Limp-wristed uses of the word 'Sport' by a manufacturer

grogee

8 minutes ago, Matty said:

Thank god someone finally brought this up. All vans with sport in the title. Its a van ffs. Can't have sporty clogs.

You can have Sporty Crocs though :-(
How about Yugo Sport?
image.png.49104fc1a28604d7783bd06d975d7d32.png

10 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

I suppose an MGB would be considered a Sports Car.What sort of sport involves sitting in a field on a camping chair eating sandwiches,with rows of other MGs?

The real sport would be rocking up in an MG6 and dragging your hamper out of the boot. They'd love* you for that.

13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

I suppose an MGB would be considered a Sports Car.What sort of sport involves sitting in a field on a camping chair eating sandwiches,with rows of other MGs?

It was a sports car! Not a fast one, nor one that handled (or was at all dynamically competent, frankly), but which was designed for heading out for a drive for no purpose other than entertainment.  

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

Looked the part but Ford saddled it with a 1.8 diesel NA donkey.

If they had put a 1.8 petrol in it it might have actually been worthy of the XR badge

To be fair, I don't think the XRV was ever marketed as a performance van. It was only ever about the looks.

2 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

5636871099_a658475a1b_b.jpg.05c74a5f400f6b8e1cfe779241a21871.jpg

If they had put a 1.8 petrol in it it might have actually been worthy of the XR badge

Lots round here got the running gear from crashed 2is in them to make proper XRVs 👍

On 01/05/2024 at 11:24, RoverFolkUs said:

I came here to mention the MK2 Focus. The "Sport" trim adds those 6 spoke alloys, and 3 spoke leather steering wheel to an LX (which is base + air con) 

Alleged suspension differences but there is nothing measurable whatsoever 

Was going to say Sport often was alloys and a leather rimmed wheel, maybe a boor bottom decal.

23 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Wasn't the Mk 1 Sport a de trimmed 1300GT?

Sort of. It had the same 1300 Kent with a twin choke Webber, but it had 13” wheels and flared front arches that this necessitated.  Some said both the Sport and the 1300 E had the fully strengthened Type 49 AVO body shell , but I think that has since been debunked , except by owners of 1300 Sport’s and 1300E’s, of course.

The Sport had basic deluxe trim ( apart from the 6 dial dash) whereas the GT was trimmed to XL spec, fake wood, perforated vinyl seats etc.

48 minutes ago, Muniphobia said:

Apparently it's called sport because it is designed to be the right size to fit in the pocket of a sports jacket

The sports jacket is even more of a misnomer.

image.jpeg.5d7c722f44600ad3c64833d250d0a3c3.jpeg

12 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Sort of. It had the same 1300 Kent with a twin choke Webber, but it had 13” wheels and flared front arches that this necessitated.  Some said both the Sport and the 1300 E had the fully strengthened Type 49 AVO body shell , but I think that has since been debunked , except by owners of 1300 Sport’s and 1300E’s, of course.

The Sport had basic deluxe trim ( apart from the 6 dial dash) whereas the GT was trimmed to XL spec, fake wood, perforated vinyl seats etc.

Isn't it strange that 50 years on, we're remembering all this?They were nice looking cars though.

As the owner of a now slightly re-mapped 206 2.0 hdi then i really cant understand how they sold one as a sport model (this one isnt mine just illustration)

image.png.dc2d7c17348692d638cb6bc225df3a57.png

They just arent quick enough to be called that. The re-map makes them actually nippy and able to safely overtake, but before that, it was lethal and not at all 'sport'

And remember Ive got a Dyane 6 and a 1.1 Visa. So i know what not at all quick feels like 🤣

On 01/05/2024 at 17:55, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah yes, I'd only heard of the "sport suspension" as hearsay but having worked on god knows how many, all the parts are supplied exactly the same regardless of trim level. 

Something I didn't understand was the fact they added aircon to LX and Sport as standard. Zetec is higher than those two, but didn't come with aircon as standard. You had to have the Zetec climate to get aircon as standard again! And indeed, no climate control on anything other than the Titanium as far as I know? Not sure if it was an option for GHIA but I don't think so. 

My understanding is the Climate pack on the Mk2 included the heated front screen

On 02/05/2024 at 08:07, UltraWomble said:

5636871099_a658475a1b_b.jpg.05c74a5f400f6b8e1cfe779241a21871.jpg

Never knew they made a van version of the XR to be honest 

On 01/05/2024 at 11:34, beko1987 said:

From my only experience of a "sporting'trim on a Zafira it seems to mean rock hard seats, rock hard suspension and skinny expensive wide tyres. 

Was enough to put me off anything with the word sport in the trim level 😂 I'll take an anti sport squishy comfy car any day

My Astra j was sri like your zafira and my current 1 series too. All its meant for me is to do around 3mph on speed bumps or it's scraping like hell (lower bc sporty 1.4 eh) - learnt especially the hard way in the astra when the spring snapped mid bump, definitely didn't shock the hell out of me at all either xD

15 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Early Sports didn't even get the 6 dial dash, making do with the twin clocks and a pod mounted tacho,

Screenshot_20240503_120936.jpg.4298cff058def14dc1943b3f24219ab4.jpg