The grumpy thread

outlaw118

12 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I've noticed that too.  Ribena is horrible now. At least for me it is.

Ribena has been horrible for me since 1966. I was not very well and was given a glass of warm Ribena which I immediately threw up. I have not felt like trying it since. I don't miss it at all, but it could gave been so much worse, my brother has an aversion to Jaffa cakes after he experienced a similar reaction with those.

Same here avoiding fizzy drinks these days.

The idea that the disgusting shit they put in them instead of sugar is better for your health is also plainly stupid. It tastes of cancer. And the media etc talking about what a success it is. The same idiotic approach to legislation that had them pushing diesel as an environmentally friendly fuel.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Same with orange lucozade.  Went from delicious to undrinkable in one sugar tax based amendment.  

Clever strategy - make unhealthy things so foul that nobody buys them.  The moment fags become aniseed flavoured, i’m quitting altogether.

Yeah... annoyingly Aspartame is the one I can taste the least...and it took me a month of getting migraines every other day before I joined the dots.  I was drinking it while I was running around all over Hell so didn't realise that the taste being "off" was because it had gained Aspartame!

I won't go too far on smoking.  I'm asthmatic and few things make me feel like shit more quickly than getting a face full of someone's smoke.  Or having a (still lit) fag end flicked in my face through the open car window (has happened four times now), so my feelings on the matter are that it should just be downright banned outside private homes.  What you do in your own house is your own business, but keep it out of everyone else's face.

Admittedly, having my mother's death certificate handed to me with smoking listed as the main contributor to the cause of death (she was 58) may have somewhat hardened my views on the subject.

I like a bargain me.
Sometimes I'll buy something I do not need right now or possibly ever and it sits on the shelf if the price is right.

I bought a new boxed, unopened but reduced to clear Logitech Webcam about six years ago because "Its a Logitech, they invented USB webcams, its foolproof"

So today, with a video interview arranged tomorrow I bust it out of its box and plug it in.
Its fucked, tried Win-10/Win-7 and a Linux box, Nothing, not detected at all.

Arses

I was out in the MX5 on Sunday when the steering suddenly started pulling to the left. It was progressively getting worse. As I was on a dual carriage way I nursed it to a safe place to pull over and investigate but at this point I also realised it was a flat tyre, nearside front.

I got the wheel brace out of the boot and it wouldn't fit in the wheel nut holes. Luckily my dad doesn't live too far from where I was and he brought me a slim line socket on an extendable bar. Upon removing the wheel and inspecting, it was actually the valve that had cracked/split at the base.

Unfortunately the short time I'd driven on the tyre had worn the sidewall. Also, upon checking all the other valves, they're all in the same condition. So, a new Rainsport 3 tyre has been ordered (gutted really as they're like new) and I shall gingerly make my way to a tyre fitters on Friday to have all the valves replaced.

Oh, and I need to order a slim line wheel brace ? 

We were due to have our windows and doors fitted this Friday, spent a fair bit of time getting quotes etc, making sure we have a decent spec on them etc, had a call from the window place this morning and they have gone bump, no great shake to me as I've not paid them any money up front but feel for the people and owners of the place. 

I did ask if they'd had the windows etc made as I would have paid for them and got a local fitter to do the fitting for me.. he's 99% sure they have not been made. 

22 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Halfords, I'm not one to complain but honestly, what is the fucking point of the place? They didn't have a Ford oil filter in the shelf, it took 5 minutes to find a member of staff and a further 5 minutes for them to go out back, come back and tell me they don't have any, but "come back later today, just in case some come in".  

It's like the Mary Celeste in Halfords these days. Even at peak times there's no more than 2 members of staff in the whole store that I've noticed and several confused customers queuing up at an empty till.

I was down there getting some bits and bobs last year and I went to both tills, upstairs and downstairs and couldn't find anyone to pay, not even outside in the WeFit tent so I just walked out. 

After 26 knockbacks out of 26 jobs applied for, the last 2 being today, I have come to the conclusion that I am punching above my weight at my career level. I'm not applying for any more jobs as my mind is fucking ruined with it.

Once I know my redundancy date I will apply to the local Traffic Management company as they are hiring together with Stagecoach for a driver job.

9 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

It's like the Mary Celeste in Halfords these days. Even at peak times there's no more than 2 members of staff in the whole store that I've noticed and several confused customers queuing up at an empty till.

I was down there getting some bits and bobs last year and I went to both tills, upstairs and downstairs and couldn't find anyone to pay, not even outside in the WeFit tent so I just walked out. 

Went to a car bits place that I haven't been to in 25 years.  The son of the original owner there now.

The place I used to use closed a while back.

A few minutes chat and oil+all filters, £38 - 5w30 fully synth.

Far better than Halfords, the bloke knows what is what and the prices are very reasonable although I would be happy to pay more to keep small businesses going,

Halfrauds are absolutely useless and have been for a few years now. They are no longer a car spares place - more bike and bling. The kids they employ don't look old enough to drive a car let alone know the innards of one.

I tend to use GSF locally as the team there have a good knowledge of cars and parts and availability is good.

Both the Halfords near me are dead now and deservedly so. Tried to sell me a £20 Bosch rear wiper for the Clio, in reality I wanted neither this nor the £19 Halfords branded item. 

Cleaning materials are expensive, I almost always get mine from ebay or Amazon now.

In fairness, I was working for Halfords twenty years ago and they were no great shakes even then... it's been a slow decline, partly driven by a revolving door of private-equity owners seeking to maximise profit, and partly because about 90% of motorists don't even seem to realise that a car requires oil, filters, brake pads etc, let alone how to go about checking/changing them.

I'd say the proliferation of new cars on PCP, over-complex designs that discourage DIYers, and the availability of cheap older cars that will run for years with zero maintenance have pretty much killed what was once Halfords' raison d'etre.

Rather short-sightedly though, instead of trying to woo those few weirdos like us that do still get our hands oily, they've nuked their once-comprehensive database and now pre-2000 cars like the Mk1 Laguna don't even appear on their stockfiles. I found myself in the disheartening position a year or so back when it became clear that not only did they not have any HT leads available for my Lag, but the staff member didn't even know what I was talking about.

As previously mentioned, I used to be the Parts Desk Manager in my branch, sourcing gaskets, oil pumps, alternators etc - that role just doesn't exist any more (as they source the few bits they do list from ECP). I used to take a fair bit of pride in successfully matching a paint shade for an Austin 1100, an exchange starter motor for a Triumph Spitfire, or finding a sump washer to fit a giffer-tastic Nissan Cherry - it was the odd stuff that used to make my day. 

Many of their prices now are indeed a total piss-take; I still have a Trade Card but would only use it in extremis. Since their core product line these days appears to be expensive polishes, novelty air fresheners and kids' bikes, I don't think they're weeping sore tears for me, though.

Their Advanced range of tools is pretty good, though. I'll give them that.

Halfords Advanced tools are the best thing they sell. If someone like Machine Mart sorts their life out and stops charging overinflated prices for crappy tools, they’ll lose their appeal, though. 

(I like the range of products MM stocks but the pricing is ridiculous for a lot of it - the Clarke range is rammed with the same cheap Chinese shite you can buy unbranded on eBay)

Just done a service, 250 miles early but even that was half the recommended distance.

Bought a new sump plug from eBay.  There was a Citroen dealer a mile away but it has turned into something else now.

Sump plug too small so re=used the old one, it is OK but a bit chewed up from before I bought it.

Went to reset the service interval counter and it won't do it, just eeps showing 250 miles.

And the oil level indicator on the dash isn't showing either, not that I ever bother checking it, uses no oil but I do check the dipstick every couple of weeks, just in case.

Going for MOT work on Monday.  Warped brake disk if nothing else,  Not getting involved with those front brakes, oh no!

Keyless entry modernz are getting lifted at an alarming rate around here in Essex, already today I have heard of three last night in Rayleigh within a couple of miles from home.  A Discovery, a sporty fiesta and an aldi A thingy.

A grump at manufacturers for not making people aware of this major design flaw when they part with £30k / £40k for said modern blob but also at the suggestions from other owners to wrap keys in tinfoil at night to stop the signal LOL!   I do feel for these people though, not nice having your property stolen regardless of what it is.  I wonder if my insurance will go up despite my car falling well outside this keyless fuckety bodgery?

Cant fault the AA , arrived in 30 minutes, split flexi pipe, he spent 20 minutes on the phone finding one, an hour going to get it and an hour fitting it 

Polish AA guy with a degree in engineering with 2 kids at private grammar school who's been here since 2005 but will be leaving for Spain once they've done their A levels , as you can tell we had a very interesting chat 

19 hours ago, myglaren said:

Went to a car bits place that I haven't been to in 25 years.  The son of the original owner there now.

The place I used to use closed a while back.

A few minutes chat and oil+all filters, £38 - 5w30 fully synth.

Far better than Halfords, the bloke knows what is what and the prices are very reasonable although I would be happy to pay more to keep small businesses going,

The only time I ever go there is between 2pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday when all the motor factors are closed. 

I use B&C in Leeds normally if I can plan what I need and pick it up during the week on my way home from work. 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, stephen01 said:

We were due to have our windows and doors fitted this Friday, spent a fair bit of time getting quotes etc, making sure we have a decent spec on them etc, had a call from the window place this morning and they have gone bump, no great shake to me as I've not paid them any money up front but feel for the people and owners of the place. 

I did ask if they'd had the windows etc made as I would have paid for them and got a local fitter to do the fitting for me.. he's 99% sure they have not been made. 

It's worth going round and having a chat with the receivers pronto, they'll class anything made up as scrap , if they have been made you'll get them for peanuts 

6 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

Keyless entry modernz are getting lifted at an alarming rate around here in Essex, already today I have heard of three last night in Rayleigh within a couple of miles from home.  A Discovery, a sporty fiesta and an aldi A thingy.

A grump at manufacturers for not making people aware of this major design flaw when they part with £30k / £40k for said modern blob but also at the suggestions from other owners to wrap keys in tinfoil at night to stop the signal LOL!   I do feel for these people though, not nice having your property stolen regardless of what it is.  I wonder if my insurance will go up despite my car falling well outside this keyless fuckety bodgery?

I bought a couple of Faraday pouches for two of my daughters for their keyless entry cars, only a fiver from eBay.