LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

On 13/02/2024 at 14:02, wesacosa said:

these were the other pictures he attached 

Screenshot_20240213_140142_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140140_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140135_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140127_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140125_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140122_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140121_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140111_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_140114_Chrome.jpg

in the photos you've posted it says its down the M6 but on the faceache add it's in Edinburgh? all the same photos.... ? tbh I'd be interested in the reliant half breed thing for the shits n the giggles n I don't live too far to go have a ganders either.

45 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/424554783269215/

"Argson 4 sail. Gr9 we runnr. Ideal 4 sum1 crippld in th gr8 war"

tis a Stanley Argson Victory funnily enough :) the model Stanley produced just after the war

originally registered as KPH30, but sadly in 1998 it was robbed of its plate and given GSJ265 as an age related plate, despite it being properly registered as an Invalid Carriage, and thus should never of been allowed to have been robbed of its plate

an invalid carriage is a vehicle not of an MOT Testable type, so thus is not a vehicle one can transfer a registration mark to, or from, same reason you cant rob a plate from a Milk float or a Tractor or Kiltox's Electric Kangoo, but sadly when it comes to Invalid Carriages, a lot of people including MOT testers and the DVLA incorrectly treat them as Tricycles when, by the letter of the law and the DVLA's own written rules they are not!, but I digress

its been bounced around a bit since then, last spotted on eBay back in 2014, and then much more recently it sold or at least was put up for auction, at an Auction in York or Yorkshire, and now its on Facebook market place

but my own DVLA grievances aside, it is fully DVLA alive, a good project for someone :) 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

What do we know about the engine it has?

im not 100% sure the fine details, sadly

it will be a Villiers of some sort

but the again when it comes to invalid carriages, thats like the colour of the sky, its always going to be blue, apart from some edge cases :mrgreen:

question i'd be wondering is does it run/what state is it in? £1500 is a little strong in my opinion, especially if they are not open to offers, but if it is a runner, then ya could do worse thats for sure!

6 hours ago, egg said:

125cc on DVLA - so yeah, assuming correct, probably an earlier Villiers.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

125cc is probably plenty in something that insubstantial.

Ill have to double check with Stuart but im pretty sure its a 147 cc engine in these, so just that bit more terrifying :) 

I think these things tend to be mostly gearing limited, topping out at around 25Mph-40Mph depending on exact configuration

I have always wanted to see someone drive one at speed, I bet it must be quite interesting, if you thought a Model 70's handle bars or Invacar's tiller bar looked sketchy

well you see that spade handle? yeah thats your steering...

426531228_24969895069293197_9047067053803465954_n.thumb.jpg.9982c208b2857e0a3b8b749d8d01b8c5.jpg

in General Invalid Carriage news, I finally found myself in the right headspace to put together a post and writeup response here

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/225941/1963-reselco-nelco-solocar

as per my response in there, 628EYK is quite interesting to me because not only is it a new survivor for the list but its a very close relative of a another Solocar thats known to survive

ffbd290c7dc1.thumb.jpg.be007fea61c90eed93c07f24697f7eb8.jpg

625EYK

373454345_24416349841285589_5906802492583180242_n.thumb.jpg.536d7ad571fbd915e2a42b7ffd1bdf8b.jpg

its always really quite fun when close relatives like this survive! especially for the likes of something like a Solocar, which generally was always a private machine

(there is rumblings the Ministry might of supplied Solocars for replacement of worn out Argsons, but nothing has been concretely proven there)

I also like the pair as they share a partial mark with RT1 EYK396 :) 

I hope my post will help encourage the owner to push forward to getting it back on the road once more :) 

On 12/02/2024 at 21:26, Jim Bergerac said:

I tend to use cameras in one to one meetings or if I am leading the meeting, a lot of the ones I have are for dozens of people where input isn't really required, Wednesday I've one which has about 100 people in it, no point everyone putting their camera on for that. 

I think it gets to the point where - if there are a certain number of people there - it’s immaterial whether your camera is on or not. But I still think it’s probably polite to turn on when addressing the team. But I guess you just have to follow what everyone else’s doing and find the accepted protocol. 

Anyone remember that COVID era video of the girl on a Zoom and her husband walked through shot complete ‘dick hanging’ ? 

4 minutes ago, Christine said:

...gunshot sound, doors slamming on the overground,

Starlings are tough , but the lions are made of stone... 

Ok ,mr d.j  who sung it ?  No googling ! 

Jings - that's an old one. My fourth year at Secondary School when we all bought magazines that had the lyrics in them (cos we couldn't afford the albums).
[edit] I'm not telling but I think it's v.obscure unless you were of that era

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

in General Invalid Carriage news, I finally found myself in the right headspace to put together and post a writeup response here

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/225941/1963-reselco-nelco-solocar

as per my response in there, 628EYK is quite interesting to me because not only is it a new survivor for the list but its a very close relative of a another Solocar thats known to survive

ffbd290c7dc1.thumb.jpg.be007fea61c90eed93c07f24697f7eb8.jpg

625EYK

373454345_24416349841285589_5906802492583180242_n.thumb.jpg.536d7ad571fbd915e2a42b7ffd1bdf8b.jpg

its always really quite fun when close relatives like this survive! especially for the likes of something like a Solocar, which generally was always a private machine

(there is rumblings the Ministry might of supplied Solocars for replacement of worn out Argsons, but nothing has been concretely proven there)

I also like the pair as they share a partial mark with RT1 EYK396 :) 

I am hope my post will help encourage the owner to push forward to getting it back on the road once more :) 

Good idea to post on there. I'd forgotten you were already on RR - just re-read the tall Metro thread where I put two and two together and pointed you back over there. I'm still impressed that you inadvertently solved the long running headscratcher!

24 minutes ago, Christine said:

...gunshot sound, doors slamming on the overground,

Starlings are tough , but the lions are made of stone... 

Ok ,mr d.j  who sung it ?  No googling ! 

You forget I’m a young whipper-snapper! 

I always loved bands who printed their lyrics on album sleeve notes, rather than me having to buy various magazines like Look-in or whatever. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Good idea to post on there. I'd forgotten you were already on RR - just re-read the tall Metro thread where I put two and two together and pointed you back over there. I'm still impressed that you inadvertently solved the long running headscratcher!

Yeah my Model 64 trailer* came from there, I figured at that point I would sign up, just to keep tabs on things so to speak, establish a presence so people know im there if they need help with their invalid vehicles needs :) 

(*can a TX4 be fitted with a tow bar?)

9 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I don't think so. Would have to check the VIN plate for a tow capacity . I'm sure I've seen FX4's with towbars though?

the most I could find on the matter was this, which is pretty inconclusive*

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/156853/taxi-towing-capacity

googling for a train weight or anything does bring anything up sadly, theres nothing in this brochure either

https://www.coventry.gov.uk/downloads/file/6540/london-taxi-tx4-euro-5-brochure

*although does make me wonder what the towing rules are for very old vehicles that just where never plated? say if I wanted to tow a small trailer behind REV or such :) 

(ie does the vehicle *have* to be plated for towing regardless of age, or is there an exemption/cut off date, but then I would have to ask what is the max towing/train weight allowed for those vehicles)

32 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the most I could find on the matter was this, which is pretty inconclusive*

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/156853/taxi-towing-capacity

googling for a train weight or anything does bring anything up sadly, theres nothing in this brochure either

https://www.coventry.gov.uk/downloads/file/6540/london-taxi-tx4-euro-5-brochure

*although does make me wonder what the towing rules are for very old vehicles that just where never plated? say if I wanted to tow a small trailer behind REV or such :) 

(ie does the vehicle *have* to be plated for towing regardless of age, or is there an exemption/cut off date, but then I would have to ask what is the max towing/train weight allowed for those vehicles)

Before European Type approval 94/20/EC - 1st August 1998, you can basically put a towbar on anything you want!

21 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Before European Type approval 94/20/EC - 1st August 1998, you can basically put a towbar on anything you want!

interesting, very interesting :) remind me what areas do you offer your tow bar fitting services in? :mrgreen: (I mean I have seen CB Radio and Cruise control sets specifically designed to fit the Model 70, so I guess a tow bar is not that far fetched LOL)

but what I am wondering now how does DVSA calculate what the max safe towing weight is for such older un-plated vehicles?

for example I am pretty sure @dollywobbler would get pulled if he went past a DVSA checkpoint towing his pop up camper with TWC his Invacar

js there some generic "gross weight of the trailer must not be more then the mass of the vehicle" rule or there some other way its worked out?