How much shite is too much shite? Assorted Chod for sale - Barkas, Imps, MGs, Rover etc

Saabnut

Today I had an email from my friend who is storing the Cobra for me. A set of ramps and a quick look soon diagnosed the problem, and explained the loss of brake pedal a couple of times after which they have been fine. The Cobra has a single circuit brake system. This was the culprit:

image0.thumb.jpeg.bf422d889cb1f37ff606b992aa063e8e.jpeg

One of the EBC Greenstuff pads fitted, and which I had checked at the end of last year as still having plenty of meat on, had decided to part company with the friction material. Fortunately the calliper piston had not made it out far enough to make a bid for freedom and it went back in OK. The disc has a fair bit of scoring on one side, but not enough to weaken it, so a second hand pad (I know, I know) has been fitted which will get me back to blighty (or last for many more years as is the AS way).

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Today I had an email from my friend who is storing the Cobra for me. A set of ramps and a quick look soon diagnosed the problem, and explained the loss of brake pedal a couple of times after which they have been fine. The Cobra has a single circuit brake system. This was the culprit:

One of the EBC Greenstuff pads fitted, and which I had checked at the end of last year as still having plenty of meat on, had decided to part company with the friction material. Fortunately the calliper piston had not made it out far enough to make a bid for freedom and it went back in OK. The disc has a fair bit of scoring on one side, but not enough to weaken it, so a second hand pad (I know, I know) has been fitted which will get me back to blighty (or last for many more years as is the AS way).

Not quite the pad knock off I was thinking of !😀

17 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Serious fail that. May be a good idea to contact EBC and let them know. Clearly the AC is a quick car but that notwithstanding it's a concerning technical fail that may warrant investigation.

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Serious fail that. May be a good idea to contact EBC and let them know. Clearly the AC is a quick car but that notwithstanding it's a concerning technical fail that may warrant investigation.

I doubt they will be too concerned as the pads were new when I purchased it, but that was 12.5 years ago! Being light the rear brakes do not do much so pads last a long time.

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

I have some Ferodos somewhere that I keep meaning to send back.
One split in half after around 1,000 miles. Only found it by accident as I was changing the springs.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? MOT Disastra

Whilst I am still stuck offshore, though should escape tomorrow, my friend has been borrowing my Disastra H. This car was bought just over a year ago as a Cat N write off from the original owner. Last year for MOT it needed a drop link, and the otherside had recently started to rattle. For a bonus, as my friend and his lad arrived at the MOT station as they had realised it was due soon, the cable operating the passenger door handle from the inside snapped. So, the MOT results:

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front passenger door cannot be opened from inside the vehicle (6.2.3 (a))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Rear Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge both rear, also perished and cracked [original tyres 2010] (5.2.3 (e))

So all in all a top result. Drop link and cable are ordered, the rest can wait til I get back and can get it on my ramp.

BUT that last advisory item! The car was tested with 99,072 miles recorded. On the original rear tyres! The original owner was an old lady who drove it like you would expect, but really?

28 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

BUT that last advisory item! The car was tested with 99,072 miles recorded. On the original rear tyres! The original owner was an old lady who drove it like you would expect, but really?

I don't think that his advisory note goes far enough, and I say that for the safety of other road users we burn you at the stake, outside the MOT bay, atop a pile of completely bald Chinese death rings whilst a group of concerned mum's from the local facebook community page chant 'Kids in the car! Kids in the car!'.

If only you had of fitted a new set of Crossclimates at each MOT like a responsible member of society.

48 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I don't think that his advisory note goes far enough, and I say that for the safety of other road users we burn you at the stake, outside the MOT bay, atop a pile of completely bald Chinese death rings whilst a group of concerned mum's from the local facebook community page chant 'Kids in the car! Kids in the car!'.

If only you had of fitted a new set of Crossclimates at each MOT like a responsible member of society.

I think he should be publicly outed on Facebook in his areas community forum for this transgression. I bet he has fitted copper brake pipes as well to cut corners! 

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? French Foray - 12 tanks of fuel!

An update on this is as usual way overdue! The job was hectic and involved long hours, coupled with a slow internet connection meant updating from offshore was not an option. The job finished only a couple of days late which meant a dash back to France for the Le Mans Classic was on the cards. Midnight Tuesday saw the boat in transit to Stavanger and by 1700 I was at the airport. A flight direct to Gatwick was organised and my brother picked me up at the airport.

Thursday morning saw us on the 0730 shuttle and heading back to France

IMG_0335.thumb.JPG.5b5817cbe3f15d2ec41e45d11408425c.JPG

Lunchstop was the usual place at the side of the Seine

IMG_0339.thumb.JPG.1c82ac67249eaba6454638ef972b33b5.JPG

Once back at my place, beers were consumed and the next morning we went to collect my car back from my friends, after which most of the weekend was spent in the square in the centre of La Chatre sur le Loir near the Hotel de France watching the cars and enjoying a beer with friends.

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.c76c0ec64ca119c81ba3093a790c8fba.JPG

IMG_0347.thumb.JPG.48b2753993403fcd90b9720868ecdcde.JPG

With the weekend over, my brother left for home Tuesday morning whilst I spent the day cutting grass and sorting the house. Early Wednesday morning I left the house

IMG_0367.thumb.JPG.8c3ccf2cd90c3246be3f9a022e205fa9.JPG

and for a change headed to Dieppe to get the Newhaven  ferry, and got very wet for the last few miles. Typically, the only real rain I saw the whole trip was when I was in slow moving traffic

IMG_0368.thumb.JPG.9ea8c62135f6e9f12d55a8187b8b3b10.JPG

Good crossing but slow, an hour plus beforehand, a 4 hour crossing and an hour to unload. Don't think I will do that one again. Once back in blighty I had the usual rush hour traffic around Heathrow on the M25 to contend with but eventually made it to my hotel for the night near Preston

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.1d54d3af26b50d3fefbdb3ac94e80926.JPG

Thursday morning after a good breakfast, I had a clear run and I was home admiring* the long grass by 1330.

IMG_0371.thumb.JPG.5cc3c72fe27bc0762364b1ef4e152971.JPG

So the results. Approximately 2400 miles covered over a couple of weeks. 12 tanks of fuel. Average consumption 16 mpg. Two litres of oil consumed. No FTPs :-) 

The car is going to need some TLC this winter. Obviously it is going to need new discs and pads, and the rear shock absorbers have reached the end of their useful life. In addition, the rear diff is starting to grumble (not surprising after 32k miles with 498 ft/lb of torque going through it. I think the obvious thing to do is drop the lot out and replace everything including the callipers. Might as well do the front suspension and brakes so it is ready for another 30 years. Oh, and a new speedo cable and a handbrake cable as one of the adjusters has broken. I think it is not going to be a cheap winter!

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Staying Upright

No updates for a while as I have been back at work in Norway so I can afford the repairs this winter! :-) 

Things have started to settle down now, so a chance to post. This was the view out of my office window this morning:

1347162052_IMG_04091.thumb.JPG.dcb8a1679bb889ffe0eba49c2a676cc1.JPG

Yes, back on Subsea Rock Installation (it used to be called rock dumping but according to the high ups we are not allowed to dump anything on the seabed). Calling it a different name apparently fixes everything*

For those interested (not many I am sure) I am on the Nordnes* this time, more info here

Flexible fallpipe vessel | Van Oord

Mind, changing what you call things matters. The Nordnes used to be called the Rocknes. A google search will show why the name was changed.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? A trailer to the main event

That was one of the harder trips I have done for a while! Too many chiefs onshore who have suddenly become experts despite never having set foot on a rock dump vessel. Ho hum, 'tis the way of the world. I managed to escape on Thursday arriving home on Friday having been told I would probably be required back for another boat this Friday! So, Sunday saw me taking the Disco for its first proper run since its rebuild and I headed off to Sheffield to collect a new trailer for behind my Kubota and Grey Fergie. Of course, this is not a road legal trailer, so as a deal came up I bought another trailer down there and towed them both home. The Disco behaved perfectly.

809385340_IMG_04341.thumb.JPG.cd72830e12e482ce9a62a7b26844a497.JPG

811398556_IMG_04351.thumb.JPG.b81f1a13a823d78fcbc1c5664aef111a.JPG

875960028_IMG_04361.thumb.JPG.63ec3bc6efc77946e6253bc6e994958f.JPG

The main trailer there is a 2010 Ifor Williams 14ft flatbed complete with headboard, ramps and 3 tonne winch rated to 3500kg GVW. Bit of overkill and I don't really need another trailer so this will go up for sale soon.

Today the trailer was turned around and unhitched, and one of the other trailers hitched on ready for the morning. Yes, off to meet a shiter for a collection tomorrow!

728449493_IMG_04371.thumb.JPG.9f335caf1d49fc521484f49723f0f1b4.JPG

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? One back fixed, two more broken!

Last night I dug out my Saab 9-3 'vert for the first time in a couple of months due to work and took it for a run to test out my wind deflector. Verdict? Excellent! However the dash kept reminding me a headlight bulb had blown, so when I got home I checked when the MOT was due. I was disappointed to find it had been expired for nearly 18 hours! Swapped the Saab for the AX and went to see my MOT man who said if I dropped it off with him tonight he would take it to work and test it for me on Friday.

Very much a mixed day today! First was a trip south to make a collection

IMG_04381.thumb.JPG.7d93c6d98f34745619aa4369a3f82a7d.JPG

Yes the brilliant @GingerNuttz had finished my Rover so time to fetch it back home. What started as a small couple of weld repairs mushroomed into a huge rebuild. At least now it as solid as a solid thing and once my work steadies down, after over 13 years ownership it will be put up for sale. The old Disco performed great until I stopped at my local shop about 3 miles from home. On returning to the outfit I noticed an oil trail on the road and a lot of oil on the trailer. Worrying. Carried on home keeping an eye on the oil light and at the top of my track had a look underneath to see a veritable water fall of oil! Made it home coasting with the engine off where possible, and a closer look at home and it appears one of the hoses to the oil cooler has worked loose but will investigate tomorrow when it has all cooled down.

IMG_04391.thumb.JPG.0a038c9d3da84c5fbcb8c3fc972b24cd.JPG

Next job was to change the headlight bulb on the Saab and to get it over to my MOT man. Opened the bonnet and noticed the rust stain on the top of the offside front suspension tower looked to have grown a bit. Whilst I know better than to poke, I also realised my MOT man would have no such reservations so a poke it got. 

I have cancelled the MOT and am now drowning my sorrows!

IMG_04401.thumb.JPG.8382738933d41b3370a2e6166b5f6c35.JPG

5 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Next job was to change the headlight bulb on the Saab and to get it over to my MOT man. Opened the bonnet and noticed the rust stain on the top of the offside front suspension tower looked to have grown a bit. Whilst I know better than to poke, I also realised my MOT man would have no such reservations so a poke it got. 

@GingerNuttz to the bat phone!

Last night I dug out my Saab 9-3 'vert for the first time in a couple of months due to work and took it for a run to test out my wind deflector. Verdict? Excellent! However the dash kept reminding me a headlight bulb had blown, so when I got home I checked when the MOT was due. I was disappointed to find it had been expired for nearly 18 hours! Swapped the Saab for the AX and went to see my MOT man who said if I dropped it off with him tonight he would take it to work and test it for me on Friday.

Very much a mixed day today! First was a trip south to make a collection

IMG_04381.thumb.JPG.7d93c6d98f34745619aa4369a3f82a7d.JPG

Yes the brilliant @GingerNuttz had finished my Rover so time to fetch it back home. What started as a small couple of weld repairs mushroomed into a huge rebuild. At least now it as solid as a solid thing and once my work steadies down, after over 13 years ownership it will be put up for sale. The old Disco performed great until I stopped at my local shop about 3 miles from home. On returning to the outfit I noticed an oil trail on the road and a lot of oil on the trailer. Worrying. Carried on home keeping an eye on the oil light and at the top of my track had a look underneath to see a veritable water fall of oil! Made it home coasting with the engine off where possible, and a closer look at home and it appears one of the hoses to the oil cooler has worked loose but will investigate tomorrow when it has all cooled down.

IMG_04391.thumb.JPG.0a038c9d3da84c5fbcb8c3fc972b24cd.JPG

P5 looks fit tho

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Day off!

Yesterday the oil leak was sorted on the Disco by tightening the hose from the filter housing to the oil cooler which had come loose. Roughly a gallon was added, so that will do istead of an oil change! :-)  It then chucked it down with rain for the rest of the day.

This morning started off dry with a bit of sun. I have been home a week, 4 days of which I have been on the road and 3 fettling cars. I am away back offshore on Tuesday so decided I was having a day off today. Fired up the recently returned P5b and headed to the Fennel V8 breakfast meet in Inverurie, via the petrol station and jet wash as the windscreen was covered in Disco engine oil! I was a bit late getting there but still plenty of interest, although rubbish photos as usual

A very rare AC 428

IMG_0441.thumb.JPG.b75d0d75d1f69f26ca9febf6c3318dba.JPG

Dodge Charger

IMG_0442.thumb.JPG.a5005352e9db53b6116173d6180197ab.JPG

A modern Mustang

IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.ed5e8c1d6d32f2df152785750b894c4c.JPG

An AC Cobra Fibre Street Racer

IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.72d978dd76c98b2cdedf00d55d57a839.JPG

A 1962 Genuine AC Cobra 260

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.67880ef7e95e21616a7824a2a829c398.JPG

The two Cobras are owned by father and son, and in the barn at home they also have a '65 Cobra hard top and the 1958 Lemans race Cobra! All bought many years ago when they had very little value.

This green thing (not sure what it is but modern)

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.c7e7283106f48a4f5406e080a4671c66.JPG

After that I took the scenic way home

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.894f8cb8dfa4aca7d517ad6aa4f806f8.JPG

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.3f1593a5497d7853c20566d8ffae87fd.JPG

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.279e1f0c41805043abddfbc6b7976242.JPG

which meant by the time I got home I had covered over 120 miles. The car ran great, and makes me reluctant to sell it, but in truth it just does not get used much as the Bentley does the same thing. No rush, but it will have to be sold sooner rather than later.

Once home, I had a load of visitors (ANY visitors here is unusual) so the rest of the day was spent drinking tea in the sun and talking shite! Great day, must try doing this more often.

The yellow ‘Dodge’ Charger is an Australian Chrysler Valiant Charger, circa 1971/2. Maybe the owner put Dodge badges on it - although an Aussie would be appalled at such trickery, they were very popular down under. 

Green modern thing is Lamborghini, I think it is an Aventador. 

The Rover P5 is lovely, nice to see a saloon as well. 

Yesterday the oil leak was sorted on the Disco by tightening the hose from the filter housing to the oil cooler which had come loose. Roughly a gallon was added, so that will do istead of an oil change! :-)  It then chucked it down with rain for the rest of the day.

This morning started off dry with a bit of sun. I have been home a week, 4 days of which I have been on the road and 3 fettling cars. I am away back offshore on Tuesday so decided I was having a day off today. Fired up the recently returned P5b and headed to the Fennel V8 breakfast meet in Inverurie, via the petrol station and jet wash as the windscreen was covered in Disco engine oil! I was a bit late getting there but still plenty of interest, although rubbish photos as usual

A very rare AC 428

IMG_0441.thumb.JPG.b75d0d75d1f69f26ca9febf6c3318dba.JPG

Dodge Charger

IMG_0442.thumb.JPG.a5005352e9db53b6116173d6180197ab.JPG

A modern Mustang

IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.ed5e8c1d6d32f2df152785750b894c4c.JPG

An AC Cobra Fibre Street Racer

IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.72d978dd76c98b2cdedf00d55d57a839.JPG

A 1962 Genuine AC Cobra 260

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.67880ef7e95e21616a7824a2a829c398.JPG

The two Cobras are owned by father and son, and in the barn at home they also have a '65 Cobra hard top and the 1958 Lemans race Cobra! All bought many years ago when they had very little value.

This green thing (not sure what it is but modern)

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.c7e7283106f48a4f5406e080a4671c66.JPG

After that I took the scenic way home

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.894f8cb8dfa4aca7d517ad6aa4f806f8.JPG

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.3f1593a5497d7853c20566d8ffae87fd.JPG

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.279e1f0c41805043abddfbc6b7976242.JPG

which meant by the time I got home I had covered over 120 miles. The car ran great, and makes me reluctant to sell it, but in truth it just does not get used much as the Bentley does the same thing. No rush, but it will have to be sold sooner rather than later.

Once home, I had a load of visitors (ANY visitors here is unusual) so the rest of the day was spent drinking tea in the sun and talking shite! Great day, must try doing this more often.

Fwiw I've always seen the p5b as criminally undervalued. And yours is a real good looking and now structurally solid car. Being as you can store many cars I'd keep it.