BEST 4 grand car

bezzabsa

Been left some cash in Ma's will.....

enough that I can shove a decent amount in the bank and still have 4k ish left to buy summat that will last..

needs to be Reliable, have as few known problems as possible ie DMF, chocolate gearboxes etc

not too fussed if petrol or dizzel (NO V8's tho LOL - i would LOVE one but sensible hats on here)

decent tax and insurance levels..

No 2doors either..

OK - GO

18 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

That’s a very broad brush, what about a Lexus GS300 or IS250?

like the look of the gs300 and the older 1s200 but insurance is a problem as i live in a shithole (according to insurance & police)

2 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Don't you like him😊?

I just remember him asking for advice on whether to buy that mini or not, I figure if I advise him to buy some of the worst choices he'll hopefully get something else lol

I think a nice 2005 330iSE auto for £2000  or maybe an immaculate 2002 Boxster 2.7 for the full £4000 I might know just where to lay my hands on examples.

As much as I enjoyed my 2.2 XF and it didn’t actually ever break down properly, it always felt as if it was on borrowed time. If you want something to last buy a 4 pot diesel Merc or @SiC’s e320 , he’ll have poked at it and found everything that’s likely to break in a normal persons lifetime of ownership in the few months he’s had it.

I am sorry for your loss.

Prices are dropping but £4k won't give you tons of choice. If you want something that will last petrol is probably your best bet.

I know you said no V8 however my BMW 545 was no worse on fuel than a six pot petrol.

Lexus GS300 definitely, will feel like a modern nice car and 4k gets you one with such low miles that you wont have to worry about anything for many years. Not sure what you could get instead if insurance for that is an issue though, I dont think it would cost more than anything else.

I wouldn’t buy a £4k Jaguar XF unless you were hoping to run it for a while to enjoy the experience and then move on very quickly at the first sign of ominous faults/noises. 

A 2.2 diesel is the simplest less hassle one to get, but an example with 175k under its belt is always going to be a bit of a gamble. 

It would be better* to get a nice Rover 75 or MG ZT for £2.5-3k (I may be way out on what a really good example of either is worth these days) and put the rest in a contingency fund if you want something old school British. A 75 is still a lovely thing to sit in. 

S Types are a bit too fragile these days and X types too ‘meh’ IMHO. 

5 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

Been left some cash in Ma's will.....

enough that I can shove a decent amount in the bank and still have 4k ish left to buy summat that will last..

needs to be Reliable, have as few known problems as possible ie DMF, chocolate gearboxes etc

not too fussed if petrol or dizzel (NO V8's tho LOL - i would LOVE one but sensible hats on here)

decent tax and insurance levels..

No 2doors either..

OK - GO

Focus 1.6 petrol. For £4k it’s a n car, completely pointless territory for buying premium stuff. Could do worse than a 1.0 in fairness, seeing loads that’s they’ve had the belt done then they’ve bailed on it. 

to answer a few Q's.  it will be a daily use vehicle, mainly short <5 miles journeys, with weekend coastal jaunts. Mainly with me on my own.

it would have to live outside, due to living in a high rise

30mpg round town would be nice (bini is doing about that and 55 on a run)

Eco boost erm No ta sis has just had to have hers rebuilt...luckily under warranty and ex wifes focus eco is on its 2nd engine..

quite like the 1 series but seeing how many are spears or reapers has put me off..

RE my R56 its now running as well as it can after spending almost 2k on it, so may be a possibility of keeping the bini and throwing some new suspension & wheels at it, also updating the sound system and brakes

13 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

to answer a few Q's.  it will be a daily use vehicle, mainly short <5 miles journeys, with weekend coastal jaunts. Mainly with me on my own.

Small Petrol Hyundai or Kia then I'd say for literal white goods motoring

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403267980986

ea9bebdd500741c3a11988ac609434d2.jpg

Deffo smoll and petrol for those journeys then! 

During covid I thought a few times of swapping the Xsara for something small and petrol as its a lumbering cold bastard when cold, and I felt bad doing it. 

Not so bad now I'm in the office and can do a 20 mile m40 blast 4 times a week but I'd vote something 1.4 and non turbo's? (literally zero idea what modern small petrol are like these days though 😂

Then change the oil every year regardless of if you've done 500 miles or 5000. Especially if it's got a turbo and/or reputation