The grumpy thread

outlaw118

22 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Burst myself over a long, hot, sweaty weekend drylining a bedroom with insulated plasterboard, getting the ceiling primed with bluegrit, plus all the electrics and radiators removed and capped off ready for the plasterer to start work in the morning.

Got a call from him this afternoon to say he's hurt his back, so won't be able to come. Maybe later in the week. Maybe.

I guess the prep's now done and all - and I know back pain's a bit of a bastard - but hot damn, I really didn't need further delays to this project.

The flooring's arriving on Thursday; fuck knows where I'm going to put all that, as the garage is full of bathroom and the living room's full of bedroom.

Bad news. Plastering is a killer for the back, though. When I had my new build plastered back in July 2020 the plasterer told me he'd been off for a couple of weeks 3 times that year already. Luckily there weren't any back related incidents during the two weeks he was working for me.

Hope your man is there in a couple of days. 

14 hours ago, andyberg said:

Yes I agree. But it's mainly in the big cities. Our town is only about 8,000 people and is relatively rural despite being only about 5 miles from the outskirts of Guangzhou. And we will be in our 60s so we won't be breaking any laws, just bimbling about a bit 😁

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime". That was the boast of Beria, Stalin's secret police chief. China is still a totalitarian state, so if you upset the wrong people, even inadvertently.......

8 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Volvo 700/900 brakes. What an absolute shitshow of incompatible parts.

Well, I'm never too old to learn it seems :-) in addition:
Despite visually comparing the diameter/thickness of the actual discs I now know to check the dish/depth/offset too.
Start packing up before dark or get the head torch out.
Triple check part numbers cross references.
Never,ever,ever rely on the 'this part fits your vehicle' as the final check before you buy

And for that Schadenfreude moment:
image.thumb.png.7715d8f45c1485541a895265cb46ced3.png

11 hours ago, artdjones said:

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime". That was the boast of Beria, Stalin's secret police chief. China is still a totalitarian state, so if you upset the wrong people, even inadvertently.......

Yes, I go with my eyes wide open. The pluses far outweigh the negatives for me, but I will continue to do my research. One of the main pluses is we can live on my pension without having to worry and without needing to do any kind of paid work. 

Things can change in 10 years, but as it stands right now that's where we will be come retirement.

5 hours ago, andyberg said:

Yes, I go with my eyes wide open. The pluses far outweigh the negatives for me, but I will continue to do my research. One of the main pluses is we can live on my pension without having to worry and without needing to do any kind of paid work. 

Things can change in 10 years, but as it stands right now that's where we will be come retirement.

I have a mate out in Vietnam - he's been there maybe 8 years now and he says it's a lot like China in some respects - if you toe the line, stick to the places that Westerners hang out then all well and good. Start stirring shit or objecting to a new tax that they've brought in (or a big hike in right to remain visas) then you're out.
No ifs, no buts, no rights - out the country or in the clink.

5 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I have a mate out in Vietnam - he's been there maybe 8 years now and he says it's a lot like China in some respects - if you toe the line, stick to the places that Westerners hang out then all well and good. Start stirring shit or objecting to a new tax that they've brought in (or a big hike in right to remain visas) then you're out.
No ifs, no buts, no rights - out the country or in the clink.

I will be over 65, I have no intention of of objecting to anything, just want a quiet life. We will only be an hour away from Hong Kong and the family we have there. But as I say I will continue to research and keep my eyes open.

17 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Got a small grump.

Trying to sell Nova parts via FB.

Forgot how much of a chew on it is.

I've been put off selling bits and bobs because you just know the only person to show interest would be an utter cock end.

I will suffix that by saying the couple of transactions I've done on here went perfectly and at no point did I want to stab anyone.

On 9/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, richardmorris said:

Have let a message with the recommended pest controller. Looking with binoculars on the outside there are plenty of wasps coming and going in the corner of the roof. The thing is, it’s my wall they’re behind, but not getting to the inside through my bit of roof, can hear the buzzing and crackling noises behind the rectangular area, but loudest in circle.

IMG_0685.jpeg

For a minute there, I thought that was a ridiculously narrow door.

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

I will be over 65, I have no intention of of objecting to anything, just want a quiet life. We will only be an hour away from Hong Kong and the family we have there. But as I say I will continue to research and keep my eyes open.

Like most people who live elsewhere from their "home nation" and get along with the locals you know what is acceptable and what it totally stupid and just ignore opinions of people who don't live and don't have your experience when they tell you what to do.  A bit like wot I have just wrote.

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

For a minute there, I thought that was a ridiculously narrow door.

The pest controller recommended by landlords is coming in the morning- of course it’s now 15 degrees cooler and wasps seem to be asleep as it’s a lot quieter. Still humming away you can hear though.

I’m much of a live and let live to animals, but concerned about them getting inside. Plus being louder than last night of the proms was a serious concern !

Selling the Honda and Fazer on fb. Nil enquiries for the Fazer. One guy for the Honda... is it still fir sale? Yes it is. Whereabouts are you? Lincoln. Ok, no problem. How do you want to proceed? Reply... how much? As stated in the fucking advert you bollock. Am awaiting.... I'll give you 300 and get it at the weekend.

My response will be swift and brutal.

so i booked (a not cheap) flight and picking the seats took photos of the screen as booking so if they changed them or cocked about id have proof it was mine 

all through getting the time i want put deets they want in and bosh booked

read the confirmation email to check theyve got it all right and 

behold the out is the early choice which is not what id picked

i was not happy so went on the website to change it

yessir thatll be xxx

ok fair enuff (at this stage i thought it was my mistake) 

bear with me

tried to change it and pay for the correct time

message at the top we're sorry cannot for the time and date youve picked please pick another time

tried it twice and it wouldnt let me

fuckya - CANCEL YOU YA BASTARD

cancelled it then went to see if it would be a partial refund or complete

went onto their website and bot - but the little choices were cancel and change and some others - click the change and it comes up with if cancelled within 24 hours FULL REFUND

i look at the seat pic with the seat number and just above it it has the origin, destination and the time

which was the evening time like id asked for!!??!!?!!11one1!!! :D

why did it change between picking the seats and the payment????

no idea but im gonna find out tomorrow - if they argue i have evidence WITH the time on it :D

fuck sake

the flight i wanted to avoid will have to be booked as i now dont want to deal with this lot (and theyre not a fly by night jobbie - no pun intended)

min rant (sort of) over

thanks for watching

Went down to the car park earlier and the council have stuck an abandoned vehicle ticket on the Mazda.  Which isn't unexpected - it's been sat there for a while with no MOT or tax and it is a bit of an eyesore.  However the twats have also ticketed the Renault 4, which is taxed, insured and in regular use - I spent half the weekend fitting a new pissing driveshaft to it FFS.  I'm wondering whether it's because it doesn't have an MOT (because exempt), but then neither do the Renault 6 or the Visa, which were parked either side of the 4, and neither of those got a ticket.

14 hours ago, iainrcz said:

It's my birthday soon. The Mrs asked if I fancied anything particular.

I said a replica Jens-Martin Knudsen bobble hat.

Apparently I'm silly 😔

Over the years I've come to dread getting presents. They are never what you want. And they sit around forever reproaching you for lack of gratitude. 

If I give presents I try to make them something that will be used up almost immediately, probably by being eaten or drunk.

Booked Ma a flu jab on the superdrug website. Went there today, 1 flu jab plz.

We haven't got any vaccine, there's no pharmacist, and you haven't got an appointment.

~Shows email confirmation of appointment~

That's from the superdrug website, we don't use that. (??????????) Earliest we can offer is 10th October.

What a shower of shit. So now playing the check every chemist in 5 mile radius game. We're not stupid enough to go to her docs after last time. Let's invite half the town to come at the same time, jam them inside to form a super spreader event for the 2 hour wait while they come out one at a time shouting "Gerald Ratner? Anyone here called Gerald?"

On 9/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, richardmorris said:

Have let a message with the recommended pest controller. Looking with binoculars on the outside there are plenty of wasps coming and going in the corner of the roof. The thing is, it’s my wall they’re behind, but not getting to the inside through my bit of roof, can hear the buzzing and crackling noises behind the rectangular area, but loudest in circle.

IMG_0685.jpeg

Pest control have just been. Wasps definitely upset now!

DSC07717.jpeg

DSC07716.jpeg

DSC07715.jpeg

DSC07714.jpeg

DSC07713.jpeg

30 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Early morning, pissing down with rain

thought I'd be kind and drop my partner at work, only round the corner but I'll be nice

my kindness was rewarded

lots and lots of beeps

Citroen Gods do not like odd numbered dates when it's dark & raining - be fine tomorrow, honest.

22 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

The stars in my life have aligned in respect of the 'it's been up on blocks for 15 days waiting for parts' Volvo:
Correct discs ✔️
Correct pads ✔️
Dust shields ✔️
Flared pipe ✔️
Time available ✔️

But then 

Weather 
image.thumb.png.23c69cc55ebe374514fc6de10cd13b9f.png

FFS!

I actually managed to get the job done during a gap in the rain, imprudent test drive in the dark & pissing rain at 8pm didn't end in catastrophe either. Happy days.
Woke up at 5am realising that I have forgotten to clip up the O/S ABS wire - feckit, go look or more coffee? Coffee/AS wins