The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

35 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

When are you likely to hear back?  Rooting for you mate, L2 and beyond is where you ought to be.

I heard back just now, didn't get it, they said they needed someone with longer term O365 admin experience. It was worth a shot. I think I need to hope for an extension on my 6 month contract to gain more on the job experience.

6 minutes ago, reb said:

I heard back just now, didn't get it, they said they needed someone with longer term O365 admin experience. It was worth a shot. I think I need to hope for an extension on my 6 month contract to gain more on the job experience.

Bad luck!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Worth a go.  Next time.

24 minutes ago, reb said:

Sorry you didn't get it, but always worth a try and I'm sure you've learned something in the process.

37 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Bad luck!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Worth a go.  Next time.

Honestly I'm amazed I even got an interview, the lower end of the pay scale was more than 50% more what I earn at the moment! Though apparently that might have more to do with this job being underpaid than anything.

33 minutes ago, reb said:

Honestly I'm amazed I even got an interview, the lower end of the pay scale was more than 50% more what I earn at the moment! Though apparently that might have more to do with this job being underpaid than anything.

The great thing about the industry is that if you don't get that job, there will be another one in a bit that comes along that's similar.  Really informed my attitude towards (mildly) negotiating my salary (during interview) with my current employer.  I didn't have anything to lose, so I just... did.

My end of the industry is AV/meeting room tech/etc, so slightly different from desktop stuff etc. I was mildly annoyed at my current job and had some frustrations, poked my nose into what's online and who's hiring, applied for one that interested me and a week later had the job. Much less stressful looking for a job when you already have one and it's a matter of either staying the same or getting better.

1 hour ago, reb said:

Good hustle chief! Sounds like you have all the right things in the CV/application approach, and acquitted yourself well at interview. As you say, a bit more experience then swing for it again!

4 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Good hustle chief! Sounds like you have all the right things in the CV/application approach, and acquitted yourself well at interview. As you say, a bit more experience then swing for it again!

I think next time round I need to make it clearer the amount of self-learning I do for things I don't get a chance to learn at work. I'm doing a security course at the moment that'll probably look quite good on the old CV!

Just now, reb said:

I think next time round I need to make it clearer the amount of self-learning I do for things I don't get a chance to learn at work. I'm doing a security course at the moment that'll probably look quite good on the old CV!

It's that old chestnut :

people like to see qualifications - but it doesn't mean the person is any good at it

They want experience - still doesn't mean that the person is any good.

If you spend the time getting qualifications, there is no time for experience and vice versa.

The only way folk will know is once someone is in post.

TL:Dr - much like exams, job applications are an imperfect approach to measure competence.

1 minute ago, 320touring said:

It's that old chestnut :

people like to see qualifications - but it doesn't mean the person is any good at it

They want experience - still doesn't mean that the person is any good.

If you spend the time getting qualifications, there is no time for experience and vice versa.

The only way folk will know is once someone is in post.

TL:Dr - much like exams, job applications are an imperfect approach to measure competence.

I've been told by several senior agents and DTLs that I'm far better at my job than they'd expect from someone who's only been doing it a few months. I have no doubt that I could do most of the jobs that ask for 2 years experience no problem. There's no real way of proving that though is the thing. Everyone says they're a fast learner, but are they though? I definitely am, just need to figure out a way to show that.

2 minutes ago, reb said:

I've been told by several senior agents and DTLs that I'm far better at my job than they'd expect from someone who's only been doing it a few months. I have no doubt that I could do most of the jobs that ask for 2 years experience no problem. There's no real way of proving that though is the thing. Everyone says they're a fast learner, but are they though? I definitely am, just need to figure out a way to show that.

Sounds positive. In that instance it may be worth seeing if you can get yourself involved in a project/piece of work that will let you show your skills/fast learning.

Don't be shy, ask. And don't be afraid to say "I could do with some help/guidance". It's better to learn the right way than fuck up and have to fix it.

Then, once you've proven it you have an example to show that everyone knows about when you are back in the interview again

2 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Sounds positive. In that instance it may be worth seeing if you can get yourself involved in a project/piece of work that will let you show your skills/fast learning.

Don't be shy, ask. And don't be afraid to say "I could do with some help/guidance". It's better to learn the right way than fuck up and have to fix it.

Then, once you've proven it you have an example to show that everyone knows about when you are back in the interview again

One of the senior agents is leaving for a new job soon and is on a one man crusade to get as much of the service desk as possible into better jobs. He's given me a list of learning to do on our training portal and what internal jobs would suit me. I think for now I'm going to focus on that and not think too much about the fact I only have a month left on my contract! While applying for external jobs too of course.

19 minutes ago, 320touring said:

This.  I had a chat with my manager a few weeks ago (the firm has six full-time employees including myself) and I pointed out my lack of networking experience.  Lo and behold the next day he'd arranged for us to do some work de-commisioning servers from a data centre and re-commisionning (and re-networking) them elsewhere.  It's been delayed twice but it was a swift offer to plug a knowledge gap.  They've also offered to pay for whatever qualifications I want...

10 minutes ago, reb said:

One of the senior agents is leaving for a new job soon and is on a one man crusade to get as much of the service desk as possible into better jobs. He's given me a list of learning to do on our training portal and what internal jobs would suit me. I think for now I'm going to focus on that and not think too much about the fact I only have a month left on my contract! While applying for external jobs too of course.

One thing I'd say is ask for feedback, sounds like you got it from this most recent interview, but it's good to know why you didn't get the role as that can inform in the future what you apply for / what skills you learn / whether to brush up on interview technique etc.

Also, don't let finite experience requirements etc put you off. When I've recruited for people, I see the spec as being 'the perfect candidate' or 'the finished product' of a person who's been doing the job for a bit, so unless it's something really fundamental, not ticking every single box is less important than what the person knows/what they're like.

They said my interview technique was good and they were impressed with the range of knowledge I have from my training last year. I'm going to keep an eye on the nearby universities job boards as I've worked in education IT before and quite enjoyed it. I just wish I'd stuck with it because I might have actually got somewhere by now!

Trotted off to the local breakers to find a fuel filter head that accepts cheap filters to run on the Laguna, I want to use biodiesel and you get through a lot of fuel filters for the first few months! I removed the filter heads from a Ssangyong Musso and an old E class Merc. The parts are virtually identical but the Musso has brass fittings and the Merc uses plastic, the Musso item is the better one to use apparently. 

I also retrieved a load of Corsa B wing screws and those spring loaded clip things they screw into as the Volvo 145 in my garage has a stack missing. They’ve done the job a treat! 

583C9FA1-F081-48B1-B2E6-47B03946DDAB.jpeg

F4864056-9084-4DE5-A5A9-F708FCF00C00.jpeg

0066BCAE-DD8B-4959-99CD-8CDB4A3D48DE.jpeg

473DD0ED-1595-46C9-84DA-F293DADF7E1C.jpeg

EF4B1956-AADC-4FBA-9EE8-D8D45113A4D9.jpeg

Went with the kids to visit the recently voted best beach in Britain only to discover that @Jim Bellhad taken us here 3 years ago when I won his Bini Cooper thanks to @Tickman😊.  “Your Uncle Ben bought you an ice cream here” “Nah dad he makes the rice” is a conversation that didn’t happen (only in my head) I think the sun has got to me 🙈😂

BA47B07E-1F0D-4E03-A766-BE9625342FA5.jpeg

2937976C-036B-43D0-84BF-52214A1D35D5.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

I'll be visiting this as the only advertising they've done is using car bonnets of various types! 

Question too - isn't this one an MG? I think it's glass..... Will check tomorrow. Shout if it's interesting to anyone 

IMG_20220708_195944.thumb.jpg.0ef8ab4719eb176dd8d718f4b69347db.jpg

The front corner backs up the MG guess - doesn't it? 

IMG_20220708_200004.thumb.jpg.0ecf88496cc40f4a1dfc8427af70d9b5.jpg

Yes, Midget.  It must be glass, because not rusty!

2 hours ago, aldo135 said:

Went with the kids to visit the recently voted best beach in Britain only to discover that @Jim Bellhad taken us here 3 years ago when I won his Bini Cooper thanks to @Tickman😊.  “Your Uncle Ben bought you an ice cream here” “Nah dad he makes the rice” is a conversation that didn’t happen (only in my head) I think the sun has got to me 🙈😂

BA47B07E-1F0D-4E03-A766-BE9625342FA5.jpeg

2937976C-036B-43D0-84BF-52214A1D35D5.jpeg

Ah man, you should have given me a shout. I could have got the ice creams in!

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Stanley Bridges, must be late 50s early 60s.  There was a matching compressor, which you attached to your electric drill.  Happy days when you could respray your car out on the driveway with one of these.   www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294795435519?_

Or vacuum cleaner in reverse? My dad sprayed stuff (not cars) like that. Inline Hoover, iirc

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Doesn't that normally happen when you ADD one to the fleet? 

Usually yes, the current welding job has been queued  for 9 months.  As soon the mustang is glued back together  consideration will be given to another. The GF has already said positive things about Triumph stags and Mk1 Granadas, so theres a whole world of grief,  welding, heartache  and financial ruin ever ready.