'93 Mondy thread - a K reg estate *exists*

egg

Loving this thread, gradual improval of old ordinary cars is right up my street!!

Is it a keep forever car Egg?

as for the trims, were the ones on it the correct ones for the base before you changed for GLX because I always thought it was these ones on a base: (Pic courtesy of our very own cms206)

5327887416_8ca3d33846_b.jpgL335 YGD by Andy Campbell, on Flickr

PS, is the Aspen higher spec than base then? I always thought that was the base spec.

Aspen wasn't a Mk1 spec, that was straightforward no-nonsense Base (no name), LX, GLX, Si, Ghia with the Verona being added as a run-out at the end somewhere around an LX sort of level.

It wasn't until the Mk2 that they started to use airy-fairy names like Aspen, and the Verona became a permanent model, plus Ghia X was added.

Thought so,the verona had alloys over an lx but lower than a glx. There is a glx in alBert looms though that doesn't have lumbar support,rear interior light or variable intermittent wiper speed yet my verona does. I still like the look of the mk1 though.

The Mk1 Verona I owned had steels with trimz, until I went to a breakers in Shitebrook and they had a set of ST200 17" multispokes that he thought was some generic Halfords alloys so he let me have them, with tyres, for £100. Pretty sure the steels were original, can't remember what the design of trims was though.

Aspen wasn't a Mk1 spec, that was straightforward no-nonsense Base (no name), LX, GLX, Si, Ghia with the Verona being added as a run-out at the end somewhere around an LX sort of level.

It wasn't until the Mk2 that they started to use airy-fairy names like Aspen, and the Verona became a permanent model, plus Ghia X was added.

Dont mean to sound pedantic but wasnt the Verona a special edition at the start of the mk2 on R plates as well as the end of mk1 on P plates? then became a permanent model on W and X plate runout models? 

Never seen a T or V plate Verona I dont think. 

This shows the wheels for the Mark 1 base model, although this is a 1994 model with the side strips deleted!

attachicon.gifFord Cars Feb 94 062-063 Mondeo Base.jpg

That just doesnt look right at all with the missing side strips.

The Mk1 Verona I owned had steels with trimz, until I went to a breakers in Shitebrook and they had a set of ST200 17" multispokes that he thought was some generic Halfords alloys so he let me have them, with tyres, for £100. Pretty sure the steels were original, can't remember what the design of trims was though.

Yeah mk1 Verona did have steels as standard, from memory wasnt it (alloys aside) a lot better equipped than the early mk2 Veronas? 

This is how I remember the mk1s, all seemed to have these trims:

477ae2fd585266531655d802282ac3a3.jpg

The Mk1 Verona didn't have allloys, just some Scorpio hubcaps, also had different interior trim which was a bit garish. Also had 15 inch wheels whereas most Mk1 1.8s had 14 inch steels.

The Aspen was on bothe Mk1 and Mk2, the Mk1 Aspens were the 1.6 and 1.8td a fleet special if you could only just afford a Mondeo, it replaced the base model I think when they face lifted the range to include body coloured bumpers in around 1995.

The Mk2 Verona is just an LX with air con, headlamp height adjusters and some alloys. I think they were all 1.8s. Similarly the last Zetecs were just a 1.8/2.0 LX with alloys and a spoiler.

From my collection of priceless* artefacts.

post-4819-0-13052300-1501139421_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-83977400-1501139447_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-97440700-1501139472_thumb.jpg

The Mk1 Aspen was available to the general public through your friendly local Ford dealer.

Seems to have been just above base, with rubbing strips, pass airbag, central locking and free metallic paint.

1.6 / 1.8TD only, though, and, crucially,  still no rev counter.

Brochure date March '94.

The bad news is....it's bloody solid looking without any obvious rust areas, why is this bad? It could become my next money pit! Only 46k miles.

I handed over my £300 despite all the issues below, apparently they had another viewing booked for 2:30pm, well, maybe they did...

Urgent jobs:

New cambelt, Aux belt and tensioners/pulleys is urgent, the aux belt is obviously in a bad way and the sounds from the pulleys is horrific, every time I turn it on I think 'there by the grace of god' (so that's £250)

Important jobs:

Tyres are all perfectly legal but 3 of them at least are pretty old, Pirelli P6000's on the rear seem to date from 2000!! (£180 for four ditch finders)

Coolant looks a bit old, needs a drop, and well if that's going to be done might as well do the stat (£40)

It pulls to the left like mine does and vibrates through the steering wheel above 50mph, and this could be anything from balancing, tyre wear, alignment or time for new lower arms (so anywhere between £15 and £250)

Routine jobs

Oil and filter (£35)

Fuel Filter probably wouldn't hurt (£10)

Brake Fluid renewal

Air filter (£5)

Cosmetic jobs

4 x weatherstrips needed (£90)

Central locking not working (think it's a fuse, but probably connected in some way to alarm issues)

It's been outside all of its life so most rubber parts are badly worn (particularly boot seal and rear light seals which can cause water ingress)

Needs a new parcel shelf hook (lol)

2 x headlight reflectors (£25 - but I do have some 'in stock')

One side that must have faced the sun a lot has quite a lot of lacquer peel, but that doesn't bother me too much.

So a £300 car can become a £1000 car very easily....