1993 Citroen XM

maxxo

So the other day I had the last bulb pop behind the dash

which led to absolutely zero illumination, nothing at all, which made an evening drive back from the metro centre through an average speed check zone a barrel of laughs

anyway, hopped on eBay and for the pricely sum of Ā£6 I purchased a pack of bulbsĀ 

spent an hour today replacing them all

C4A0BE2D-6B71-40EF-B864-9150F60A0BC3.thumb.jpeg.bf4ab3894e0d0144f3cada880dd33328.jpeg

and doesn't that look absolutely awesome!

a massive improvementĀ 

oh I also filled up with diesel 400 miles ago, bear in mind a lot of it has been town driving and hilly country roads, it's proving very frugal

i reckon I won't have to refuel before the new year, I'd say I've comfortably got 200 miles left

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It's a shame they don't make cars like that anymore. Where did things go wrong to make appliance-coloured bloated crossovers with fugly grilles considered trendy!?

Imagine the absolute fucking liability Citroen could make if they made another, really go all out on hydro suspension and make a completely mental car

it would be fantastic

itll never happen, they seem happy making dull blobs

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

Imagine the absolute fucking liability Citroen could make if they made another, really go all out on hydro suspension and make a completely mental car

it would be fantastic

itll never happen, they seem happy making dull blobs

Dull sells..

Sadly.

12 hours ago, ETCHY said:

Dull sells..

Sadly.

Sadly indeed, give me an 80s/90s wedge any day of the week, either are waaaay better than modern SUV blobs.

We had a Pug 3008 SUV as a hire car this summer on hols, I've literally never been so bored in a car. 8spd auto 1.5 diesel, DULL AF. Great torque below 2k rpm, which made for great driveability, but fuck all else. Wasn't even that economical, we did about 1000 miles and it was mid/high 40s mpg (under 50 for sure)

5 minutes ago, Tomtation said:

Sadly indeed, give me an 80s/90s wedge any day of the week, either are waaaay better than modern SUV blobs.

We had a Pug 3008 SUV as a hire car this summer on hols, I've literally never been so bored in a car. 8spd auto 1.5 diesel, DULL AF. Great torque below 2k rpm, which made for great driveability, but fuck all else. Wasn't even that economical, we did about 1000 miles and it was mid/high 40s mpg (under 50 for sure)

I'm not sure what I'd go for if I was buying a brand new modern

probably a Hyundai ioniq 5 as it at least stands out

the rest is just anonymous blobs these days

On 29/12/2023 at 10:54, maxxo said:

These should be arriving soon

remade dealer plates with the original supplying dealer markings

im so excited

04A3A65E-AFB1-4F0B-B615-3A3D400F4FC9.thumb.png.b1a9f8259b44596693dbe2e1550b8ece.png

IĀ sort ofĀ did this for the Maestro. They are not quite fully faithful reproductions but a close match within the bounds of Ā£not stupid money

Screenshot_20231230_152738_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231230_152802_Gallery.jpg

10 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I guess it also needs glow plugs, wonder how much of a faff they are on this engineĀ 

they aren't too bad , they are not the thin little ones that snap off easily.Ā  Inlet manifold off (4 bolts and a jubilee I think).Ā  Only faf on the Bosch pump engine is the plug closest to the pump is fiddly, but I seem to remember it can be done without removing the pump but may need some inventiveness on the tool front.Ā  The others I think will not fit a socket but will come off with a ring spanner.Ā 

That said I'd check the relay first before going at the glowplugs.Ā Ā 

EDIT. I think you will also need an R-clip tool to get the EGR pipe off (and replace it) in order to remove the manifoldĀ 

6 hours ago, maxxo said:

Will properly update this thread tomorrow

these arrived today, they've done an excellent job!

will fit tomorrow

18437BA1-CF0F-47D1-9A67-68AC81381190.jpeg

Gotta be said maxxo they look fantastic. No offence grogee but those ones you had done are nowhere near.Ā 

Mounted the rear plate today with success

also met up with a friend today in his C5

had a drive of said C5, 1.6 HDi 110

I was incredibly impressed with the way it drove, but then again I am a 1.6 HDi fan

xm still doing sterling service, needs spheres but otherwise all is good

strut tops are like new as well!

40F0BF4B-1778-4FBE-94A3-8188F1A1AA5F.jpeg

1DC9DF91-5CE7-40DF-8D14-89F98530DA45.jpeg

80FD5779-5505-450A-8A32-6209B422B99D.jpeg

On 30/12/2023 at 18:14, wesacosa said:

they aren't too bad , they are not the thin little ones that snap off easily.Ā  Inlet manifold off (4 bolts and a jubilee I think).Ā  Only faf on the Bosch pump engine is the plug closest to the pump is fiddly, but I seem to remember it can be done without removing the pump but may need some inventiveness on the tool front.Ā  The others I think will not fit a socket but will come off with a ring spanner.Ā 

That said I'd check the relay first before going at the glowplugs.Ā Ā 

EDIT. I think you will also need an R-clip tool to get the EGR pipe off (and replace it) in order to remove the manifoldĀ 

I've decided glowplugs is a job that can fuck off

ill get my partners dad to do it at some point

its not horrendous if you cycle them twiceĀ 

I also suspect the battery isn't in the first flush of youth either

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to really report, it's functioning well as a method of transport

had it serviced yesterday, comments were made on how excellent it is underneath, pipe work is like new etc

will need a new exhaust back box

oh and is pulling much more cleanly after the service, I presume due to a new fuel filterĀ