Shitting in the shallow end. *A2 Bronken*

Jim Bell

Did that many miles on that many pez. Not bad really.

post-5435-0-40928300-1552502907_thumb.jpg

From the off, and on test drive it drove ok.

I paid, put some air in the tyres ,(they were all on 23psi) put some pez in the tank and set off up the road.

post-5435-0-04613300-1552503040_thumb.jpg

In the first 50 ish miles of cruising at 60 ish mph the car was misfiring every so often. I dropped a cog (there's not many to choose) and ragged it a bit. Actually at length. This seemed to help and the misfire fucked off and seemed to liberate a bit of horse power. Cruised the rest of the way home at a comfortable 70. The wind buffeted around a bit but it never felt scary or unsafe.

So what's wrong with it?

Well, not much really. Everything seems to work but there's not much to go wrong.

Manual tilt sunroof.

Manual steering.

Manual mirrors.

Manual windows.

No central locking.

Oh, the heater fan only works on setting 3 and there's a light judder under braking. Guessing front discs and pads won't be too expensive!

Other than that, it all seems grand. Even had a snazzy Sony CD player.

Look at those glorious front arch gaps!

post-5435-0-06118000-1552503591_thumb.jpg

Plus, the great thing about a Jim Bell collection thread is, not only are they of top notch, there’s the added frisson that it could be put up for adoption AT ANY MOMENT

Well it's probably not a long term keeper so it'll be available at some point for certain. Just don't blink, or you might miss it.

there's a light judder under braking. Guessing front discs and pads won't be too expensive!

The 940 did this when I picked it up, second time I drove it it had mended itself...

It could just be down to lack of use, I'd hold fire on the discs and pads for at least a day or two.

Nicely done. I definitely don't share that snug driving position you have with these but I have inadvertently slammed the brakes on in one before.

I feel like I should get another but gotta be a 1.1 5 speed. I've been spoiled.

I managed ok with my size 12s. Nowhere near as bad as I remember. Saying that, I was 99.9% in 4th gear on the motorway.

That is a really nice little motor. It’s getting me hankering for a small ultra basic, ultra frugal motor to brave these turmoultuous times. Luckily I have just the thing already arranged for the weekend. 4 speed manual in 1995 is a badge of honour in my book!

As regards brakes it is definitely worth having a closer look at them. On the Xantia I picked up recently I had the same problem and yes it did go away somewhat with use but the front discs were pretty poor on the inner side and more importantly there was loads of corrosion on the caliper carrier and the sliding pins were dry as a bone. Even if you don’t buy discs and pads it’s worth cleaning everything up!