Jowett Javelin Appraisal/Restoration.

The Old Bloke Next Door

The drivers door window has detached from the winder mechanism and  is is currently inaccessible inside the door shell.

It appears that the car has been in dry storage for many years previously, as a temporary fix , I have taped a plastic rubble sack over the window aperture to hopefully  keep the interior dry

First job tomorrow is to remove the framework at the front of the car, check if there is any coolant in the radiator and have a look at the engine and chassis number.

Pictures include  the amount of steering lock that was standard on most rear wheel drive cars of the era and the front framework.

IMG_20231117_145002.jpg

IMG_20231117_152638.jpg

IMG_20231118_131556.jpg

IMG_20231118_143713.jpg

12 hours ago, The Old Bloke Next Door said:

The drivers door window has detached from the winder mechanism and  is is currently inaccessible inside the door shell.

It appears that the car has been in dry storage for many years previously, as a temporary fix , I have taped a plastic rubble sack over the window aperture to hopefully  keep the interior dry

First job tomorrow is to remove the framework at the front of the car, check if there is any coolant in the radiator and have a look at the engine and chassis number.

Pictures include  the amount of steering lock that was standard on most rear wheel drive cars of the era and the front framework.

IMG_20231117_145002.jpg

IMG_20231117_152638.jpg

IMG_20231118_131556.jpg

IMG_20231118_143713.jpg

Little bit of weekend work ala Derek Matthewson? 

Main issue  is the engine, if that can be freed and it runs restoration  may be viable.

Discussing alternative engine options with my tame mechanic, he suggested a Ford 1.6 CVH and gearbox out of a Sierra.

Three problems with that is first sourcing one at a reasonable price and then the work involved to fit it.

Next are the insurance implications when declaring it as a modified vehicle and also declaring an engine change to DVLA. There have been a couple of posts on Facebook groups recently that Swansea are being awkward in registering a non standard engine conversion without an engineers report.

Assuming any combination of the aforementioned is doable, the next issue is a set of new tyres. Five of the correct spec. are around £135 each plus another £105 for inner tubes, plus whatever it costs to get them fitted. 

These cars aren't worth a great deal of money at the moment, a reasonably tidy road legal example sold on Ebay recently for £4000.

There are several essential components missing, the brakes will require a full overhaul, a considerable amount of bodywork is required, the interior needs a lot of work and then there's  the paint.

And of course there is currently no ID for the car

I may buy a better example and keep this one for spares, or offer it back on here next year  for what it eventually ends up owing me, which is currently £80.

I'll see how it goes.

To be continued as and when progress is made.

Most of the other flat 4 engines are configured for front wheel drive, all wheel drive or are rear mounted with the drive going to the rear wheels via a gearbox in front of the engine.  I'm not aware of any that have a convenient transmission for front engine, rear drive unless you dabble in much rarer  options e.g. Lancia Flavia 1.8 or use an early Honda Goldwing water cooled flat 4 engine which is of course already configured for front mounting and rear drive by shaft  😃.  I suspect the latter would be quite a project to fine tune the transmission for car use.   As @The Old Bloke Next Door says, he would prefer to avoid budget and other complications which are likely to result if modifying an engine (and the car) from a different marque to fit.  Whether you could squeeze a readily available straight 4 from a front engine rear drive car under the Jowett's bonnet, perhaps retaining the Jowett's  transmission with an adaptor plate, is also an open question. Flat fours tend to be more compact (shorter) than a straight 4.  Radiator mounted to one side to gain a bit of space perhaps? 

Wonderful potential there and I wish you luck.  At least you've saved it for a while whilst options are explored. 

The Javelin is so much designed around the compact flat 4 engine that fitting anything else isn't very practical if you want to retain the character of the car.   The car handles well because of its good weight distribution.   The engine bay is very short and the radiator is on top of the engine.  A straight four engine would have to be set well back to preserve the weight distribution, which would then intrude into the cabin which isn't that wide.    You can't adjust the suspension much, because torsion bars.  Then performance is going to be limited anyway by the drum brakes, and the low axle ratio - Jowett themselves were looking at fitting an overdrive.   So making it into a hot rod isn't really going to work.   It is better to put the time and effort into the correct engine,  which is well understood and not really that complicated.

The engine number is intact and readable, unfortunately the bonnet is stuck shut at the moment which is  preventing me from comparing it with the chassis number.  Should be able to get it open tomorrow when my assistant arrives.

If the numbers match then it should be possible to get the registration number from the Jowett Club,

There is also no oil in the engine, which according to my tame mechanic may be why the engine is seized. I'll be topping it up with red diesel this week, spraying WD 40  through the spark plug holes several times, then trying a breaker bar on the crank pulley.

Its looking increasingly likely that this will be a spares car, earlier this year a complete running and driving car which looked in better condition than this one and with a V5 sold for a grand.

If I do use it for spares I won't be bothering with getting a V5 as I suspect the ID is on another car and applying for the V5 will open up a can of worms.

Update tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, The Old Bloke Next Door said:

The engine number is intact and readable, unfortunately the bonnet is stuck shut at the moment which is  preventing me from comparing it with the chassis number.  Should be able to get it open tomorrow when my assistant arrives.

If the numbers match then it should be possible to get the registration number from the Jowett Club,

There is also no oil in the engine, which according to my tame mechanic may be why the engine is seized. I'll be topping it up with red diesel this week, spraying WD 40  through the spark plug holes several times, then trying a breaker bar on the crank pulley.

Its looking increasingly likely that this will be a spares car, earlier this year a complete running and driving car which looked in better condition than this one and with a V5 sold for a grand.

If I do use it for spares I won't be bothering with getting a V5 as I suspect the ID is on another car and applying for the V5 will open up a can of worms.

Update tomorrow.

feel free to PM me the details as you find em and I can run to see on the off chance if there is any pre-existing DVLA record :) 

glad to see you did managed to grab it in the end, I am looking forward to seeing how ya get on with it, hopefully it can be saved, but if not, hopefully it can at least yield good spares if you take on another one :) 

Thanks, I'll compare it with the chassis number which is partially legible at the moment.

It would be an ideal spares car.

Back in the 80's I was usually running a Marina as daily, when one was around being uneconomical to repair I would buy an identical model, preferably the same colour to replace it, Banger economics.

50 minutes ago, The Old Bloke Next Door said:

Don't put a breaker bar on the crank pulley, the mounting bolt is easily sheared off (yes I learned this the hard way) big screwdriver/pinch bar on ring gear may be safer

If the crankcases are good it's probably fixable. Good second hand pistons aren't hard to find alternatively fiesta pistons can be machined to fit (the skirts need shortening so they don't hit the crank webs). I might have a reasonable secondhand crank if you need one.

• 2 months later...