The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, Frogchod said:

I like cx horns. 

A short push for a friendly Meep, push and hold for fuck off ya basterd air horns...

One of mine didn't work (think the diaphragm dried out), so I only have the one. Have a spare pair which will be tried once I get the head gasket done.

I did wonder if I should add a third trumpet for greater effect......

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

One of mine didn't work (think the diaphragm dried out), so I only have the one. Have a spare pair which will be tried once I get the head gasket done.

I did wonder if I should add a third trumpet for greater effect......

My first cx Pallas had the town and country horns -a standard clam shell pair for the first push  and the Fiamm air horns for a real blast. I don’t know that this was normal though. I have the clam shell horns in the 2cv at the moment.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

There’s a new series of chasing classic cars on quest ( and on demand on an app called Dplay). Bought a Stutz Bearcat that had been stored since 1931 -new plugs and leads and some fuel and water works and it was at pebble beach in its original condition. Fabulous that it’s not over restored.

I saw that. What a chariot. A definite 'don't do anything' machine.

The fleet have been fighting me lately.  Some habitual incompetence on my part hasn't helped the situation.

The Morris is still running weird, so I've bought a NOS Lucas distributor in case the old one is knackered.  There's only so many times I can blame points and condensers.  It'll benefit from having the timing set no doubt, so I'll get myself a timing light rather than rely on random tweaks of the dizzy.

The 11 has carb problems, which I'm hoping to sort with a used replacement.  Bigger issue is this appeared.

20200605_122904.thumb.jpg.d51f0fba50b3ff9487e7336ee879cfc3.jpg

I'd taken the carb off previously and replaced the broken choke rod (£12.81 fix FTW) but now the auto 'box warning light of doom has appeared, and the two must be related.  Too much of a coincidence I reckon, and it was fine beforehand.  Done loads of checks on wiring etc but still ongoing.  Bloody typical too as I'd decided to sell it, as I've no room for it sadly.  Or rather no undercover storage which ideally it needs.  I also think the bonnet hinges are suffering from fatigue, but seeing these two together perked me up.

20200603_202656.thumb.jpg.75f120ac18b7899ee423a087c945feb3.jpg

The Cavalier boiled over on me today. This one was pure incompetence as I forgot to put the expansion cap back on after topping up the water.  Conveniently placed so it jammed the bonnet shut.

20200607_165712.thumb.jpg.0706f5a603dee43ba99ef1745881cca1.jpg

Got there in the end.  Phew!  Normal service resumed.

Taxed the Metro today, but on reflection I daren't even touch that at the moment...

1 hour ago, RobT said:

The fleet have been fighting me lately.  Some habitual incompetence on my part hasn't helped the situation.

The Morris is still running weird, so I've bought a NOS Lucas distributor in case the old one is knackered.  There's only so many times I can blame points and condensers.  It'll benefit from having the timing set no doubt, so I'll get myself a timing light rather than rely on random tweaks of the dizzy.

The 11 has carb problems, which I'm hoping to sort with a used replacement.  Bigger issue is this appeared.

20200605_122904.thumb.jpg.d51f0fba50b3ff9487e7336ee879cfc3.jpg

I'd taken the carb off previously and replaced the broken choke rod (£12.81 fix FTW) but now the auto 'box warning light of doom has appeared, and the two must be related.  Too much of a coincidence I reckon, and it was fine beforehand.  Done loads of checks on wiring etc but still ongoing.  Bloody typical too as I'd decided to sell it, as I've no room for it sadly.  Or rather no undercover storage which ideally it needs.  I also think the bonnet hinges are suffering from fatigue, but seeing these two together perked me up.

20200603_202656.thumb.jpg.75f120ac18b7899ee423a087c945feb3.jpg

The Cavalier boiled over on me today. This one was pure incompetence as I forgot to put the expansion cap back on after topping up the water.  Conveniently placed so it jammed the bonnet shut.

20200607_165712.thumb.jpg.0706f5a603dee43ba99ef1745881cca1.jpg

Got there in the end.  Phew!  Normal service resumed.

Taxed the Metro today, but on reflection I daren't even touch that at the moment...

Has the gearbox got a kickdown cable attached to the carb? If it's too tight, problems could be caused.

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

My first cx Pallas had the town and country horns -a standard clam shell pair for the first push  and the Fiamm air horns for a real blast. I don’t know that this was normal though. I have the clam shell horns in the 2cv at the moment.

Mine came with an electric horn which was pathetic. The previous owner put it in because the air horns weren't working. 

I dismantled the air compressor and got it working, then managed to get one of the two trumpets freed off enough to bin the electric one.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

C30 gearbox has got a lot worse very suddenly. Fucksticks. Need to check the swirl arm hasn't fallen off but I'm very worried. I need to get that 205 home asap.

Eh? it's absolutely fine now. 

I'm still getting the 205 back. I really want to crack on with making it shiny.

3 hours ago, RobT said:

Bloody typical too as I'd decided to sell it, as I've no room for it sadly. 

When you do actually decide to sell it... dibs... 

EDIT: @Mrsbrownnova has reminded me she called dibs on this in the FoD after last years FOTU... 

But I think that’s one and the same... 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

When you do actually decide to sell it... dibs... 

EDIT: @Mrsbrownnova has reminded me she called dibs on this in the FoD after last years FOTU... 

But I think that’s one and the same... 

You two fall for cars a little too easily! That thing is a proper beauty though. 

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

You two fall for cars a little too easily! That thing is a proper beauty though. 

An 11 has been on my vehicular bucket list for like ever... 

We’ll see whether the timing works when Rob does want to move it on... life is changing lots at the mo! Plus I might have to sell to buy having just bought the 2CV... (which incidentally was what ruled me out of buying it when Bramz sold it too...) 

4 hours ago, RobT said:

..... I'd need to make sure the auto 'box isn't borked first obviously.  It still shifts fine so must be something stupid, I hope.

If it's beginning to slip, this might help keep it going for a little while - it worked on my CX before the gearbox finally gave up, so long as it was gently driven; flooring the throttle and engaging kick-down destroyed any benefit of using it.

Alternatively, if it's only the fluid that needs to be kept in reasonable order, I had reasonable results with this stuff

Just now, mitsisigma01 said:

Within walking distance but safer in a van, get in and out as quickly as possible, sounds just like Crawley 

That is the whole point of the exercise: get in, fling two big boxes of random leftover CX S2 parts in the back, and leave really quite quickly. At sixty-seven quid for 24 hours' smoll Kangoo van rental, can't afford to hang about.

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Having a laugh ain't they £67, probably cheaper in a taxi or don't they do 4 hour rentals? At that price might as well make a day of it and go car spotting and fish n chips in Whitstable 

Quite likely.

Never mind Whitstable, I could end up doing a Shitely run with other people's parts....

When I spotted a picture @Slowsilver in the April 2020 Car magazine I was sure they were asking his views on the Maclaren 765LT v the Lamborghini Aventador S he had driven recently!

But no, he was turning his head away in disgust from the crude Marina when the Maxi is transverse engine, FWD, 5 speed,  independent rear suspension hatchback with a modern OHC engine!

IMG_20200608_152605 broad.jpg

I left the Bluebird parked in the sun we had a couple of weeks ago with a few tapes on the dash. Yesterday I had Now 4 on, but it didn't want to eject for some reason. And having stripped the cassette player apart... Oh, that's not straight. (it's far more deformed than the picture suggests) 

IMG_20200608_114722.jpg

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That is the whole point of the exercise: get in, fling two big boxes of random leftover CX S2 parts in the back, and leave really quite quickly. At sixty-seven quid for 24 hours' smoll Kangoo van rental, can't afford to hang about.

Presumably hire vans are now ZOMG£££ because ZOMGPANDEMIC means everything white, cube-shaped and mobile is required for delivering 'essentials'. Before this nonsense shopping about could get you a days hire for less than £20.