1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - incontinence problem - see page 30

Peter C

On 29/03/2024 at 17:50, Peter C said:

Best I can do is raise the Sierra on axle stands and balance the gearbox on a trolley jack. One false move and I end up with the gearbox on the floor, maybe a life changing injury and no chance of getting the ‘box back on. For that reason, I’m out.

Totally understand not wanting to scrabble about under a car doing a clutch, but the gearboxes are only about 30kg, they're not bad. 

59 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Exhaust - Drill holes failed to allow any moisture to escape overnight and I could hear a significant blow from both silencers. Bollocks. Evidently, drilling holes in silencers is not a good idea. I will plug both holes with chemical metal and self-tapping screws this afternoon.

Do you have any rivets? Might be less faff and last longer.

Sierra looks flipping great, BTW!

42 minutes ago, HMC said:

Great!

looked forward to the outdoor pics. The ones beside the glass buildings look like brochure pics. Did the paint match on the NSF Door improve with the TLC ? 

I cut and polished the paint on the left side of the bonnet first and noted that the revived paint was significantly darker than the untreated faded paint. I therefore cut and polished the rest of the paintwork but not the NSF door, which I just polished.

As a result, the paint match between the NSF door and adjoining panels is now much better.

2 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Totally understand not wanting to scrabble about under a car doing a clutch, but the gearboxes are only about 30kg, they're not bad. 

Do you have any rivets? Might be less faff and last longer.

Sierra looks flipping great, BTW!

When I was in my early 20s, my mate and I removed the gearbox from his 2.0GLS Sierra and replaced the clutch with the front of the car raised on axle stands. That was 30ish years ago but I still remember how awkward the job was. Fortunately, there’s no need for a new clutch.

I’ve already fitted a couple of small domed head screws, job done.

Thanks for sharing all the pictures.  This thread is great, have really enjoyed reading it.  Minor thing, I've found OEM radios do sometimes seem amazingly good, absolutely no idea why.  Not sure I can conclude that based on limited experience but you're saying the same.  

12 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

the condensation will evaporate soon enough when you drive it long enough to heat everything up

It will but left for longer, it will cause the silencers to rot out from the inside.

2 minutes ago, Peter C said:

If the prize is an all expenses paid full respray for the Sierra then I accept.

OK - I've ordered two lots of this, hope I got your postcode correct ;-) 

Good thread - you did sound very grumpy at the start of it but things have picked up and now look at the lovely thing you have there.
(I'd not respray it if I were you - it's original and looks much loved. Patina over makeup any day)

4 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

(I'd not respray it if I were you - it's original and looks much loved. Patina over makeup any day)

If this was true then I would leave the paint as is and enjoy the patina but the Sierra is wearing a mediocre respray and has a mismatched NSF door. 

Never mind, if the Sierra had perfect paint then I would cry about leaving it parked outside. As it stands, I will kick it out from my workshop soon and watch the flies as they shit all over the bodywork.

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Well done that man! Lovely to see old cars out and about.Enjoy!Saw  Mk 4 Zephyr today coming out of GSF.Roads were wet as well.

We cruised past an early 60s Zodiac, up the A1 by Morpeth 😁

* only vehicle I passed all day, I'm a rivet counter about @55 (... The M.P. Geez, M9)

🚙💨

On 30/03/2024 at 12:37, sierraman said:

They just stick the name on any old shit. Used to be good but not now. 

Nah you're wrong. I put a borg and beck clutch kit in mine recently. it's managed a full 100 mile and hasn't failed yet! 🤣