might take the car back for a refund, he never told me that.

Think it was mentioned previously but there's a bodge/fix for these. 

If you can suffer this lad then this video shows how. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Think it was mentioned previously but there's a bodge/fix for these. 

If you can suffer this lad then this video shows how. 

Well that looks piss easy. Think I’d rather use metal cable ties for longevity with how hot I imagine that could get. 
 

I’ll have to order a bandana first though!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I did the ‘fix’ and the compressor now does kick in but still no air con so I’ll have to do some more investigation work.

In other news the driveshafts turned up today, along with a set for an R53 cooper S Mini 😂 so if I can sell those, I’ll have a free set of shafts for this! 

Got the 2 shafts and some box oil so will try and change them this weekend if weather permits.

Also fitted new front badges as the old ones were non-existent 

IMG_9851.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

So I did the ‘fix’ and the compressor now does kick in but still no air con so I’ll have to do some more investigation work.

In other news the driveshafts turned up today, along with a set for an R53 cooper S Mini 😂 so if I can sell those, I’ll have a free set of shafts for this! 

Got the 2 shafts and some box oil so will try and change them this weekend if weather permits.

Also fitted new front badges as the old ones were non-existent 

IMG_9851.jpeg

That's a much better idea than buying a Mini to go with your spare drive shafts :-)
Lots of fun getting circlips and the like off an R50 is one my most* treasured motoring memories......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I’m fucked

2 new driveshafts 

all the new gearbox oil down the road 

lost drive 

 

pushed it home nearly had a heart attack 

Short shaft just would not go all the way home, thought it was in, tried again.. clunk, lost drive again, pushed home.

Third time lucky! Noticed the C clip on the end of the shaft is quite loose so makes it hard to seat… covered it in white grease to hold it central.. went straight in.

Now need to go to Halfords for another 2l of box oil but I’m 99% sure it’s sorted now. I managed to turn round and reverse back in the drive albeit with fuck all box oil in. It didn’t pop out though! 
 

Also fitted a replacement indicator on the mirror….

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Well I’m fucked

2 new driveshafts 

all the new gearbox oil down the road 

lost drive 

 

pushed it home nearly had a heart attack 

Short shaft just would not go all the way home, thought it was in, tried again.. clunk, lost drive again, pushed home.

Third time lucky! Noticed the C clip on the end of the shaft is quite loose so makes it hard to seat… covered it in white grease to hold it central.. went straight in.

Now need to go to Halfords for another 2l of box oil but I’m 99% sure it’s sorted now. I managed to turn round and reverse back in the drive albeit with fuck all box oil in. It didn’t pop out though! 
 

Also fitted a replacement indicator mirror….

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

More interesting than going to the gym JJ. And just as good for you 💪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Matty said:

More interesting than going to the gym JJ. And just as good for you 💪

Oh I’m glad I did it, I’ve never done driveshafts before but saw a few YouTube videos and it looked surprisingly easy. Tbh if I’d got it seated properly the first time it’d have taken me under an hour all in including jacking the car up to putting tools away. 
 

Luckily the box oil pissed all over the piece of tarmac between the road and my house so I’ve temporarily covered it in soil as it’s all I had to hand. Will make sure I clean it up properly! 
 

Just driven it down the back road and nothing fell off. Just need to drive on a smooth road now to see if it still wobbles as the back road is so bumpy you’d never tell the difference!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m 99% sure I’ve just found the problem, going to try it after tea and if it’s what I think it is, this story is even more shocking and funny but fucking annoying that I wasted all day doing the shafts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m 99% sure I’ve just found the problem, going to try it after tea and if it’s what I think it is, this story is even more shocking and funny but fucking annoying that I wasted all day doing the shafts. 

If the shafts were cheap then you've got new drive shafts. Still a positive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DE-BOBBLED!

Why the fuck didn’t I just check this first 🤦‍♂️😂

NSR…

Both rears are matching with 2018 DOT codes so I’ll just order a pair. 
 

Fronts are Feb23 DOT so he’s changed the fronts but clearly not even glanced at the rears!

Stuck the space saver on and it’s fully debobbled…

 

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9869.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • JJ0063 changed the title to An estate [Bought an estate, in a state] DEBOBBLED PAGE 5
27 minutes ago, Matty said:

If the shafts were cheap then you've got new drive shafts. Still a positive!

Told you - should have just got a Bini for the other pair?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Yep, that’d cause a shake like a shiting dog

I was bobble hunting front end as the seller had put it in my head that it was that end. I should have cottoned on earlier when the car was shaking but not steering wheel. 
 

Oh well it can have a pair of rears on it then it’s got 4 new tyres and 2 new driveshafts but will still owe me under £650…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Don’t take any chances with budget tyres! 🤣

I’ve just bought two driveshafts I didn’t need, I can only afford budgets now 😂 

It’ll have whatever F1 autocentres have got on the shelf, cheaper the better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought my BMW E91 was a bargain at £1000 but this makes it look like a rip off

You're also motivating me to sort out the bobble it has developed. I've traced that to suspension arms 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hardwired a dashcam in today, also had a pair of ali roof bars in the garage which seem to go well with the factory rails so chucked them on for being the ultimate practical wagon.

Home straight now, need to book in for 2 rear tyres, timing belt/service and a windscreen.

Screen can wait until MOT time in November, timing belt can be done once I’ve sold the BM. 
 

Rough calculations make it give or take £850 all in with new shafts, new tyres, service, belt, water pump and windscreen. 
 

Still over the moon with it. 

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_9882.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...