Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

Serviced the Avensis today. I despise Crosland parts (spotted the Crosland oil filter and air filter) and despite the last service being less than 2k miles ago in the history and invoices, it was about a year or so ago. 
 

everything  bar the fuel filter was done, as that’s on order, a quality Blueprint item due on Tuesday. Bosch plugs taken out and better NGK ones in. I also treated it to a bottle of Liqui Moly Ceratec which at £20 odd was expensive but it is proven to work so wanted to give it the best. Runs lovely. 
 

Pollen filters have clearly never been changed. What an experience finding and replacing them but thanks to @BorniteIdentityfor the advice. 

5FDA20EA-B2AC-4FB6-B9A7-86C8F54F8EBF.jpeg

55820F84-ADEF-4F43-91BF-D31555991F46.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wheel nut said:

@Tickman 's update on the problem his daughter had with a wheel seized onto the hub reminded me of an issue I had myself that I meant to revisit. One of my dailys is a Dacia Logan which failed it’s MOT a few months ago on rusty discs. I changed them and the pads myself but the biggest problem I had was getting the wheels off. I had to resort to a combination of a sledgehammer plus driving it with loose wheel bolts on my driveway to get them to break free. 

When putting the wheels back on after rebuilding the brakes, they were still ominously tight to go onto the hubs so I reckoned it’s the bit of the hub that pokes through the wheel centre that was sticking.  So today I took the wheels off again and sanded the rust off the hub centres before applying a small amount of grease to try to stop them from rusting to the wheels again. I used the grease sparingly as the last thing I want is excess grease finding its way to my shiny new discs. The wheels slipped back on easily this time so hopefully this will do the trick.

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.1fda012623ea560dd3702ef6e8592f16.JPG

A quick job to do which I hope will save me hassle in the long term. I don’t usually carry a sledgehammer around with me in case of getting a puncture so goodness knows what I would have done if I had discovered this by the roadside.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long was it since your wheels were last off? My front wheels had last been off 18 months before I found then stuck to the hubs but that 18 months included 2 winters which is probably when most of the corrosion occurs.

If you can’t get your (usually) rear alloy wheels off the hub, I recommend tightening the nuts up and dropping the jack down.

When on the floor, loosen each nut 1 full turn.  Then get hold of the car somewhere where you’re not likely to dent it and shake it side to side as hard as you can.  

The wheel and hub will soon part company as you’re putting their mating faces under a lot of strain / movement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wifes CRX had been languishing unloved down on her dads driveway for at least a couple of years and a decision has to be made whether to keep it or move it on.

IMG20220618174316.thumb.jpg.f3186ae85fc8a871631ff4e9260afea7.jpg

IMG20220619132958.thumb.jpg.0e06396e90cb022b5a91c71531fec7c4.jpg

So last weekend it got hit with a jet washer and my faithful jump pack (cheers Rac) was clipped on to its long dead battery,and being a Honda it coughed into life within a couple of seconds.

We have now bought it back home and i will have a look under it to see what's needed for another mot and then decide it's fate.

Trouble is being left abandoned unloved for so long has allowed grot to burst through the paint on drivers rear wheel arch and the end of the n/s rear sill.

And the laquer on the n/s front wing has started to peel off too,the paintwork was never great but now it's really showing where it has had various touch ups throughout its life.

It's an auto so it's not even slightly sporty to drive but it got lots of comments when its was being used.

The local car cash back place has offered £375 for it which surprised me I guess Honda cats are worth good money but I would need to remove the plate from it first.

Can I pull the plate off it without out it having a current Mot (expired 2019 I think) ?

IMG20220620071836.thumb.jpg.01800fcfbcdbe1ca692239d4934f5ab7.jpg

IMG20220620071847.thumb.jpg.3e2ac40e3fc3fb739562e000afcc2346.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

My wifes CRX had been languishing unloved down on her dads driveway for at least a couple of years and a decision has to be made whether to keep it or move it on.

IMG20220618174316.thumb.jpg.f3186ae85fc8a871631ff4e9260afea7.jpg

IMG20220619132958.thumb.jpg.0e06396e90cb022b5a91c71531fec7c4.jpg

So last weekend it got hit with a jet washer and my faithful jump pack (cheers Rac) was clipped on to its long dead battery,and being a Honda it coughed into life within a couple of seconds.

We have now bought it back home and i will have a look under it to see what's needed for another mot and then decide it's fate.

Trouble is being left abandoned unloved for so long has allowed grot to burst through the paint on drivers rear wheel arch and the end of the n/s rear sill.

And the laquer on the n/s front wing has started to peel off too,the paintwork was never great but now it's really showing where it has had various touch ups throughout its life.

It's an auto so it's not even slightly sporty to drive but it got lots of comments when its was being used.

The local car cash back place has offered £375 for it which surprised me I guess Honda cats are worth good money but I would need to remove the plate from it first.

Can I pull the plate off it without out it having a current Mot (expired 2019 I think) ?

IMG20220620071836.thumb.jpg.01800fcfbcdbe1ca692239d4934f5ab7.jpg

IMG20220620071847.thumb.jpg.3e2ac40e3fc3fb739562e000afcc2346.jpg

Those things are worth BIG bucks in parts. If it has the 1590cc engine, IIRC they're a grand on their own

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wheel nut said:

@Tickman 's update on the problem his daughter had with a wheel seized onto the hub reminded me of an issue I had myself that I meant to revisit. One of my dailys is a Dacia Logan which failed it’s MOT a few months ago on rusty discs. I changed them and the pads myself but the biggest problem I had was getting the wheels off. I had to resort to a combination of a sledgehammer plus driving it with loose wheel bolts on my driveway to get them to break free. 

When putting the wheels back on after rebuilding the brakes, they were still ominously tight to go onto the hubs so I reckoned it’s the bit of the hub that pokes through the wheel centre that was sticking.  So today I took the wheels off again and sanded the rust off the hub centres before applying a small amount of grease to try to stop them from rusting to the wheels again. I used the grease sparingly as the last thing I want is excess grease finding its way to my shiny new discs. The wheels slipped back on easily this time so hopefully this will do the trick.

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.1fda012623ea560dd3702ef6e8592f16.JPG

A quick job to do which I hope will save me hassle in the long term. I don’t usually carry a sledgehammer around with me in case of getting a puncture so goodness knows what I would have done if I had discovered this by the roadside.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long was it since your wheels were last off? My front wheels had last been off 18 months before I found then stuck to the hubs but that 18 months included 2 winters which is probably when most of the corrosion occurs.

A problem I always see from cars that have come in for their first independent service after being in the main dealer network for years. 

2014 Skoda Yeti I had yesterday, had to hammer the shit out of the rear wheels. Tyres dated 2017, presumably the last time those wheels were off. Rear brakes were absolutely fucked, so that hadn't been spotted on the previous services either... Again, clearly the wheels weren't taken off. 

Cleaned up the hub surface and wheel surface, small smear of grease and it shouldn't get stuck again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

No its only got the low fat 123bhp 1585cc engine.

Shame. But I wouldn't be taking the first offer, there are people who will buy the whole car for parts and pay a decent price 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, beko1987 said:

School fete today and they were selling decent beer for £3 a pint... North of £7 in the pubs round here. 

I had 4... Think the kids came home with me 🤔 I don't drink alot anymore

Have you done a headcount?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Big day for the ex @BorniteIdentityAvensis SR, it's now in Euroland doing this:

IMG_0128.thumb.JPG.5b91b8cc74c244ffcf725e23674f6f45.JPG

As recently reported it went straight through an MoT, since then it's had a full belt change, new clutch and replacement coolant tank.

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.5bd3165591de57a92be5a9026e59aa0a.JPG

 

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.e4497e40bfeab7f322c6b644949bd3cd.JPG

As recetly as Thursday evening it got used for taxi duties, carting Miss SL's BF's family to meet us for a farewell meal. It's covered around 1,000 miles since purchase and it's done a great job, so they feel confident in it.

They left us yesterday afternoon, making it down to an overnight stop in Ashford. By happy coincidence they ended up at the same place as an R-reg Corolla hatchback ( @Datsuncog style) that was also on the rally. Other cars I've seen taking part include a 'proper' Fiat panda, R-reg Rover 618, another Toyota or two and a Mk1 Honda CRV painted-up in Jurassic Park colours. Daniel will be happy to see the Avensis has only received the obligatory stickers, and there was consternation when one of them pulled off some lacquer when it needed to be repositioned....

A Volvo saloon shed a belt before even making the start, hopefully they got it sorted.

Compared to some they've got it easy in the Avensis. There's just the two of them and it swallowed all their luggage, camping gear for the trip home etc without any problem. I believe there's a Yaris taking part with four lads on board!

They've now made it as far as Brussels, via Calais, so at the end of day one that's a couple of countries ticked-off.

Daughter and her boyfriend are both just 18 and have never driven abroad before. Inevitably there's a bit of anxiousness here but I hope they have a great time and get back safe and well (including the car). I can't help but feel a little bit envious....

I think about this old Hector daily.  Had I known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have sold it - but I'm glad it's gone to such a great home and has had such care lavished on it already.  What a brilliant thing it is.

Keep us updated! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought two new batteries from ECP last week.  They were on special offer and were only about £31 each (Varta 12V 33AH). Today I replaced the nearly dead 2014 battery in my Reliant and, as expected after a fuel pump diaphragm replacement last week, it took a good 45 seconds to reprime the fuel system. I let the starter have a minute or two to recover from the shock then, much to my slight surprise, the engine started and ran beautifully on the second attempt and  I let it idle for several minutes. The general plan is to de-clutter the Reliant after its slumber since September last year, give it a clean to remove the garage dust, then maybe give it a brief test drive.  It will then be ready to sell as a runner in the next month or two.

The other new battery will go in to my 1980s mobility scooter and I'll buy another new one because it takes two. If the Reliant had not started, both new batteries would have gone into the scooter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Joey spud said:

My wifes CRX had been languishing unloved down on her dads driveway for at least a couple of years and a decision has to be made whether to keep it or move it on.

IMG20220618174316.thumb.jpg.f3186ae85fc8a871631ff4e9260afea7.jpg

IMG20220619132958.thumb.jpg.0e06396e90cb022b5a91c71531fec7c4.jpg

So last weekend it got hit with a jet washer and my faithful jump pack (cheers Rac) was clipped on to its long dead battery,and being a Honda it coughed into life within a couple of seconds.

We have now bought it back home and i will have a look under it to see what's needed for another mot and then decide it's fate.

Trouble is being left abandoned unloved for so long has allowed grot to burst through the paint on drivers rear wheel arch and the end of the n/s rear sill.

And the laquer on the n/s front wing has started to peel off too,the paintwork was never great but now it's really showing where it has had various touch ups throughout its life.

It's an auto so it's not even slightly sporty to drive but it got lots of comments when its was being used.

The local car cash back place has offered £375 for it which surprised me I guess Honda cats are worth good money but I would need to remove the plate from it first.

Can I pull the plate off it without out it having a current Mot (expired 2019 I think) ?

IMG20220620071836.thumb.jpg.01800fcfbcdbe1ca692239d4934f5ab7.jpg

IMG20220620071847.thumb.jpg.3e2ac40e3fc3fb739562e000afcc2346.jpg

Thats really nice, looks clean for a delsol, they can rot like fuck but if the body is OK (and it looks it) it's definitely saveable. That VTEC engine is worth a bit. 375 scrap is an absolute rip off, you could stick that on eBay for 1500 and it'd fly off.

It's a good colour too. 

 

Needs an MOT for plate retention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a rotation on the wheels on the Avensis a few days ago after I stuck the originals back on. The fronts had very recent tyres but the rears are like 6 years old. Turns out the rears are misshapen due to the low mileage and never getting used, and I’d get an odd vibration even though they were balanced. Two new tyres being fitted Tuesday, £93. Say what you want about budgets, but these Autogreens from National are A rated for wet grip allegedly and with the 10% discount it was a no brainier. Plus it is no sports car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

Mini stuboy has been a bit off.. earache snotty nose... so I offered to take him out in the v6.. within a mile he was sparko, so a nice drive around the country side and most mpg I've ever had...

Screenshot_20220626-200011_Maps.jpg

20220625_185323.jpg

20220626_192745.jpg

20220626_144733.jpg

20220626_144805.jpg

Jesus Christ 😂was that at full throttle for that MPG?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just lost the arse end of the Lexus LS400 massively at 15mph with the whole family on board. It was heavy rain granted but I wasn't travelling at speed, I was driving smoothly and  barely applied any throttle. 

The back tyres were inflated correctly, they've worn evenly, the tread is OK but they're sailuns. Gonna have to spunk some money on crossclimates for the back. I've always bought cheap tyres and I've never had a problem but that was marginally scary

This car badly wants me to hate it. It's just back from having a fair old chunk of work and a hefty-ish bill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had an eventful day car wise… 

Visiting the parents in Stratford on Avon this weekend, and discover it’s the Volvo owners club national meet there this weekend. We made plans to duck off for a couple of hours. Cars a bit dirty… let’s take it to the car wash says the good lady. Hand car wash in Stratford is double the price of back home so off to the automated car wash it is. 

Mid wash it cuts out… and won’t restart. We end up having to push it out of the car wash… 

2F689873-EC44-4342-92FB-8892C5C50359.jpeg

Spins but no catch. Check all the bits I can being 150 miles from home with no tools. Still nothing. Eventually 15 mins later it splutters back to life… and dies instantly. Another 10 or so minutes and we have life… odd. Must have been water in there somewhere.

Drove it off to the Volvo national… only for it to cut out again and not want to restart at a junction this time. Fucksticks.

5 mins later it was going again. So drove it back to my folks instead and walked down to Volvo national.

7881FC5C-0206-4752-961E-8CF22F6CF8BF.jpeg4E02448A-2F34-4798-B095-4C0A32E8BEC9.jpeg1B0EDA39-18DB-41E0-947B-A79A1F99B9F2.jpeg0B467359-9062-43C5-8ED3-4D05C9414CBC.jpeg3EAC6569-A4FE-4C2A-BFA8-5AA0838A221F.jpegA575ADCD-C051-42A0-9613-03B6C1CC1108.jpeg63705EE6-14CC-464B-899A-94902DAC04F7.jpeg6B473708-6934-443A-99B2-A78051A94F9B.jpeg

Apt sticker… 

F44D00DD-21CB-4DD0-9EF4-2CA3526F3D9E.jpeg

Probably would have had more fun if a) I wasn’t trying to figure out what was wrong with my Volvo, b) we had had the Volvo in the meet. It was ok, not a massive meet compared to Saab and 2CV nationals I have been to before.

Still the small matter of driving 150 miles home. Took a test run with my brothers to see if it would cut out and it didn’t, so braved the motorways with the littluns on board… that was stressful!! Breaking down on my own.. or with it he wife… meh. Breaking down with a 2 year old and a 5 month old… nightmare. However… 

A8DFCAC1-DE8E-4FE4-867C-54D652BC7F82.jpeg

Safely home, must have been water in the system somewhere.

Once home my wife confessed she’d never been through an automated car wash before “I was always too scared of breaking down in one” she says… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Had an eventful day car wise… 

Visiting the parents in Stratford on Avon this weekend, and discover it’s the Volvo owners club national meet there this weekend. We made plans to duck off for a couple of hours. Cars a bit dirty… let’s take it to the car wash says the good lady. Hand car wash in Stratford is double the price of back home so off to the automated car wash it is. 

Mid wash it cuts out… and won’t restart. We end up having to push it out of the car wash… 

2F689873-EC44-4342-92FB-8892C5C50359.jpeg

Spins but no catch. Check all the bits I can being 150 miles from home with no tools. Still nothing. Eventually 15 mins later it splutters back to life… and dies instantly. Another 10 or so minutes and we have life… odd. Must have been water in there somewhere.

Drove it off to the Volvo national… only for it to cut out again and not want to restart at a junction this time. Fucksticks.

5 mins later it was going again. So drove it back to my folks instead and walked down to Volvo national.

7881FC5C-0206-4752-961E-8CF22F6CF8BF.jpeg4E02448A-2F34-4798-B095-4C0A32E8BEC9.jpeg1B0EDA39-18DB-41E0-947B-A79A1F99B9F2.jpeg0B467359-9062-43C5-8ED3-4D05C9414CBC.jpeg3EAC6569-A4FE-4C2A-BFA8-5AA0838A221F.jpegA575ADCD-C051-42A0-9613-03B6C1CC1108.jpeg63705EE6-14CC-464B-899A-94902DAC04F7.jpeg6B473708-6934-443A-99B2-A78051A94F9B.jpeg

Apt sticker… 

F44D00DD-21CB-4DD0-9EF4-2CA3526F3D9E.jpeg

Probably would have had more fun if a) I wasn’t trying to figure out what was wrong with my Volvo, b) we had had the Volvo in the meet. It was ok, not a massive meet compared to Saab and 2CV nationals I have been to before.

Still the small matter of driving 150 miles home. Took a test run with my brothers to see if it would cut out and it didn’t, so braved the motorways with the littluns on board… that was stressful!! Breaking down on my own.. or with it he wife… meh. Breaking down with a 2 year old and a 5 month old… nightmare. However… 

A8DFCAC1-DE8E-4FE4-867C-54D652BC7F82.jpeg

Safely home, must have been water in the system somewhere.

Once home my wife confessed she’d never been through an automated car wash before “I was always too scared of breaking down in one” she says… 

The like was for getting home OK, not for the breaking down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As alluded to elsewhere, the Innocenti passed its MOT this week.  Somewhat to my surprise I have to admit - I was fully expecting it to need some obscure unobtainium bits, but I was relieved that it didn't.  I drove it 25 miles on Friday evening to go and see a mate - I'd forgotten how fun it is, despite the lack of power.  The steering is like a go-kart and it's great fun to fling around.  It's not running 100% right, it stutters every now and then under acceleration, but it has been off the road for nearly five years so not unexpected.  I suspect the fuel filter is full of crud - I've got a new one to go on.  Next weekend I'm going to fit the new gearbox mount as the one on the car really is beyond a joke now.  I'm also going to have a crack at adjusting the clutch cable to see if I can get any more life out of the clutch - the adjuster is a plastic knurled nut which is probably quite brittle by now so I'm going to have to be gentle with it - I've been soaking it in GT85 to see if I can free it off.  I might still need to change the clutch but I'd like to put that off if I can - some of the bellhousing bolts look a right twat to get to.

I drove the Volvo to Tesco yesterday.

20220625_213047.thumb.jpg.2474ffddabcf3e18f5500f27c387f116.jpg

It's still running fine, but the rear brakes definitely need looking at - I had to brake fairly hard on the way back to avoid someone coming round a corner and the back brakes stuck on.  Looking at the offside, the outer pad is almost down to the metal where the inner pad looks nearly new, so that piston has definitely been sticking.  I've ordered some new pads so when they get here I'm going to have a go at freeing the calipers off - I'm hoping they'll be easier to do than the fronts as they only have two pistons rather than four.

The Renault 6 is still buzzing happily around - it reached 96K miles yesterday.

20220625_191149.thumb.jpg.8a62931d5bd712f43fc82563ca12afa5.jpg

I've had to redo the two bits of wob in the scuttle panel though as the previous effort (from about 8 years ago) was falling apart.  I do have a replacement panel to be welded on at some point, but it's way beyond my abilities to do, it really needs to go to a professional body shop which I can't afford at the moment.  I can't really patch up the existing panel with the welder either as the screen would have to come out and if it gets broken or cracked during the removal process finding a replacement will almost certainly be fun*.

The 107 is still in use as the daily runaround.  I've splashed out on a pair of upgraded speakers - these in fact:

81zw62hPQOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They do make the radio sound rather less tinny, although it's never going to be the most fantastic sound system.

The Jag is still behaving somewhat oddly.  I took it for a run up the coast road last Sunday evening - it was running fine and pulling as it should with no smoke or stuttering, but half way through the drive the DPF light came on.  Not entirely surprising given the amount of clag it'd been putting out when I drove it into Norwich.  So one evening last week I took it for a run, fairly late to ensure that the dawdling giffers had all gone to bed - I was going to drive towards Norwich then go down the northern bypass, but just as I got to the bypass roundabout the DPF light went out so I turned round and came home.  It was running perfectly on the way down; on the way back it gave the odd stutter but no smoke that I could see.  It's all a bit odd.  I've booked it in to the local garage on Friday for a go on their diagnostic machine to see if they can make head or tail of it - I'm in two minds whether to spend a bit of money on it or whether to cut my losses and sell it as it is and buy something else...  I do like the old thing though when it's behaving itself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sims00 said:

Say what you want about budgets, but these Autogreens from National are A rated for wet grip allegedly and with the 10% discount it was a no brainier. Plus it is no sports car. 

I was reliably informed recently (possibly by @bub2006?) that Autogreens use an old Toyo tread pattern. I've no idea how the actual rubber compares, but apparently they're not a bad steer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

G Techniq, a very satisfying (and bastard expensive) product. Worth it though as it actually lasts unlike other back to black type stuff. 

@SRi05, do you have a link to the stuff you bought? I have more faded trim than I could shake a stick at

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...