End of a dry spell/ Noo shite !

Barry Cade

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw one of these in the UK about 10 years ago. Turns out these were surprisingly popular in Japan, and even more surprisingly a large number of them made it from there to the UK. You'd expect them to be ultra obscure niche vehicles outside the states, not the case. The larger G Van based conversion vans are $$$ in Germany nowadays.

3 hours ago, Schaefft said:

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw one of these in the UK about 10 years ago. Turns out these were surprisingly popular in Japan, and even more surprisingly a large number of them made it from there to the UK. You'd expect them to be ultra obscure niche vehicles outside the states, not the case. The larger G Van based conversion vans are $$$ in Germany nowadays.

Mine has a Jap chassis number and is pretty much mint underneath. I passed a big scrapyard full of day vans in Germany, between Poland and Berlin.. wish I could remember where! 

I reckon on 16-18 mpg, AWD costs a few miles per gallon. Spares are stupid cheap from Rock Auto. The engine is basically a 350 V8 with 2 cylinders chopped  off, so as complicated as a sundial. 

Didji dash too 😃

20230717_221211.jpg

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

Mine has a Jap chassis number and is pretty much mint underneath. I passed a big scrapyard full of day vans in Germany, between Poland and Berlin.. wish I could remember where! 

I reckon on 16-18 mpg, AWD costs a few miles per gallon. Spares are stupid cheap from Rock Auto. The engine is basically a 350 V8 with 2 cylinders chopped  off, so as complicated as a sundial. 

Didji dash too 😃

20230717_221211.jpg

There's a huge US car breaker south of Berlin, might be them. I bought the ignition switch linkage for my Caprice there, it was insanely expensive and didn't fit in the end. Was from a GMC G20 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming together,, been through all the electrics, separated the rear from the front and put in a split charge to save a flat main battery. Re varnished some of the wood. Sorted all the non working lights and all the switches, then loomed everything up. Starcraft were pretty lax when it came to quality! Had a peek at the mechanicals and underside and its in flippin good nick for a 1993 van.  Need a spacesaver and rear door carrier if anyone sees anything!

20230729_151604.jpg

20230729_151545.jpg

20230729_151533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday with the van up on stands greasing all the nipples. There are loads! Plastic leaf springs too, just like a corvette. Some adaptors cobbled together and the aircon recharged with propane/butane and it spung into life, ice cold too. Disconnected the rear aircon as not really required in Scotland. Had our first overnight in it at the weekend and it's great, Roscoe approved..

20230805_224303.jpg