Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Excuse the crap pictures but it was one of those moments where I couldn't really get the phone out in time.

Came out of our office to see this over the road this morning.

IMG_20230830_075529.thumb.jpg.6ff467c5e503862410e170b88dcaadd5.jpg

The internet says it's a Dennis Trident. But it is still in full Go Ahead London General livery complete with LT roundel. Except this van popped up at exactly the wrong time so I managed to get another equally crap picture of it going away with Roundel visible.

IMG_20230830_075536_edit_508247750375701.thumb.jpg.99da649eef610ac8737492b5d7aa07cc.jpg

But more to the point there didn't seem to be any Blue Star markings at all. All the old buses they brought in to take over the First Bus routes when they pulled out were at least plastered in Blue Star stickers. This looks like it has literally driven down from London straight in to service. I can't ever remember another bus in service in Southampton carrying London Transport roundels. Not even the Routemasters.

I also saw DOE 26 later in the day. That too was red but didn't have roundels. But another thing I haven't seen in a long time in Southampton was the fact they have proper printed destination blinds rather than dot matrix. The fact that they have had to have blinds specially printed would suggest they are going to be here for a little while. I'll try and get better pictures at some point but I only really see them when I'm on delivery so I'm carrying a bundle of mail or pushing a trolley so it might take a while.

... and so draws to an end my current spell back at Cumbernauld depot; no more Easterhouse until October 24th. This week's been a bit of a weird one; a wee short Monday shift (1244-2053), 8am spare Tuesday and 0701-1901 Wednesday and today, neither of which were entirely uneventful - vehicle shortages meant I never hit the road til 0915 yesterday and 0900 today.

Rest days tomorrow and Saturday, then back to London Sunday onto a Monday backshift on the 425.

I did do a London log of sorts on my last London update but haven't done one for up here... so here we go.

Enviro 400MMC

10512 (five times)
10519 (four times)
10520 (twice)
10919 (twice)

MAN/ALX300 trainer

Enviro 200MMC

37483 (twice)

37486 (three times) 

37487 (three times)

37489 (four times)

37491 (twice)

37492 (four times)

37493 (three times)

37494 (twice)

London reports recommence next week!

Something a little unusual has come up for sale here that I have never seen before, a Setra 208h.

Galleribilde

It is very original and untouched on the inside

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/b2b/bus/ad.html?finnkode=307806048

The exterior photos are a bit poor, so I found one online of the same bus model and these are small with incredibly small wheels. Unfortunately, I can't find much information about them.

Screenshot2023-09-1121_55_47.thumb.png.9b7813c29740cfd655ed2ed1b4f886e0.png

Screenshot_20230811_205325_Photos.thumb.jpg.1b386822a7ea8d0d48bad05ed76b54cd.jpg

Apologies for there being a me in the shot, but not only was this one-of-six Daimler CVG6 with centre-door a joy to drive, the video on it did amazingly well too.

Keep-fit steering, three brake servos (one for each front wheel, one for the rear effectively acting on the handbrake mechanism), pre-select gearbox and a lovely Gardner six cylinder diesel.

My favourite fact, not mentioned in the video, is that the brake lights are operated by a mercury switch, so only come on with sufficient G force!

Only one conclusion to draw. I must feature more buses.

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Screenshot_20230811_205325_Photos.thumb.jpg.1b386822a7ea8d0d48bad05ed76b54cd.jpg

Apologies for there being a me in the shot, but not only was this one-of-six Daimler CVG6 with centre-door a joy to drive, the video on it did amazingly well too.

Keep-fit steering, three brake servos (one for each front wheel, one for the rear effectively acting on the handbrake mechanism), pre-select gearbox and a lovely Gardner six cylinder diesel.

My favourite fact, not mentioned in the video, is that the brake lights are operated by a mercury switch, so only come on with sufficient G force!

Only one conclusion to draw. I must feature more buses.

Do you need a PSV license to drive something like this, or is it de-classified? And I assume that normal 'driving other cars' cover doesn't extend to this insurance-wise...

47 minutes ago, N19 said:

Do you need a PSV license to drive something like this, or is it de-classified? And I assume that normal 'driving other cars' cover doesn't extend to this insurance-wise...

I believe any bus over 30 yrs old, once registered as a private vehicle, can be driven on a car licence.

Not sure the drive other car cover would work, if you pranged it :)

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

And that the brake lights come on when you accelerate in reverse - a surprisingly common way of operating the brake lights on a certain age of cars and commercials. I still have a little bottle of mercury that someone recovered from all of the brake light mercury tilt switches in Bournemouth trolleybuses. 

7 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

And that the brake lights come on when you accelerate in reverse - a surprisingly common way of operating the brake lights on a certain age of cars and commercials. I still have a little bottle of mercury that someone recovered from all of the brake light mercury tilt switches in Bournemouth trolleybuses. 

Not a secret poisoner are you? :-)  I had a pile of mercury tilt switches out of a series of late 70's farm/grassland machinery - they were there to cut the engine if we capsized the stuff on a hillside or into a ditch but they would, in a similar fashion to the buses, get triggered by a sudden lurch or the like - so they got removed. Very H&S back then wasn't it :-) ?

16 hours ago, jon.k said:

IMG_3767.JPG

I saw this on a schools run the other day - I couldn't believe it! The operator is Trooper's Lodge Motor Services who run some cool old buses/coaches, vans and recovery vehicles. 

Wow I didn't know Troopers Lodge had a school contract and thought all their classic buses were for private hire only. Here's another even older member of the fleet (a 1956 Exeter Corporation Guy Arab IV with Massey body).

TFJ 808 - Troopers Lodge Garage

And something a little more in keeping with these beige pages:

G215 TEG - 1990 Rover Maestro 500 L van

2 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Not a secret poisoner are you? :-)  I had a pile of mercury tilt switches out of a series of late 70's farm/grassland machinery - they were there to cut the engine if we capsized the stuff on a hillside or into a ditch but they would, in a similar fashion to the buses, get triggered by a sudden lurch or the like - so they got removed. Very H&S back then wasn't it :-) ?

At school in the 70s , we were allowed to dip our finger in a dish of mercury. It’s actually mercury vapour and mercury compounds that are really poisonous. The liquid is relatively safe though it can obviously give off vapour so sniffing it wouldn’t be a good idea. I think people working with it everyday were at risk , rather than school kids touching it once.

We also had asbestos mats in chemistry back then.

10 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

At school in the 70s , we were allowed to dip our finger in a dish of mercury. It’s actually mercury vapour and mercury compounds that are really poisonous. The liquid is relatively safe though it can obviously give off vapour so sniffing it wouldn’t be a good idea. I think people working with it everyday were at risk , rather than school kids touching it once.

We also had asbestos mats in chemistry back then.

And we are not dead yet.😄

Understand that First has decided to trial a number of zero emissions buses on the same route and have chosen Sheffield's 51 service. This route has destroyed demonstrators since the 60's due to its brutal nature (everything from national speed limits, town centre crawling and big steep hills). The first one was Volvo BZL BV23NNT which I understand didn't even manage a single round trip. 

Must get the camera out...

1 hour ago, jon.k said:

I saw this near Calais in the summer.

IMG_1670.jpeg

Well, at least they could grow tomatoes at the front.

Actually, one of those for conversation isn’t the worst idea. Bags of internal space to build into, Merc power on the early ones but the electrics had a habit of going to sleep and could only made to function again with a laptop and Optares proprietary software. From 20 years ago.