vulgalour

1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

It begins.

For those that may be new to this particular story, I was pinged over on Twitter by 320Touring about catsinthewelder parting ways with his little Austin that I had admired from afar for a long, long time and never been able to do anything about.  This time everything aligned properly and I could swoop in and inflict another project on myself while also assisting a fellow shiter.

Krujoe stepped up to offer collection/delivery services entirely out of the blue.  Vastly appreciated since hiring a trailer is always an absolute chore to organise and get together and thus removing huge amounts of stress from the whole process.  Nothing* has ever gone wrong while Krujoe has been towing things so we'd be fine.

For some background you want to check out this FREE CAR thread and this CAR FOR SALE thread and probably this COLLECTION thread.  Then you'll know about as much as I do.

Before 2011 (don't know how long ago this was)
post-5335-0-82283000-1499543282_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-05263800-1499543144_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-62647100-1499543207_thumb.jpg

2017 (now)
post-5335-0-89766400-1499543227_thumb.jpg

Now that it's nice and ripe it's just about ready for me to get involved.  Collection happens tomorrow and it will likely be radio silence for the duration as I don't have a mobile update ability so you may not get another update on this until Monday morning/early afternoon depending what time we get back on Sunday.  Journey is going to be an epic one starting at Stockton-on-Tees, travelling about 2 hours to get to Castle Cleland in Malham and then on to Ludlow to collect the little purple horror.  It's going to be an early start and a very late finish.

This thread, like my others, will chart the ups and downs of whatever happens with this little car.  It's less complicated than the Princess and parts are far easier to acquire than the Renault so it's got to be an easier project even with the problems I've already had my attention drawn to. Should be fun!

I like these. Good spares availability is a big plus. My first car, a mini clubman, apparently had the engine and gearbox out of one of these. It had very short gear ratios on it's 10" wheels anyway. A nice little* project. I look forward to the updates.

Its a cracking little thing to drive, I'm really going to miss it. Its just a shame that it rusts faster than I can weld. I went to put the back seat in earlier and found the floor had a worrying amount of give, looked underneath and the good sill that I didn't need to fix before was really quite bad.

Sills are at least easy peasy to get hold of and not too dear either.  Because I have the confidence to do them myself that saves several hundred quid.  I've been told on the rot front the specific points (other than that bit between the front number plate and the rear number plate) are:

- rear boot corners

- rear subframe front mounting points and/or seatbelt mounting points

- all three parts of the three part sills, particularly under the B pillar, the trailing and the leading edges

- rear arches, particularly the trailing edge, leading into the lower wing

- rear valance

- door bottoms and trailing edge corners (though this is normal for 60s/70s cars so doesn't really count)

- inner wings, both sides, most specifically the 'trumpet' strengthener and where the wing meets the bulkhead

- outer wings on all the vertical seams and headlight mounting area

- floors where they meet the inner sills

- floors where they meet the front arches

- bulkhead under the washer bottle, sometimes under the brake fluid reservoir too

I don't think this one is too far advanced in those areas and has had some repairs so it should be repairable.  Unlike this poor example which demonstrates just how keen they are to provide a sanctuary for rustbugs.

I sold it before I went on my sabbatical from the forum.  Click on the link in the post above, the thread was updated to the day the car was collected.  I've heard nothing since though the buyer's plan was to fully restore it and I know that was going to be a lot of work if he wanted it to the standard of the Rolls Royces and such he normally worked on.

Yes, sorry, it's all (mostly) my fault. Somehow, when last week's thread popped up, I remembered that three or four years ago, Vulg expressed a MEGAHORN for this in one of the old threads. Connections were made, and shit happens. The day may yet come when he curses my name.

Another pic from an occasional member, and previous owner: 

Pics from the two times we owned it

post-20764-0-74786600-1483710301.jpg

Looks grand there. (Unless that's a catastrophic coolant leak...)

I have a feeling that pic is from 2008...

Tonight the Pleasure_Wagon and A.R.S.E Trailer of Win stand poised and ready*, despite a slight electricity deficiency. WCPGW?

Interested to see updates on this one. AR online suggests that the only places you need to check for rot are the brown coloured areas:

AF3147-austin-1100.png

http://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and-figures/buying-guide/buying-guide-bmc-11001300/

As long as they are ok, you should be fine. Good luck!

Interested to see updates on this one. AR online suggests that the only places you need to check for rot are the brown coloured areas:

AF3147-austin-1100.png

http://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and-figures/buying-guide/buying-guide-bmc-11001300/

As long as they are ok, you should be fine. Good luck!

There is nothing worse than rusty tyres and glass!

Look forward to reading about the continuing escapades of vulgalour's ever growing purple BL collection.

There is nothing worse than rusty tyres and glass!

Rusty glass is a possibility if you don't cover the glass when welding and grinding - which may be required from time to time in the life of an ADO 16

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Wack
      Short version of a long thread

Bought Nov 17 with a blown engine
      Put new engine in that was worse than the old one
      Put another 70,000 mile engine in out of a 330D that I saw running this time

It's got loads of history inc recon gearbox and suspension done

Drives ok , no warning lights on , 2 keys, one needs a battery , 12 months mot, everything works inc AC

Needs the blower direction box sorting , it's on your feet, could be 5 minutes , could be 30 mi utes then theres a whoosh as something frees off and it's all working normally
      I had a Google and it's something to do with vents, the box goes misshapen, I read a screw in the right place pulls it back into shape

Inner rear arches behind the back doors need welding , heated screen only demists the passenger side

It'll come with the original 18" wheels and wheel nuts as well as the 19" that are on it, but the 18" tyres are close to the limit

Qualifies for modern classic insurance , adrian flux quoted me under £200 TPFT , I went with A plan at £300 fully comp

I haven't advertised it anywhere else yet

Original post below

I've been looking at Range Rovers for a
      few weeks , in the past as I have a very competent/cheap mechanic I've bought a few projects that have worked out Ok but not a RR

I've found one with an engine problem, not too far away guy wants shot of it so he'll take £1000 for it , it's a 2003 HSE with 150k on the clock, MOT history looks very good, it's tested until next april and he said it's had gearbox work in the last 6 months

It's a really bad idea isn't it ,put me off with tales of woe, I'm really tempted to go and see it and risk divorce
    • By Tigerfox
      I know this is not the usual car to see on here but Tigerfox Jr has a baby on the way and he is discovering how expensive they are.

It is a 2003 231 version with the 6 speed gearbox and has only done 34k. I looked at loads before finding this one and it is very nice condition

Starts instantly, recent new battery and uses fuel at a alarming rate ! 

Mot until July and would expect it to pass as it has only done 500 miles since the last one

I have more pictures and it is advertised elsewhere for £1795 and a forum discount applies so £1675,  NOW £1500

Leather interior, air con, working electric and heated seats, bose radio/cd

PM me if you want more photos or contact details.

Car is in South Leicestershire

• By SRi05
      Brief background to this:

I swapped my Jaguar for this car 2 and a half weeks ago as I was desperate to scratch my v8 itch, a client who works in my office bought it last September as a winter hack from his father in law. He was always complimentary towards the jag, I've always fancied a V8, so when he told me he was selling it I asked if he fancied a swapz and he was up for it!

Unfortunately it's came at the wrong time for me, as my hours at work have halved recently and I really need something with economies as I'm applying for jobs with a commute longer than my current 8 miles a day. A petrol V8 unfortunately won't be suitable.

So to the car, it's absolutely brilliant tbh. Absolutely huge inside, comfortable ride, sits at just under 2k revs at 70 and goes like a fucking rocket with the foot down. 300bhp from the V8 engine. It's the ultimate barge. Gearboxes are a known issue with these cars, this one is smooth AF. selects every gear perfectly and goes through them smoothly when progressing. It has 103,000 miles on the clock, the car has full service history until 92,000 (mostly dealer) which was in 2009, it's barely moved in the past ten years,a couple of hundred miles between MOT'S each year. It was put back into service last summer, there's receipts in the glovey for an oil and filter change and an engine terraclean. Aluminium body on these cars as well so no rust, it scrubs up very well. 2 remote fobs and a spare 3rd key. Has a parrot Bluetooth thingy which is nearly new, it's been properly fitted, I'll leave it in there. Private plate with comedy RFL lettering included.

That's the good bits, so what about the bad?

There is a judder when braking above 35/40 mph. Brakes work well but can feel a pulse under the pedal. Will need looked at.

Rear brake light warning light on,there is a light out on the drivers side, will get this replaced

This car has previously had a coolant leak from the reservoir bottle and also one of the hoses, the previous owner repaired it prior to me buying it which cost £££ I believe, as access isnt great in the engine bay. It hasn't leaked since. It used to leave a few drips overnight on the ground, but has been dry the last couple of weeks.

Tires have decent tread but have two different brands on the front and rear,which is a bugbear of mine.

Aircon needs a regas m9.

And that's it really. Car is MOT'd until July, and is located in Glasgow. £1750. I know it's not the usual AutoShite giveaway price but it's a beast of a machine. And I need to recoup my jaaaaaag money. A quick glance on autotrader has rough 3.7's and non quattro 2.8's for over 2k. Any questions please fire away. Cheers

• By sims00
      So for various reasons, mainly money and hopefully, impending engagement/wedding (sshhhh) this is deffo for sale, with a discount for shiters.

Currently, I am having the alternator replaced, as it basically died yesterday. I've sourced a good quality second hand one from a breaker with some warranty, and it's been checked and proven to work perfectly. It arrives in a couple of days, and I am paying to have it fitted. So the car is currently awaiting this in the garage.

I've already got an alternative vehicle sourced and don't need any PX's, just a straightforward sale. This was purchased from Colc of this very parish, and has been fantastic, alternator issue aside!

So..

-130k miles, FSH - stamped book, countless receipts and paperwork, totalling thousands of pounds..mechanically absolutely brilliant. Recent stuff like turbo and other bits, engine is sweeter than your proverbial nut

-Full leather with heated seats, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, dual zone climate control..all working perfectly!

-recent full service by me approx 2k miles ago involving oil/oil filter, pollen, air..fuel filter included but I ran out of time and haven't actually had time to sit and do it since

-rust free! underneath it is fabulous. Seems to have had a very recent new exhaust system too.

-MOT till 19th November 2019!

No knocks/bangs/ghosts/borrowers/cockroaches. It really does drive brilliantly. Comes with 3 keys, 4 matching Michelin Cross Climate tyres. Only negatives are it has a ding to the rear tailgate, and theres a small patch of paint that flaked off on the rear bumper thanks to aggressive car wash peoples.

I'm located in Quinton, Birmingham.

• By kinkersaab
      Just arrived today, on my breif test drive it seemed all good, no issues with engine/ box etc, no warning lights on. Nice inside with all the buttons i tried working. Scabby bits a plenty as is to be expected from such a premium brand.......   WARNING !  might cause you to turn into a tediously dull Golf driver and start quoting mpg figures.  Plenty room in the glovebox to leave your personality before you exit the vehicle and mix with others...…