The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I don't know anything about it to be honest, all I know is the rear overriders aren't talking to each other any more and it's also a "1600CC", the CC bit being made up with Halfords badges.

The badge tricked me into thinking it was some kind of conversion.....Halfords badges have a lot to answer for!

dont look too bad

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases box (6.1.2 (a))
  • Emissions not tested rear exhaust box major blow (8.2.1.2 (d))
  • Nearside Front Headlamp aim too low also possible bulb re position (4.1.2 (a))
  • Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit (4.13 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
  • Service brake efficiency below requirements (1.2.2 (a) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material front to rear rear end (1.1.11 ©)
  • Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • n/s/r tyre heavy inner treads wear
  • n/s/r tyre inner/outer walls cracks/splits

Tyres felt a bit less grippy than they should today.  There's no obvious problems with them, no cracking, plenty of tread, etc.  They just seemed a bit less grippy.  Checked the date codes and learned my tyres are actually 16 years old.  Right then, tyre shopping it is.  185/70/14 is hopefully a fairly easy size to acquire something half decent in.

Been razzing the C1 over the last tank. Most motorway trips at 70mph (more on private test track), short trips of a couple of miles here and there and undulating 30 mile B-road trips to work and back taken spiritedly. 

55mpg and it's petrol.

It really is the perfect commuting car. Economical, good driving position and plenty room for the driver. It's also entertaining enough, very nimble and the engine has a nice thrum to it, it loves to be revved. 

If nursed along you can get scandalous economy, 70mpg not out of reach.

Been razzing the C1 over the last tank. Most motorway trips at 70mph (more on private test track), short trips of a couple of miles here and there and undulating 30 mile B-road trips to work and back taken spiritedly. 

55mpg and it's petrol.

It really is the perfect commuting car. Economical, good driving position and plenty room for the driver. It's also entertaining enough, very nimble and the engine has a nice thrum to it, it loves to be revved. 

Brilliant little cars, really impressed with the one we had.

•Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))

•Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Snap!  Must be a 45 "thing".  Bushes aren't too bad of a job apparently.

Looks like I've managed to swap my C50 for some tattoos!

I don't have Tattoos, but would swapping your tattoos, for a C50 not be a better deal (although perhaps more painful) ?

Although why anyone wants Cassette tapes these days is something to wonder about 

Tyres felt a bit less grippy than they should today.  There's no obvious problems with them, no cracking, plenty of tread, etc.  They just seemed a bit less grippy.  Checked the date codes and learned my tyres are actually 16 years old.  Right then, tyre shopping it is.  185/70/14 is hopefully a fairly easy size to acquire something half decent in.

TyresmokingDRIFTYO! 

I would be buying Uniroyal Rainsport2s if you can afford to get them A rated for wet grip. 

Obviously you can buy the right size or you could play with some alternatives.  I would be buying 195/60/14 which is standard for a mk3 cavalier and mk2 Cavalier SRi. 

post-17612-0-94693200-1540401446_thumb.jpg

Spreadsheet with the formula if you want to check my working. 

tyre size.xls

55mpg and it's petrol.

Pretty good going. I often got just under 50 mpg in an 08 C1 I had whether I was careful or not.

Tyres felt a bit less grippy than they should today. There's no obvious problems with them, no cracking, plenty of tread, etc. They just seemed a bit less grippy. Checked the date codes and learned my tyres are actually 16 years old. Right then, tyre shopping it is. 185/70/14 is hopefully a fairly easy size to acquire something half decent in.

185/70/14 seemed so big back in the 80s.

Tyres felt a bit less grippy than they should today. There's no obvious problems with them, no cracking, plenty of tread, etc. They just seemed a bit less grippy. Checked the date codes and learned my tyres are actually 16 years old. Right then, tyre shopping it is. 185/70/14 is hopefully a fairly easy size to acquire something half decent in.

185/70/14 seemed so big back in the 80s.

Finding tyres with sidewall these days seems to mean getting van tyres, so thank goodness things like Uniroyals exist.  I'll likely do the front pair when I get paid and then the rear pair when I get paid again, work is pretty slow from now until February so there's not a huge amount of pocket money to play with unfortunately.  I really ought to have replaced these tyres earlier in the year when I was a bit richer, but there were lots of other things eating my pennies, like welding gas.

Finding tyres with sidewall these days seems to mean getting van tyres, so thank goodness things like Uniroyals exist.  I'll likely do the front pair when I get paid and then the rear pair when I get paid again, work is pretty slow from now until February so there's not a huge amount of pocket money to play with unfortunately.  I really ought to have replaced these tyres earlier in the year when I was a bit richer, but there were lots of other things eating my pennies, like welding gas.

Seriously NO. 

Do the back's first. If you have to choose which end has more grip always choose the back. Ask me how I know ! The internet and first hand experience.

Ever had a mk3 cavalier do a RWD powerslide in the rain ? 

I think the theory and borne out in real life is that safer to have understeer, than oversteer. 

Pretty good going. I often got just under 50 mpg in an 08 C1 I had whether I was careful or not.

I just got 33 mpg in a Y reg 3.2 Omega on my 95 mile Monday Morning commute .  With cruise control stuck at either 70 or 50 (about 45 miles of each). 

Around town ? Could be as low as 15 mpg if careful or 8 if not.  Hence cycling to work Tuesday to Thursday (5 miles). 

Seriously NO. 

Do the back's first. If you have to choose which end has more grip always choose the back. Ask me how I know ! The internet and first hand experience.

Ever had a mk3 cavalier do a RWD powerslide in the rain ? 

I think the theory and borne out in real life is that safer to have understeer, than oversteer. 

That's what the tyre place always recommends but I propose a counter argument that the front wheels do more of the braking and therefore it's safer to have more grip at the front.  It depends on the type of driving you do, there are no roundabouts here but plenty of sharp braking due to unpredictable driving so I prefer the fronts to be better.

POD: it's front wheel drive, so I'm putting the new tyres on the front first since that's the end that does all the work.  I'm having more issues with a loss of grip at the front than I am at the back.

I hear what you say.  If the front tyres are that bad, at least you'll get to practise Yodrift. If the back starts sliding put your foot down harder.  

At least you are not doing the 2 on  left hand side only.