Renault Laguna, Y reg. But why, Reg?

scaryoldcortina

OK, options.

1 - scrap it and start again. Scrapyard offered me a very generous £50 which isn't much of a loss (I think I spent about £80 all in excluding tax)

2 - find a cheap engine. Not that easy, and the same scrapyard wants more for an uncertain engine than they will pay for the car...

3 - buy the ebay horror that bollox posted above. If it goes for less than £50 I can still sell him that one after I've taken the engine. Problem is although "it drives" it might just do the same thing this one did.

4 - part it out myself. CBA, haven't got the space.

5 - continue to wish I'd bought the Legend myself. Possibly rescue the S reg accord that is in the yard needing a clutch master cyl.

6 - I got cold called by MG cars this afternoon, they are offering £2000 part exchange on ANY MoT'd car against a new MG6.

7 - Buy a bicycle.

I've got a test drive booked for tomorrow, and I could afford it. I don't think it's going to happen though!

further to option 2 - I've offered a tenner on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Laguna-2001-2005-1-8-16v-Engine-F4P-770-/181523458950?hash=item2a43a42b86:g:YEoAAOSwxH1UEYkV&autorefresh=true

Ipswich to durham shite express to save the £50 postage?

Just guessing, obv, but what I think is that the main bearings were already very worn due to abuse and lack of servicing. The worn bearing was surrounded by a gunky oily film of old oil and metal particles. Changing the oil, especially for nice modern thin stuff, flushed the crap out of the bearings leaving them dangerously thin and then one spins round onto its pair and locks the crank.

Just guessing, obv, but what I think is that the main bearings were already very worn due to abuse and lack of servicing. The worn bearing was surrounded by a gunky oily film of old oil and metal particles. Changing the oil, especially for nice modern thin stuff, flushed the crap out of the bearings leaving them dangerously thin and then one spins round onto its pair and locks the crank.

I'd imagine that's probably it.  Also, I think the new oil can disturb built-up clag that has been building up for years- this then loosens and blocks a critical oilway, which then starves whatever it feeds oil to... with disastrous consequences.

I've been reading this thread with interest and (although it's not me doing the work or spending the cash) I for one would enjoy reading about an engine swap on this car. Does seem a shame to scrap it after all the wonderful low-budget improvements you've made to the thing. Fix it, then you can continue laughing in the face of consumerism and our modern throwaway society.

A friend of a friend recently admitted that she has never had her M-plate Carina E serviced in the 8+ years she's owned it because 'it costs too much money'.  I foolishly said that next time she was visiting I would do it for the cost of the oil and filters just to save the poor thing being abused any more but I reckon I'll rescind that offer now, I don't think I'd want all the aggro if it expired shortly afterwards.

Might as well ask here as anywhere else - what else does the 1.8 16v go into, and is the bottom end of the 2.0 more or less the same? (there is a 2.0 lag with a snapped belt in the scrappy - if I can put the 1.8 head onto its block and use all the ancilliaries then it's only going to cost me a headgasket and some time)

F4x

The F4x is an indirect actuated 16-valve DOHC with a multipoint-EFI system.

220px-Mitsubishi_twin-scroll_turbo_2.JPG

Twin-scroll turbo on the F4Rt engine

I've got a test drive booked for tomorrow, and I could afford it. I don't think it's going to happen though!

further to option 2 - I've offered a tenner on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Laguna-2001-2005-1-8-16v-Engine-F4P-770-/181523458950?hash=item2a43a42b86:g:YEoAAOSwxH1UEYkV&autorefresh=true

Ipswich to durham shite express to save the £50 postage?

I'm sure I could do that when I pick the Sierra up from Trig to bring back to Redcar.

Failing that I could always bring the knackered Laguna from Osmotherley over with the truck for £priceofacoupleofpints

Might as well ask here as anywhere else - what else does the 1.8 16v go into, and is the bottom end of the 2.0 more or less the same? (there is a 2.0 lag with a snapped belt in the scrappy - if I can put the 1.8 head onto its block and use all the ancilliaries then it's only going to cost me a headgasket and some time)

F4x

The F4x is an indirect actuated 16-valve DOHC with a multipoint-EFI system.

220px-Mitsubishi_twin-scroll_turbo_2.JPG

Twin-scroll turbo on the F4Rt engine

There you go, you see - isn't Wikipedia wonderful?  All you need to do now is find an old Praga R1 in a scrapyard near you, and you're sorted.