1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

I don't HAVE to fix it ;) I just thought it'd be one less thing to worry about since I've got all the gear here to sort it in about ten minutes and you then don't need to stress about trying to find someone with a pump, etc.

Nah I think it makes complete sense for you to if you could. Saves me having to bodge a grease pump and a lot of swearing.

So as there's no drivers floor at the moment, I got to the workshop a few days ago and there was a cat sunning itself inside on the parcel shelf and purring quite contently.

I filled in the gap to stop it happening again and the feline intruder did no damage, but I was amused by it.

I might've said "You've got to be kitten me!" out loud when I saw it. To no one except me. Then I laughed at my own pun.

No doubt my cat will attempt the same. She seems to like to sit on the most awkward of places. Like ...

...on top of a set of precarious boxes

85f3323e46f3ad567fe65e30ff7d287a.jpg

...in a tiny space behind a light.

b1a9c135f06e9c7e034b5b4c63a493ab.jpg

...under the bed.

post-20071-15253883498643.jpeg

...or even directly on top of a tea towel when it fell off the washing pile.

aef97da3e08fd0d98725ee587bcc5664.jpg

So no doubt it'll be a new thing to explore. I need to figure out actually how I will let her in and out of the house when I start welding. The cat flap is directly where I will be working.

What's the deal with the MK2 and MK3 front brakes? There seems to be complete brand new calipers, seals and pistons readily available for the MK1 but virtually nothing for the MK2 and MK3. I see the MK2 and MK3 is a different design, is if completely unique for the ADO16?

My work can rebuild them. By the sound of it, they're a similar design to the Allegro, if they share pistons then they are unobtanium. Fortunately, we've got about 20 new old stock LH Allegro calipers we've been robbing pistons from to complete customers' jobs.

Really useful to know. If the piston is damaged, it can be either cleaned up on a lathe or remanufactured from bar stock on a lathe?

The clutch plate will be sticking on the primary gear splines. A Mini 1100 clutch kit used to be just the plate. The release bearing a diaphragm go again and again.

I guess I need to double check the clutch hydraulics are doing what they're supposed to do first. If they are fine, how would you recommend going about releasing it otherwise? Iirc Vulgalour has tried different tricks to try freeing it while still on the car to no avail.

As above, Mk 2 & 3 used swinging calipers and wedge shaped pads, completely different to Allegro and unique (as far as I know) to the ado16.  Nothing to stop you fitting a  complete mk1 set-uo, including the smaller discs, but the mk2/3 set up works much better if in good condition (despite only one piston).

• 1 month later...

T minus 7 days. I'm really excited!

In the meantime, here is a nice little documentary I found to keep you occupied:

[Video]

I'm thinking I might make a new thread for my adventure* with this and a couple of links back to this thread and catsinthewelder original thread. Knowing my verbal and textual diarrhoea, the thread will get even longer.