Citroen Xantia Pickup - 500 mile adventure

vibies

First time AS buyer - currently on train from the North of Scotland to Newcastle to buy a lovely Citroen Xantia from a user here.

Costa, disappointing toastie, and we are off. Girlfriend has came along - not sure she has appreciated the chod I am buying though! Extra pair of legs to push 😉

PXL_20231111_072755675.MP.jpg

Chod speed to you both. From my brief experience of said ex-Purple Barge Ken Xantia, it’s a lovely wafty ride and holds its own on the motorway. The still-decent leather seats cosset you in a most relaxing manner.

That means it’s gone/going all the way from the south coast of England, near Seaford, Sussex to north Scotland. Excellent work!

I did enjoy seeing the map and how it started at the tail of the island, now to hopefully arrive in the North East of it!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the drive. It's nice to buy a car where people have honest experience with it - way better than the random gumtree/autotrader punts I've done in the past! 

Now just need this damn train to get to Newcastle!

Mission failed - poor guy has phoned me to tell me the clutch has failed on his way in. I've no technical expertise so it's unfortunately not going to happen. Don't suppose anyone has something cheap and reliable for sale to get us home haha 😂

No hard feelings towards the guy - shit happens, especially with £500 shitboxes, and appreciate him phoning and letting me know.

3 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

Yes unfortunately I’m stuck in the middle of a prestige car dealers car park, maybe it’s self conscious? 

Any advice, don’t really want to call in the scrappers if it can be helped

Whitagram-Image.jpeg

Unfortunate on all accounts.

My technical expertise are minimal, hopefully someone can give you some advice to get you home.

1 minute ago, jmsguzzi said:

Yes unfortunately I’m stuck in the middle of a prestige car dealers car park, maybe it’s self conscious? 

Any advice, don’t really want to call in the scrappers if it can be helped

Whitagram-Image.jpeg

My terrible advice would be to start it in gear and drive it home. A good opportunity to practice rev-matching but not much fun in traffic. 

I think @wesacosa's advice is much better though. Hope you get it sorted! 

2 hours ago, rob88h said:

I came to this thread expecting one of these:

2C2AEE7D-F455-4B38-99BC-86C744CDAD37.thumb.jpeg.d33cf8c91843755dd4d7e828cf25908e.jpeg

i also was expecting this - wtf at the title made me look :D

also if id not come back from south east asia yesterday id have done st helens to newcastle if id seen this earlier - north ecosse to NCL woulda took longer :D

Is it clutch engaged all the time or clutch un-engaged all the time?

If engaged then clutch cable.    Check the top of clutch pedal with your hand feeling for the cable end which slips over the pedal "hook" - check under bonnet at clutch lever for floppy cable.  Usually clutch pedal end snaps off.

Mine broke near Lisbon but managed the 1500 miles back to London without a working clutch.

4 hours ago, vibies said:

Haha I wasn't sure on naming protocol, realize I may disappoint people now that I haven't bought a Ute

The more cryptic, the more weird, the more intriguing the title……..

Trust me, Boring will always be, well, boring.

And just to add.

I am a 3 times AS buyer, every one is/has been a challenge in their own way, but who said easy was the right way to do things.

Chod Speed as they say.

(PS. Have you checked the girlfriends bag for a hatchet, machete or antifreeze) 

OK. I replied halfway up the page…..

Before you got the call.

When I sold the Blazer in 2019 a day before heading to the USA, the throttle clip at the bulkhead snapped 15 minutes before collection.

I made a replacement in metal, and fitted it as the buyer arrived.

He thought it was real funny and knew the score, bought it and drove off into the sunset and made good money from turning it into a Stranger Things Sherriffs replica. 

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

When does the Xantia of not many shitters become the Xantia of many shitters? :)

What's the cut off point between "not" and "many". Surely this should be in the forum rules somewhere?

We simply can't be expected to deal with this ambiguity.