The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I’ve not seen my x1/9 since February and I’m buying it presents!

so far it’s got a pair of new door stays and bushes, last month new old stock roof claw rubbers and yesterday a new interior door lamp ( I cracked the original with my knee when the door stay broke). One day I may be able to visit wales again and see the car ( and my parents of course).

Poor phone reception at my new* house, so went for a drive after the rush.

Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Blackstone edge,  Anyone familiar with the GGG will know the route.

Discovered that phone signal at the White House is as bad as my house, and ice creams cost  £2.50.

Mind you he did wipe his hands with alcohol* . Unsurprising really as he was having a fag when I pulled up.

*Not mentioned this before, but I have swopped houses  with my youngest son.

I've gone back to the Cottage I lived in when I got married, and have owned for 54 years.

Summit pub opens soon hopefully.

Youngest son and his family now have, garden, swings, garage.  I turn up when I feel like a go on the swing or the angry grinder.

Much kudos to my eldest son who is fine with this. We have talked and shared throughout our lives,

Can't fault my family.

Corsa welding on hold as yet again something else has come up.

I've had enough of the shower leaking into the living room every other week and having to patch up the terrible botch job done 4 years ago by the cowboys we had in so the whole lot is coming out and being reinstalled correctly. The floor tiles weren't laid right either and cracked almost straight away so that's all going to get redone too.

I just hope the house structure under the shower isn't rotten :(

No help but, the best part of my house/cottage is the bathroom. I installed it 10 years ago, my son tiled it.

It's quite small, but I feel like a king every time I go in there.

If you want a job doing properly DIY. At least you know who to blame.

Photos are a bit crap but I've drunk most of my fathers day wine a little early.

PICT0208.thumb.JPG.4d7b3f0cfae23aeb9ac4f6a9c8e9c4db.JPG

PICT0209.thumb.JPG.bd12a578345f48f47d59b0255e2cccd5.JPG

PICT0211.JPG

12 hours ago, Coprolalia said:

@Ghosty

I'm really glad that 205 has gone to you. It was about 20 minutes from me, and I was pretty frustrated when I was outbid on it, but have little cash on hand.

The advert seemed honest, and it looked so clean that it should be a good one.

Definitely keep me in mind as second in the queue when it comes time to change.

Sorry about that, hahaha. I'll certainly keep that in mind, I'm hoping to keep it for a fair old while though. 

The advert was as honest as you could ask for, the car was perfectly as described. The PO I spoke to also reiterated this, it must have been a minter before it was laid up. 
It's definitely clean, there's no structural rust at all, aside one or two bits of broken/missing interior trim it's pretty tidy. 
The woman I sold it to sold it on around 133k she reckons, to a bloke that showed up in an identical D Turbo. 

This bloke put the best bits from the other car on this one (and bundled any spares he didn't fit with it), ran it for about 5k then laid it up, the chap I got it from bought it a couple of months ago, got it MOTd then sold it as he prefers HDIs. 

Apparently when this woman owned it she somehow (through a warranty I think) got a free MOT from Kwik Fit, they tried to fleece her but she wasn't having it, she claims to force her to pay for the test they cut a brake hose then claimed it burst, and also scratched the bonnet with a lift (since replaced). 

I'm really eager to wash and clean it out one day this week, then try to revive the paint. I need to work out whether that's a job for claybar, G3, or 600 grit... the paint is rather flat. 
Next Sunday I'm off to Walsall for a set of pepperpots (with tyres!) to match the wheels up (as it's on shit Chinese tyres that need balancing), there are some new foglights on the way, and the cambelt/water pump are getting done ASAP. 

Walsall and back should cost about £10 in derv...

My one job to do on the fleet this weekend was to replace the nearside lower suspension arm on the Mondeo.  I failed dismally.  Couldn't get the ball joint out of the swivel hub.  Failed yesterday because my fork splitter was too small to fit and couldn't get the screw type splitter in there as the CV joint is in the way.  Went out this morning and bought myself a slightly bigger fork splitter, which fit OK, but no amount of twatting it with a lump hammer or jumping up and down on a 3' crowbar would persuade it to budge.  I had to give up in the end before the neighbours came out en masse and lynched me.  So I'm going to have to make an embarrassing 'phone call to the garage in the morning and ask them to do the front arm as well as the rear bush.  Which is another expense I could have done without at the moment.

Bloody moderns...

Just now, BeEP said:

...quite!  Polo below belongs to a friend; needed the headlamp unit replacing which was yesterday morning's job.  Actually not too bad to do, but it does remind me how the world of car design lost the plot around the turn of the century,

1115540338_Seranspolo1.thumb.JPG.6da4390be530bb7d6ade0ef12173ba7f.JPG

Fuck me, why do they design them so the front end needs stripping down? Although you have to take the unit out of my Focus at least it's only one bolt. 

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

...quite!  Polo below belongs to a friend; needed the headlamp unit replacing which was yesterday morning's job.  Actually not too bad to do, but it does remind me how the world of car design lost the plot around the turn of the century,

1115540338_Seranspolo1.thumb.JPG.6da4390be530bb7d6ade0ef12173ba7f.JPG

Golf 4 and Bora are the same. Even replacing a lens, never mind the whole headlight, means taking the front off.

The postman delivers the final reminder, sorry that's from a song. What he has brought me are two essential items for Vanden Plas 1500. A nice keying and a handbook. The handbook isn't really necessary as the car has very few controls and it's obvious what they do. Although the section on how to tie your cravat or bow tie may be useful, along with the guidance on the correct way to look down on drivers of the lesser Austin Allegro.

20200615_131459.jpg

9 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Surprised that you are still on this site with us mere non-vp mortals ?

Well one has to mix with the hoi polloi, socially distanced of course.

It is very much a Keeping up Appearances car, probably Hayacinth and Richard bought their Rover as a replacement. I have decided to call it the Austintatious 

2 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Well one has to mix with the hoi polloi, socially distanced of course.

It is very much a Keeping up Appearances car, probably Hayacinth and Richard bought their Rover as a replacement. I have decided to call it the Austintatious 

Is it as good as Mr & Mrs6c's, that's going to take some beating ?

Being only 5 years old at the time... Fk... I'm old... It was like a limo. 

Just looked up the meaning of "Ponton" meaning pontoon style or slab sided !!! 

It gave a few examples 

Early pontoon designs
220px-Bugatti_Type_32_Tank.jpg
1923 Bugatti Type 32 'Tank'
220px-Auto_Union_streamliner_concept_192
1923 Auto Union streamliner replica
220px-BMW_328_Mille_Miglia.JPG
1936 BMW 328 Mille Miglia
220px-Cisitalia_202.JPG
1946 Pininfarina Cisitalia 202
220px-WSTM_Team_Dustizeff_0020_%28croppe
1946 Crosley CC Sedan  
Some good some not so good !!! 

Did a DIY headlight polish on my Bongo this weekend as they were yellowing and had a weird film covering which was peeling. Had all the bits laying around and it took about 30 mins.  

All wet sanded - 1000 grit -> 2000 grit -> 3000 grit -> Autoglym Paint Renovator -> Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Before:

image.thumb.png.cbb70142bdd2ed5d8f0f6c77debadde4.png

image.thumb.png.9cf6c13648b71ee8f67dbca28fa66486.png

After:

image.thumb.png.4d60ae4bc0fda141731e8f8b475f1c7e.png

Photo's don't do it justice, makes quite a difference in person. Just need to find some sort of UV protection now, or let the next owner do it again!

Boss couldn't be fucked with Monday for the second week in a row so no work for me. Came home, and got to cleaning.
I thought the paint was flat and fucked but it was just massively dirty - I had to wash it twice! The bucket contents are from the first wash. However it's come up really well. I tried to clay bar it but it doesn't need it, the paint is actually fine!
All the clag on the wipe was congealed on the end of the indicator stalk...
Cleaned, wiped down, vacced out etc... It's actually really tidy! 4ff5c56e0be5fca3d6747274952e747f.jpg4a704cc6eb3fb32a802b053d39156988.jpgf9472f19bc5646f738f9a5eeac514664.jpg90d7d5a0153dc8e5d64ab0a8fd9d67ed.jpg

14 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

That’s a really nice colour. Posh seats in there as well!

D Turbos are the top spec diesels, hence the nice seats etc. Lots of XS/GT/GTi bits. 

U-Pull-It York are listing a 205 diesel of some sort, I might have to go and investigate that.