Show us your milk floats?

sierraman

What a quaint old fashioned idea ;

An electric zero emissions vehicle delivering a natural product in completely and easily recyclable packaging , delivered at a time it won't cause traffic congestion and sold to the consumer on a zero % credit deal.

If someone came up with this idea today the hipster green sandal weavers would wank themselves silly all over their hot desk meeting spaces.

Go into Central Manchester of a morning and you can see a few of these Smith Cabacs belonging to Creamline Dairies milling around, occasionally holding up rush hour traffic.

post-20075-0-29012400-1501086841_thumb.jpg

I wish my local dairy would buy some of these, at present they use an Iveco Daily with the world's loudest diesel engine under the bonnet, from half a mile away it's capable of vibrating the house like a passing train at 0500 in the morning.

What a quaint old fashioned idea ;

An electric zero emissions vehicle delivering a natural product in completely and easily recyclable packaging , delivered at a time it won't cause traffic congestion and sold to the consumer on a zero % credit deal.

If someone came up with this idea today the hipster green sandal weavers would wank themselves silly all over their hot desk meeting spaces.

Sadly, in common with most Hipster enterprises, the product is twice the price you pay in Asda.

We have a milkman but his float is a Transit these days. 

I was down mercrocker's neck of the woods a few years back and there was a dairy full of out-of-use electric floats. Ringwood I think?

B&B Dairies - they are still visible on Google Earth (158 Christchurch Road, Ringwood BH24 3AP) 

Must check if they are still there in actual Earth next time I pass! 

Can't recall the last time I saw one around my way.

The last one I saw in the flesh was when on a training course at a company that was located in Pinewood studios, they had several laying about presumably to cart shit about the site. 

I think milk floats have been done on here before... I seem to recall something about an antique looking trike on a P or something. The chassis are Forth Bridge & Smiths (or someone) refurbed a raft of them for A,,S,,Dairy, thinks, and they came out but re-registered.

mebbies  :?

TS

I nearly hit the local electric milkfloat at 5am one morning, he was driving around in the dark with what appeared to be a 1W bulb on each side. Must have been in "battery conservation" mode.

When I was a nipper the milkman managed to tip his float over outside the house on a corner. Less than silent.

Our milkman (Goodwins Dairy of Whitchurch RIP) had a knackered Sherpa. It was a rural area: we still had the old tall widemouthed milk bottles as late as the 1980s and even had the things the milk came out of looking over the hedge and mooing occasionally.

My grandparents on the other hand had "steri" delivered from a silent Express three-wheeled thing, both of which seemed unbelievably exotic and cosmopolitan to my infant yokel brain.

I think these...

http://briscoesdairy.co.uk/

...still have one or two. Locally though they were using a Transit last time I saw them. I actually put in for (and got offered) a job there about 18 years ago, it was sadly not quite enough money at the time though.

Sadly our local milko uses a Sprinter.... 

The last estate I lived on was still served by electrics, one of which used to come down to our flats at the bottom of a long cul-de-sac and the driver would reverse all the way back up, hanging out of the float facing backwards.   That dairy is now, predictably, a car-wash.  We also, up until the early 2000s, still used to have a bloke come round in a Morris LD with groceries and heating oil!

Growing up, we had a South Coast Dairies depot in the village with Wales & Edwards trikes.   This was served by a daily delivery by artic (Commer TS2s originally, then TKs) and I seem to recall there being a licence entitlement at 16 for the trikes - several lads from school went straight there as rounds-men. 

I miss the whine and clink of early morning electric float deliveries, although one nearly caused me a catastrophe on my Suzuki Invader when a sack of spuds flopped off the back of the float I was about to overtake (the Invader must have just had a tune-up....) and bounced all over the road.