The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:56 PM, Ghosty said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugoet-205-diesel-1-8-turbo-12-months-mot-/193488401977?hash=item2d0cceb639%3Ag%3A0PsAAOSwUFJe0iuC&nma=true&si=sRh3udhaZvGaPdLfsYIcNeXkXS4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Some of you will be relieved/surprised to see this, but I've bought A MANUAL.

And what better than a rather bargainous looking 205 D Turbo?

I'm going to mask up and get a train to it some time this week. 

I had that in my watch-list and had a bid earlier in the week @Ghosty. Looked mis-advertised as I think it's a proper D-Turbo, and they seem to be going for more money. Sounded like the seller had the needed parts for it too.

Dibs when you sell.

I had that in my watch-list and had a bid earlier in the week [mention=17391]Ghosty[/mention]. Looked mis-advertised as I think it's a proper D-Turbo, and they seem to be going for more money. Sounded like the seller had the needed parts for it too.
Dibs when you sell.

It is indeed a D Turbo.

32 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

That's a dangerous thing to say to someone on here  they might take you up on it sooner than you expected. Very happy doing business 

IMG_77901.jpg

20200611_150422.jpg

Marvellous.

We may have to meet up so I can coo over the picnic tables, when meeting up is a thing again. If you still have it by then.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, Skizzer said:

True, but there’s more to life than carrying passengers.

EC12E268-4E94-43B2-A2F0-BA664FD6ABCB.thumb.jpeg.5236f477d47ab95a7890fc23ecb539e7.jpeg

You can fit four human beings in an XJ-S, it just takes a while and some flexibility to get in/out of the back.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

CX news from Garage Dubois-Loizou: the top of the engine is now dismantled and they are well into the guts of it.

The oil cooler does need replacing, but nobody has one in stock, not even CX-Basis - they've checked. Looks like an e-mail or call to Stan Platts in the remote hope that he might have the right one lying around somewhere. If no joy, they will improvise one from another car and modify it to fit. Not sure how that's going to work.

The camshaft will also be checked to see whether it was really bent, or whether the pulley on the end was mounted off-centre.

Water-oil coolers can be got from EJ Bowman in Brum.

Having read the rest of the saga what about one of these for a Xsara? It looks a lot thinner than the Blingo one.

30940679.jpg

19 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

.....Water-oil coolers can be got from EJ Bowman in Brum.

Having read the rest of the saga what about one of these for a Xsara? It looks a lot thinner than the Blingo one.

30940679.jpg

Thanks, I have three correct 58/60mm oil coolers now headed this way, with the possibility of more. Apparently the ones made in stainless steel are less prone to internal corrosion so, if any of the trio are stainless, that's the one that will be fitted.

WCPGW?

8 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Thanks, I have three correct 58/60mm oil coolers now headed this way, with the possibility of more. Apparently the ones made in stainless steel are less prone to internal corrosion so, if any of the trio are stainless, that's the one that will be fitted.

WCPGW?

SelfishHiddenAnemoneshrimp-size_restrict

165 yoyos for a used one is an utter piss-take; you could probably take the shagged one to a S/S fabricator and get one made for a similar amount.

9 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

SelfishHiddenAnemoneshrimp-size_restrict

165 yoyos for a used one is an utter piss-take; you could probably take the shagged one to a S/S fabricator and get one made for a similar amount.

It is a total piss-take.

One of the three might go to a fabricator to see if new ones can be made, as you suggest. 

24 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

You can fit four human beings in an XJ-S, it just takes a while and some flexibility to get in/out of the back.

You can fit 14 human beings in a telephone box:

1829DD53-E0F3-455E-8229-9E31E4979AE4.thumb.jpeg.79bf4f7db5a4206f7b310e71641ee484.jpeg

but you wouldn’t necessarily want to.

My limited experience of riding in the back of an XJ-S required me to sit sideways, folded up across the seat. The amount of swearing involved in climbing in and out to fit a new headlining would make Chubby Brown blush.

Brake warning light blinked on the Focus this afternoon. Brake fluid was low.

I've just replaced the front pads as the lining fell off one, and there is a scrubbing noise I noticed this morning from the NSR on 'first braking'.

I assume a wheel cylinder is leaking back there.. That's my job for the weekend then...

On 6/10/2020 at 9:11 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

CX-Basis haven't had one in stock for months, so they are academic. 

I'm going to see if I can get hold of Stan Platts. Knowing my luck, he'll likely be in his other home in France, so won't have access to all his parts archives.

A message came in from a Dutch CX enthusiast who thinks he has a spare used one, so let's see what happens next....

https://www.oscaro.com/intercooler-echangeur-ava-deutschland-gmbh-cn4038-1060436-468-p#/?vid=16623

This one any good?

Think the Laguna II suffered windscreen wash pump failure on the way home earlier. It only sprays the back window. 

Reading up, it looks like the pump will need replacing. To do so, remove a wheel and arch liner to access washer bottle and pump. 

I must be bored as that actually sounds like an exciting and pretty simple challenge. 

4 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Think the Laguna II suffered windscreen wash pump failure on the way home earlier. It only sprays the back window. 

Reading up, it looks like the pump will need replacing. To do so, remove a wheel and arch liner to access washer bottle and pump. 

I must be bored as that actually sounds like an exciting and pretty simple challenge. 

Wheel off and peeling the front of the arch liner back should do it, although I can't now remember if the undertray (if you've still got it on) causes issues... 

The last time I stared a lag2 washer bottle in the face I'd taken the front bumper off to liberate parts for someone... 

39 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the washer pump is the same as the Citroen C5 or the same principal (because French).  As you can see on my awful diagram, the way the motor sprays F or R is by switching the polarity of the motor which forces a shuttle to block the opposing outlet in the outlet of the pump forcing the water to the right screen.  The one on the C5 comes apart and was just clogged with grit after I ignored the low washer level warning for too long.  It blocked up only letting water out the Rear window when you tried washing the front.

IMG_20200611_201919.jpg

Googling the Laguna pump has a photo of one with PSA and Renualt markings.  Probably the same and worth a strip and see if it'll clean up.  I used a small bit of washing up liquid when rebuilding it and it's been fine ever since. spacer.png

23 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Great result with the Rover. I'm bidding on a 25 on a certain e of bay at the moment, I must be bloody mad though as it has no mot and doesn't currently start, oh and its in Worthing. There's still over 5 days to go on the auction though and I'm expecting to get outbid. 

Have you had any communication with the seller, are you still the winning bidder?