1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

Gas bottle won't be here until tomorrow sometime before 5pm so I likely won't make any welding progress until the day after.  Not to worry, seems I've been hit with some sort of lurgy so I'm not really of a mind to be doing welding at the moment, or much of anything else.  That hasn't stopped me making some little progress.  Hit half the roof (left side, the shiny bit on the right side is more recently applied paint) and the driver's door with T-cut while I was waiting for filler to cure, it doesn't really improve the look of the paint but it does improve the feel of it and of course offers some protection, allbeit not a great deal.

36123849432_f8759afe9b_b.jpg20170731-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35457028074_63c4bb1891_b.jpg20170731-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Some filler fell off the boot lid when I shut it.  Rather than digging it all out I just smoothed the edges and repainted it.  The boot lid does need a bit of work on the edge which I'll do at some point in the future and I'll tackle the filler at the same time.  The filler just seems to be hiding a big dent, nothing more scary than that.

36123848792_9a382b5198_b.jpg20170731-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Got myself a better brush and put a couple of coats of paint on the wing.  The paint is definitely past its best, it doesn't level out that great.  It looks presentable enough and, with a bit of fine wet-and-dry and some time it can be made to look better.  It's fine for this car, you can see where I've repaired and from the other side of a car park - a very large car park - it at least looks more presentable than patches of primer.

35457027774_530cc37dda_b.jpg20170731-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36123848092_2b1b85e117_b.jpg20170731-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Second coat of paint hadn't dried by the time I was ready to go so I didn't get as far as refitting lights.  You'll also notice I didn't bother cutting through the filler to reveal the wing seams, that's because eventually I plan to replace this wing with a new one, at which point I'll bother with the fripperies of details like that and do a better job.  For now it's tidy, solid, and purple.  That's good enough for me.

I've not had a little meltdown for ages.  Need more things to go horribly wrong so my mental health can go into a proper old fashioned Hindenburg oh-the-humanity dive so we can relive those halcyon days.

Excellent.

A little courtesy wouldn't go amiss - I was only asking a pertinent question. Don't be so snappy dear. I take comfort that you're far more pleasant in real life. You came across as quite okay at Renishaw a few years ago. 

As you were.

i suspect that the constant stream of " its ok for this car, it will do for now,it doesnt matter,its only temporary ill do it again,sometime" etc means that he knows its a bit shit and is constantly trying to justify it.Personally i dont see the point in going to the effort of cutting out rust and re welding only to give it a shonky coat of dulux over the top with a yard broom,but each to their own.

Make it solid, make it work, sod the cosmetics.

I like shiny cars, I really do, and had I more time and money I'm sure this one would end up lovely and shiny too.  I just want it welded up and enough paint on in the right places that it doesn't rot out immediately on use.  Experience has taught me that a car sat idle is an unhappy car and cosmetic restoration can be done while a car is in use.  There's absolutely no point sinking bags of time into making it pretty until I've driven it and used it and found out if I get on with it.

By not spending oodles of cash on spangly panels and paint and going all make do and mend on this I stand a chance of enjoying the car.  I'm not rushing through and cutting corners on the repairs, and the "it'll do" mentality towards cosmetics isn't intended as an excuse because it's not an excuse.  It's more to try and dissuade people from asking me when I'm painting it.

It is tiresome that everyone that sees the car asks "when are you painting it?", as if that's more important than, I dunno, the car having sills.  Paint is not important, so long as there's enough of it to keep the metal from rotting away then you don't need to worry about it beyond that.  One day I might paint it, for now I'm more interested in getting it working, back on the road and in use.

There's a balance between perfectionism and usability isn't there, make it too nice and you'll be scared to leave it anywhere. Regardless of condition, if I passed that coming the other way, I'd think "wow, an old ADO still on the road" rather than "paint looks a little iffy on that".

There's a balance between perfectionism and usability isn't there, make it too nice and you'll be scared to leave it anywhere. Regardless of condition, if I passed that coming the other way, I'd think "wow, an old ADO still on the road" rather than "paint looks a little iffy on that".

Your right there. I'm going to have my Capri as close to perfect as I can when it's finished. But this does leave me thinking about its usability.

Before I started the restoration it was always a reasonable looker that was 100% reliable and I could jump in and go anywhere. Picking up stone chips, scratches etc didn't matter much. Neither did it matter if it was rained on or got dirty.

When it's back and finished all of that will matter! I'm not having all that done and all that cash spent to watch this country's shit weather ruin it again. Getting a stonechip or scratch will be devastating!

As beautiful as the car will look as a minter it will undoubtedly render it far less usable and when I do use it it'll be a constant worry about what might happen to it.

I'm still going to do it of course because it's how I want the car, but there's a hell of a lot to be said for not having a mint car. I think it's great to see any old car still running wether it's a mint resto job, modified classic or a slightly rough and ready classic still earning its keep as a means of transport.

It is tiresome that everyone that sees the car asks "when are you painting it?", as if that's more important than, I dunno, the car having sills.  m more interested in getting it working, back on the road and in use.

I thought it a perfectly reasonable question.

Sorry if it upset you, but I'm not tiptoeing around trying not to.

Anyway. You will enjoy it. It's 1100 and they're delightful to drive.  :-D

@Rev:  It's not a dig at you.  Plenty of people seem to think shiny paint is the be all and end all.

@Felly: I don't have any purple trousers, I'm not Bruce Banner.  Some days I wish I was...

----

Today a surprise parcel arrived in the post in the form of a crinkle grille.  I do love a crinkle grille.  Thanks to anonymous_user for the present, I'm pretty sure that's who sent it anyway.  It was a simple matter to chuck it on the front of the car.

36179170561_ee0bbd0b52_b.jpg20170801-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I'm not 100% happy with the how the crinkle grille looks, I'm pretty sure it's more of an insert for the surround rather than a grille in its own right so I'll get the rivets drilled out of the car's original grille and swap the inserts to finish the job off properly.

36313921635_ea94e7e87e_b.jpg20170801-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Ah, yes, and a few other things were put on too.  The indicator bulb glass came out of its holder when I tried to remove it so I spent some time fannying about with pliers getting the rest of the bulb out of the holder.  The spare holder that Beige1100 sent me along with the clear lenses had an orange bulb in it so that was put in.  I fitted one of the new headlight gaskets and the various layers of headlight too before plugging that in.  A few less things to get lost now.  Looks really tidy up front now, can't wait to get the other wing and bumper back on.

36179169921_5b08680ab9_b.jpg20170801-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36313920985_49c909ec2e_b.jpg20170801-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Not a big update, just a fun one.  Oh, and the gas bottle arrive so I'm hoping to get the inner wing all sorted tomorrow ready for the outer wing to go on. I might leave the replacement wing grey, because I can.

To Do list stands thus:

Bodywork

Driver's side

- bulkhead repair behind inner wing and trumpet panels DONE

- front inner wing to repair above displacer DONE and at front subframe mounting point

- front inner wing "trumpet" to replace DONE

- finish removing remnants of old front outer wing DONE

- minor repair on replacement front outer wing

- fit front outer wing

- repair outer edges of front bumper shelf DONE

- Front floor pan repairs (panel arrived)

- small hole to investigate and repair on lower inner wing to floor join DONE

- front subframe mount on heelboard to investigate and repair if required.

- bulkhead mounting point for heater to repair

- inner sill.  Some very small patches to finish

- sill closing panel to buy and attach

- rear lower outer wing/arch area to replace

- boot floor to inner wing section to repair

- rear boot floor seam to clean and repair as necessary

Passenger side

- boot floor to inner wing section to repair DONE

- rear subframe mount to investigate and improve previous repair if necessary DONE

- filler below B pillar to investigate on outer sill, potentially patch using parts of spare partial outer sill investigated, rot in sill to repair

- small section of front closing panel of outer sill to inner wing to repair

- sill closing panel to buy and attach

- Headlight section of front outer wing to replace DONE

- Upper trailing edge of wing to replace DONE

- lower trailing edge of front outer wing to replace DONE

- lower leading edge of front outer wing to replace DONE

Mechanical and Electrical

- repair wiring loom where I accidentally sliced through it DONE

- Identify and re-instate wiring DONE

- Identify non-starting issue DONE cleaned points, replaced starter motor and coil.

- Identify cause of inoperable horn and indicators.  Potentially replace horn and indicator relay.  Potentially dismantle and/or clean column stalk to resolve connections

- Obtain and fit correct battery, current one much too large

- acquire good set of tyres, all five current tyres are perished.  Car currently wearing 165/70/12 on one axle and 155/R12 on the other axle

- flush and replace coolant

- fit new throttle cable DONE

- if good, refit choke cable DONE

- bleed clutch.  If needed, acquire rebuild kit or replacement clutch cylinder (ordered replacement cylinder) DONE

- unseize and rebuild or replace clutch master cylinder DONE

- replace missing brake line

- bleed brakes

Cosmetic

- repair and retrim door cards

- repair and retrim parcel shelf

- acquire and fit new carpetting

- apply paint where required

I think that no matter what paint it has, there will come a time with Vulg will polish it up and it'll look dandy.

In the meantime what tyres should it have? I would think the 155's would be more likely for the early seventies but not that many companies make 12" tyres anymore. Just had a trawl through Tyre Leader and there's a lot of cheapo brands in that sort of size but not many "decent" makes. That said, Falken Sincera's are £32 each which isn't bad and probably much better than the £28 "Torque" branded rubber which comes in at he cheapest end of the range available