New MOT History site now live.

GrumpyCat

Interesting stuff. Apparently whoever ended up with my old MK2F Polo Coupe didn't MOT it after it failed on some sort of loose fuel system part.

This will be very handy for knowing a bit more about cars we're interested in buying. Whoever was driving the Swift I'm looking at buying seemed to rely on Mr MOT Man to tell them what was wrong.  Here's the fail sheet from 2008:

Offside Front Seat belt retracting mechanism defective
Offside Rear Seat belt retracting mechanism defective
Nearside Rear Seat belt retracting mechanism defective
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively
Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively
Nearside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure
Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure
Advisory notice item(s)
Both front tyres starting to perish on outer walls and tread.
Both front wiper blades worn.
All tyre valves fowling on wheel trim metal rings.

Then in 2009:

Offside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b)

*headdesk*

Only had 16k miles on it in 2011.

The Almera seems to have had rather a lot of fails on

2014:
Nearside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)
Rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (3.5.1g)
2008:
Nearside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)
Offside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)
2007:
Offside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)

Either very unlucky or someone at the test centre supplies tyres :huh:

An almost constant advisory:
 Offside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Offside Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Wow! The Porsche 924 I used to have, which had the longest fails sheet I'd ever received, has a current MOT which only had two advisories!!!

I sold it to a bloke who I thought was presumably going to break it. It was knackered!! Fair play to him fir putting it back on the road.

The 850 had a few tests with loads of fails that shouldn't happen, lights and tyres etc, and a period off the road.

The MOT history does give a good idea of how a car has been looked after. Multiple tyre and lighting fails tell you that a previous owner wasn't really on top of maintenance, as do brake disc advisories on consecutive years.

2/2 first time passes on my watch.

Well, with such an expensive luxury car, I'm sure an easily fixed advisory like

"Advisory notice item(s)

all road tyre's on the vehicle have sign's of perishing, all ok at present moment however would suggest the customer keep's a eye on the condition of them."

Would be done immediately to save and further issue.

So, roll onto next year...

"Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Outer Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b)

Offside Outer Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b)

Nearside Outer Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b)

Offside Outer Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b)"

Whoops.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Paul Daniels isn't getting much use from his Isuzu Trooper lately (MAG 1C). Probably annoyed that he had to splash out on a new rear shocker in 2014. Failed on the battery being insecure too, probably didn't tighten the clamp after trickle-charging it in the kitchen.

Now that's not magic, Wizbit!

Interesting, but slightly odd. Not sure where they get ‘date first used’ from, but they say 1971 for my 1973 Datsun.

my old Chevy has the incorrect first used date, they weren't even maiking them when DVLA claim it hit the road

Serious question regarding MoTs, is a tester allowed to look at previous advisories before testing your car? As a "heads up"?

or is he obliged to start afresh, like the automotive version of innocent until proved guilty?

KP11 HOT, big tits, no brains, pink Range Rover in 2014.

• Advisory notice item(s)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
    Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Nail in offside rear tyre
    Nearside rear tyre is worn low on the inner and outer edges.

I'm enjoying looking at some of these legendary spots knocking around my manor and ones I've seen on Flickr. The Allegro estate in my road averages about 200 miles a year, and seems in pretty decent condition. The grey grill Sierra in London seems decent as well, no corrosion advisories which is good, low mileage about 40k as well.

Worst one is that old Mini Clubman estate from Fairfax Drive (EssDeeWon will know which car I'm talking about). That looked really ropey, and the pages of failures and advisories confirm it. Last Mot ran out 2013 and it's now SORN. JVX 190N if anyone wants to look, it's pretty impressive,

Looks like I dodged a bullet selling the ferreter when I did :-

Reason(s) for failure:

offside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

offside Headlamp aim too low and too far to the right.

nearside rear inner Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Sill (2.4.A.3)

nearside rear Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

offside rear lower Tie bar/rod has excessive play in a pin/bush Back (2.4.G.2)

nearside front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

offside front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

offside rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

offside rear Brake pipe inadequately supported (3.6.B.1)

nearside front Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)

offside front Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)

Advisory notice item(s):

engine mil light on

offside rear Sub-frame has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

nearside rear Sub-frame has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

It's quite interesting to see how some of mine are doing now.

My old Focus has had a spectacular of advisories every year since I sold it and plenty of fails too. Quite glad I didn't do the work to get it through another one before I sold it, it failed quite badly but had a few weeks left on the old test. Unsurprisingly, the last one ran out last year and it hasn't appeared since. I did see it last spring and it looked very rough.

Oddly, and quite pleasingly, the 53-reg Ka my mum had brand new is still going strong, wherever it is now, with not a single mention of corrosion on any of its tests. At least one is still solid then!