The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Cav is quite reliant on its cooling fan. It sits at 90 which is the centre of the gauge, but when stationary at temp it pretty quickly climbs up to 100, the fan kicks in then puts it back down to 90, repeat ad nauseum.

Is that normal? Not had a car like that before.

32 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

The Cav is quite reliant on its cooling fan. It sits at 90 which is the centre of the gauge, but when stationary at temp it pretty quickly climbs up to 100, the fan kicks in then puts it back down to 90, repeat ad nauseum.

Yes. I remember my 1.6 16v Astra G doing similar too. Tbh a lot of cars do it. Thermostat is probably opening and closing during that time as well.

I was supposed to be taking the EGR valve off the Hyundai today to give it a clean out, and possibly blank it off if it was still misbehaving.

Much dismantling occurred.  To get the scuttle panel out you not only have to take the wiper arms off but the whole wiper mechanism has to come out.  Then with about a dozen 10mm bolts removed the panel can be wangled out and you can see down the back of the engine.

20231022_124116.thumb.jpg.7d338578678f01797177da53c4d239db.jpg

20231022_124110.thumb.jpg.a6b9cddfc0073b0bb1dee2532582f524.jpg

Heat shield removed (came off pretty easily considering), but the EGR isn't going to come off without the pipe also being undone as the pipe mounting bolts at the valve end are effectively impossible to get at with the valve in situ.  So I went to undo the nuts holding the pipe on at the turbo end.

20231022_130406.thumb.jpg.691fbb296e7d8469b47c7ae8f20066e8.jpg

Oh cock.  Turns out it's got "stiff nuts" fitted which have been crimped into place pretty hard, to the extent that the stud turned out to be the weakest point.  Good job it's not actually the EGR that's causing the kangarooing then - I initially thought it was as when I took the car for a drive with the EGR unplugged it was a lot smoother (albeit completely gutless), but then on a subsequent drive it started kangarooing again.  So I've put it all back together having wasted a chunk of what might be the last decent fettling day of the year.  Oh well.

Today's other main task was to dry out the rear footwell in the Toyota and see if I could see where water is getting in.  Looking at the places that appeared damp, my suspicion is that it's the seal at the top of the door that isn't doing its thing properly, so water is getting in and trickling down the door frame between the seals and thence onto the footwell carpet.  I had a roll of stick-on door rubber so I've stuck a length round the top of the door frame and next time we have a downpour I'll see if that's fixed it!

I took the Renault 4 to a well-known local discount shop this afternoon, and when I came out of the shop there was a family poking around it.  They looked slightly embarrassed when I walked up, and the dad said that a 4 had been the family car for most of his childhood so he was having a bit of a nostalgia trip.  They were a pleasant enough family and we had a bit of a chat about the car.  Then I loaded the shopping, got in and started it up, and when I got to the car park exit they were stood there waiting to watch me drive off...

This evening I fitted a new (universal) screen wash pump to the Volvo, which should have been a 2-minute job but took bloody ages in the end because those cheapo universal pumps never seem to be able to self-prime.  Then I went round the fleet with a can of glass cleaner and a roll of kitchen paper to clean the inside of the windscreens - it's the time of year when one is often driving into a low sun and a dirty screen can effectively become opaque when the sun's at the wrong angle.  Of course next weekend the clocks go back and then it'll be dark all the bastarding time anyway...

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Completely normal, they get hot very quickly in stationery traffic and the gauge is very active. All 3 of my Cavs did that and so did my Vectra B. Nothing to worry about.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Completely normal, they get hot very quickly in stationery traffic and the gauge is very active. All 3 of my Cavs did that and so did my Vectra B. Nothing to worry about.

Same here, my Omega does exactly the same. Nothing to worry about from my experience (even if a little alarming at first.)

Picked this up today brand new off the forecourt on behalf of my employer. 1.0 petrol 7 seater; €24,000 out the door with a bottle of wine and air freshener on the passenger seat. No negotiations, no trade ins. There were about 5 other people picking up identical examples at the same time as me. 

2E07B961-6B01-4458-BDFE-F240207F0033.thumb.jpeg.fa64bbcac4adc0fcfc8dd51d13ca7a72.jpeg

A6E86D8E-0DB8-42B8-96C6-FE60CACCC6B1.thumb.jpeg.70f06ffd5ce5ab306b332fe3a56c9ac2.jpeg

2D6EED9D-CC52-4A61-9158-F37A4BFF45BA.thumb.jpeg.333cf02e26587826ba36119df11d5cb7.jpeg

Not very shite but an interesting experience all the same. I never would have guessed that it was a 1.0, I initially thought it to be a 1.5/1.6 by how it drove. Feels surprisingly well put together too

1 hour ago, The Vicar said:

Picked this up today brand new off the forecourt on behalf of my employer. 1.0 petrol 7 seater; €24,000 out the door with a bottle of wine and air freshener on the passenger seat. No negotiations, no trade ins. There were about 5 other people picking up identical examples at the same time as me. 

2E07B961-6B01-4458-BDFE-F240207F0033.thumb.jpeg.fa64bbcac4adc0fcfc8dd51d13ca7a72.jpeg

A6E86D8E-0DB8-42B8-96C6-FE60CACCC6B1.thumb.jpeg.70f06ffd5ce5ab306b332fe3a56c9ac2.jpeg

2D6EED9D-CC52-4A61-9158-F37A4BFF45BA.thumb.jpeg.333cf02e26587826ba36119df11d5cb7.jpeg

Not very shite but an interesting experience all the same. I never would have guessed that it was a 1.0, I initially thought it to be a 1.5/1.6 by how it drove. Feels surprisingly well put together too

Does it have a spare wheel?

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

New popemobile?

The Holy Father prefers a much more humble Fiat 500X in a fetching shade of doom blue 

two of these will eventually permanently replace a 98 t4 minibus belonging to a college. Two of them are about half the price of a new Transporter bus apparently!