An estate [Bought an estate, in a state] SOLD IT

JJ0063

1 minute ago, yes oui si said:

I hope it breaks down slightly too far away to walk home when the boot's full of shopping for the freezer. 

I’m waiting for something to happen, I just can’t get my head round it. 

Reading between the lines I genuinely think it’s a case of he’s owned it so long and neglected it the last year or two, broke up with the mrs, fallen on hard times so decided to start again with a bike. 

First shitter. Air con was virtually full so didn’t get charged but he reckons the compressor is fucked 

You can hear an occasional ‘pinking’ noise when the compressor should be engaging, but it doesn’t actually engage. Guess the compressor clutch is knackered. Oh well, I tried.

Might take the car back for a refund, he never told me that.

8 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

First shitter. Air con was virtually full so didn’t get charged but he reckons the compressor is fucked 

You can hear an occasional ‘pinking’ noise when the compressor should be engaging, but it doesn’t actually engage. Guess the compressor clutch is knackered. Oh well, I tried.

Might take the car back for a refund, he never told me that.

Think it was mentioned previously but there's a bodge/fix for these. 

If you can suffer this lad then this video shows how. 

20 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Think it was mentioned previously but there's a bodge/fix for these. 

If you can suffer this lad then this video shows how. 

Well that looks piss easy. Think I’d rather use metal cable ties for longevity with how hot I imagine that could get. 

I’ll have to order a bandana first though!

So I did the ‘fix’ and the compressor now does kick in but still no air con so I’ll have to do some more investigation work.

In other news the driveshafts turned up today, along with a set for an R53 cooper S Mini 😂 so if I can sell those, I’ll have a free set of shafts for this! 

Got the 2 shafts and some box oil so will try and change them this weekend if weather permits.

Also fitted new front badges as the old ones were non-existent 

IMG_9851.jpeg

53 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

So I did the ‘fix’ and the compressor now does kick in but still no air con so I’ll have to do some more investigation work.

In other news the driveshafts turned up today, along with a set for an R53 cooper S Mini 😂 so if I can sell those, I’ll have a free set of shafts for this! 

Got the 2 shafts and some box oil so will try and change them this weekend if weather permits.

Also fitted new front badges as the old ones were non-existent 

IMG_9851.jpeg

That's a much better idea than buying a Mini to go with your spare drive shafts :-)
Lots of fun getting circlips and the like off an R50 is one my most* treasured motoring memories......

Well I’m fucked

2 new driveshafts 

all the new gearbox oil down the road 

lost drive 

pushed it home nearly had a heart attack 

Short shaft just would not go all the way home, thought it was in, tried again.. clunk, lost drive again, pushed home.

Third time lucky! Noticed the C clip on the end of the shaft is quite loose so makes it hard to seat… covered it in white grease to hold it central.. went straight in.

Now need to go to Halfords for another 2l of box oil but I’m 99% sure it’s sorted now. I managed to turn round and reverse back in the drive albeit with fuck all box oil in. It didn’t pop out though! 

Also fitted a replacement indicator on the mirror….

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

33 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Well I’m fucked

2 new driveshafts 

all the new gearbox oil down the road 

lost drive 

pushed it home nearly had a heart attack 

Short shaft just would not go all the way home, thought it was in, tried again.. clunk, lost drive again, pushed home.

Third time lucky! Noticed the C clip on the end of the shaft is quite loose so makes it hard to seat… covered it in white grease to hold it central.. went straight in.

Now need to go to Halfords for another 2l of box oil but I’m 99% sure it’s sorted now. I managed to turn round and reverse back in the drive albeit with fuck all box oil in. It didn’t pop out though! 

Also fitted a replacement indicator mirror….

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9863.jpeg

More interesting than going to the gym JJ. And just as good for you 💪

44 minutes ago, Matty said:

More interesting than going to the gym JJ. And just as good for you 💪

Oh I’m glad I did it, I’ve never done driveshafts before but saw a few YouTube videos and it looked surprisingly easy. Tbh if I’d got it seated properly the first time it’d have taken me under an hour all in including jacking the car up to putting tools away. 

Luckily the box oil pissed all over the piece of tarmac between the road and my house so I’ve temporarily covered it in soil as it’s all I had to hand. Will make sure I clean it up properly! 

Just driven it down the back road and nothing fell off. Just need to drive on a smooth road now to see if it still wobbles as the back road is so bumpy you’d never tell the difference!

34 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m 99% sure I’ve just found the problem, going to try it after tea and if it’s what I think it is, this story is even more shocking and funny but fucking annoying that I wasted all day doing the shafts. 

If the shafts were cheap then you've got new drive shafts. Still a positive!

DE-BOBBLED!

Why the fuck didn’t I just check this first 🤦‍♂️😂

NSR…

Both rears are matching with 2018 DOT codes so I’ll just order a pair. 

Fronts are Feb23 DOT so he’s changed the fronts but clearly not even glanced at the rears!

Stuck the space saver on and it’s fully debobbled…

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9869.jpeg

• JJ0063 changed the title to An estate [Bought an estate, in a state] DEBOBBLED PAGE 5
2 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Yep, that’d cause a shake like a shiting dog

I was bobble hunting front end as the seller had put it in my head that it was that end. I should have cottoned on earlier when the car was shaking but not steering wheel. 

Oh well it can have a pair of rears on it then it’s got 4 new tyres and 2 new driveshafts but will still owe me under £650…

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Don’t take any chances with budget tyres! 🤣

I’ve just bought two driveshafts I didn’t need, I can only afford budgets now 😂 

It’ll have whatever F1 autocentres have got on the shelf, cheaper the better!

Hardwired a dashcam in today, also had a pair of ali roof bars in the garage which seem to go well with the factory rails so chucked them on for being the ultimate practical wagon.

Home straight now, need to book in for 2 rear tyres, timing belt/service and a windscreen.

Screen can wait until MOT time in November, timing belt can be done once I’ve sold the BM. 

Rough calculations make it give or take £850 all in with new shafts, new tyres, service, belt, water pump and windscreen. 

Still over the moon with it. 

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_9882.jpeg