Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

On 01/02/2023 at 10:33, BorniteIdentity said:

IMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.866362ab45a2f3b9a1161c4a680cdcee.jpeg

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.effd5081024ed3eb253406beaf337d51.jpeg

How’s the Mini doing? (I hope you don’t mind me asking). I was thinking about it recently while walking down the street it grew up on, odd turn of phrase for a car but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

Just now, rob88h said:

How’s the Mini doing? (I hope you don’t mind me asking). I was thinking about it recently while walking down the street it grew up on, odd turn of phrase for a car but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

Ha gosh. What a palaver. The guy hasn’t started it yet! I dropped it off a year ago. 

I’ve told him I need it for April (it’s May actually but I know he’ll still be late) but hopefully it’ll be back soon enough. 

Once the body work’s done, I just need to throw it at a garage and say “do mechanic things” so it works for spring / summer. It needs a bit of fettling but otherwise we should be good. 

Right, this is in the yard next door to where I work. A December 1982 build/registered Sierra!

IMG_8662.thumb.jpeg.1502df287c9fd11f7b14e03f3dc26506.jpeg

For spares, engine and box have been removed. The rest of it is there apart from the O/S rear lamp as far as I can see. Reg is JDY 573Y for all the car check guys out there. Last taxed 1997. 

2 hours ago, greengartside said:

Right, this is in the yard next door to where I work. A December 1982 build/registered Sierra!

IMG_8662.thumb.jpeg.1502df287c9fd11f7b14e03f3dc26506.jpeg

For spares, engine and box have been removed. The rest of it is there apart from the O/S rear lamp as far as I can see. Reg is JDY 573Y for all the car check guys out there. Last taxed 1997. 

PHWOAR.  A rare 1982 only colour - @Shite Ronwill know the hue but it was a Cortina hue IIRC.

It'll have a brown interior I reckon, but if there's any dialogue possible I wouldn't mind a few bits.  Coolant header tank/parcel shelf etc would be useful to start with.  No worries if not

8 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

PHWOAR.  A rare 1982 only colour - @Shite Ronwill know the hue but it was a Cortina hue IIRC.

The colour is Pine green, it was a 1982 colour but not used on the Cortina, some of the new Sierra colours were used on Crusader models only but Pine green was not one of them.

Colours on Crusader only used for Sierra’s were Polar Grey and Rio Brown.

5 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

The colour is Pine green, it was a 1982 colour but not used on the Cortina, some of the new Sierra colours were used on Crusader models only but Pine green was not one of them.

What was the Cortina dark green called? My Dad had a 1982 Mk5 (2.3GL estate) in dark green, metallic.

4 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

What was the Cortina dark green called? My Dad had a 1982 Mk5 (2.3GL estate) in dark green, metallic.

Forest Green, there were two 2.3 Ghia saloons near where I lived when I was young in Forest green. 2.3’s were quite rare especially GL estates, I used to prefer Crystal green but Forest green looks great, your Dad’s car would have looked fantastic.

If you are speaking about the blank which goes over where the switches go I think I have one in the garage somewhere. I will have a look. I certainly used to have two as I put two switches in my Sierra from a high trim level car to run a hidden starter switch and a fan override. Cant imagine I binned them but its just where they ended up in the 15 years and 3 house moves since !

29 minutes ago, riek said:

Love the pine green Sierra. My acrossways neighbour had one when I was 6 and I often wondered why I never really saw another, a one-year colour would explain it.

@wesacosa "i dont know where it is, it's been 15 years and 3 house moves" to "found" in 6 minutes is peak autoshite.

Ha, yet the stuff I put in a "safe place" last week seems to disappear into thin air

On 12/02/2024 at 21:38, Shite Ron said:

Thank you! I always thought there was a Crusader available in grey but was told I was wrong.

I used to walk past a 1.6L Auto Y reg Sierra in that green on the way home from school from 1983.

59 minutes ago, greengartside said:

Also noticed that the scrap Sierra should have had the dangly mirrors when it was new. Sadly no longer on the car

The mirrors certainly aren't original because they would have been grey.

Whether it had dangly mirrors originally depends on the trim level.  Body colour slatted grille (if original) makes it an L (dangly mirrors) or GL (non-dangly mirrors).

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Whether it had dangly mirrors originally depends on the trim level.  Body colour slatted grille (if original) makes it an L (dangly mirrors) or GL (non-dangly mirrors).

Could that be on british built cars only? I’m pretty sure my (german built) 1983 Sierra 2,0 L had non-dangly mirrors.

On 14/02/2024 at 00:49, adw1977 said:

Nicked from an Ebay listing:

Screenshot_20240214_004726_eBay.thumb.jpg.09059573deac70075998eb178cb81343.jpg

That reminds me I once had a rental Crusader estate 1.6 in brown long after the Sierra launch and I was surprised how nice it was, I think I preferred it to Sierras I’d had previously . Probably because early Sierra L s were a bit Spartan and cold inside.