That 50 grand Mini

cort16

XJ40 and X300. Pointless cash and carry bottom rung golf club membership pub landlord shite AFAIC. 

:-D

Good rant - 9/10.

I'm with you every post Shadow Rolls and Bentley including the current Alan Sugar wank chariots. Especially dislike the Spirit, an upmarket Cortina. The Continental though.......

Cars for the more money than functioning braincells type, those rear lights on that Mini, someone should be shot in the cock for them, hideous, Johnathan Ward is also responsible in the US for heaps of shit suddenly being worth a fortune, he's even pissed about with old Rolls Royces, he clearly knows that the richer people often are, the more stupid they are, and they fall for whatever bullshit he tells them in his quest to perform open wallet surgery on them

Another quality rant :)

I can't stand R-Rs and Bentleys from that era, sorry. 

See also: XJ40 and X300. Pointless cash and carry bottom rung golf club membership pub landlord shite AFAIC. Views of Autoshite may differ. 

Still can't forgive work's for trying to run me over when it was in park. I'll give that AJ16 some credit mind, I thrashed it senseless afterwards and it still ran the following day. They do excellent burn outs. Gearbox still shifted after I revved it to valve bounce and slammed it into drive from neutral, too. Fuck that Jag. 

XJ40s are fine gearbox doners for P6V8s, though.

:-D

Good rant - 9/10.

I'm with you every post Shadow Rolls and Bentley including the current Alan Sugar wank chariots. Especially dislike the Spirit, an upmarket Cortina. The Continental though.......

Sorry man - had the runs for the past three days and it's getting on my nerves. 

It's worth a look at one of those horrendous Speedback things in real life if you can, just to fully appreciate the rusty exposed Philips head screws holding the various bits of wobbly trim together in the grand British kit car tradition. I think they'd be less offensive if they were not posited as some sort of homage to the days of handbuilt luxury GT cars, rather than being about two rungs up from something Banham would have churned out 15 years ago.

...just to fully appreciate the rusty exposed Philips head screws holding the various bits of wobbly trim together in the grand British kit car tradition.

*Slight OT*

All the trim on ToMM© is secured by S/Steel cross heads. Smiling out in factory spic n span glory from mudflaps & wheelarch liners ;)

Savvy was [@9] err.... We will say 'non removable'.

TS

S'okay, don't worry about it. You're still totaly rong about the '91 Connie though.

And X300's. The XJ40 was like a Coventry built 1978 Caprice but a 300 Sport in that metallic turquoise is a stunna.

Apart from XJ40s and X300s being tragic heaps with no rear room, no boot space, a shit interior (OMG! A WORKING CLOCK) and horrifically over complicated rear suspension, they're brilliant. 

People like them. I don't. I don't see a champagne taste lemonade money victory in most cheap old Jags; I just see a fucked old Jag on its last owner before an appallingly punctuated eBay listing (or an ironically hilarious track day hydraulic death explosion) beckons. 

Like most R-Rs and Bentleys, most of the ones left are tarted up dealer dirge buckets with every attention paid to mark up and nothing paid to suspension bushes and decent tyres. And I still haven't driven an R-R or Bentley with a properly shimmed steering box that didn't drive like it was pissed. Don't understand those, either. Wedding fail. 

That ICON company also do a derelict series of 50's and 60's cars, which have the do-not-paint original exterior but have re-done interiors and modern LS running gear.

1950_Buick_Roadmaster_Convertible_ICON_D

1950_Buick_Roadmaster_Convertible_ICON_F

1950_Buick_Roadmaster_Convertible_ICON_D

So is this the automotive equivalent of those wank £5k Fender Custom Shop relic jobs made for rich baby boomers to hang on their wall?

It's worth a look at one of those horrendous Speedback things in real life if you can,

post-4819-0-38443300-1492450801_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-85423100-1492450716_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-03353200-1492450876_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-60542900-1492450935_thumb.jpg

He's right, you know. I was agog when I encountered this at Goodwood, particularly as there were a good few actual DB5/6s in attendance, together with a lot of very moneyed marque devotees.

I know that this is supposed to be 'influenced' by the DB5/6 and not a slavish reproduction, but if that were the case, why not give up when it became apparent that the proportions were entirely wrong before festooning it with kitsch, low-rent repro details that turn it into a rolling pastiche?

It looks just like one of those Chinese market clones that, like totally acknowledged Western designs and in no way rips them off. Or, as NotDugong says, one of Mitsuoka's less witty creations.

The point I'm not getting is thus.

If you dislike a car that much, that you require it modified to the extent those Minises are

until it takes your fancy, then why would you spend any money at all on it, let alone 50 grand?

Why don't you take the money and just buy a car you like as it is, without any mods?

Absolutely agreed. However, there seems to be a growing market of 'nouveau riche types who require thier cars/mobile phones/clothes to be "one offs/rare/one of a kind" etc... so it can be boasted about to friends/shown on reality TV and so on.

As Richardthestag alluded to, someone has found a way of making and marketing a pile of BL scrap (I'm not a BL Mini hater by the way) retrofitting some new technology in, marketing them to certain demographic and thus chucking them out at £50k a piece.

The Aston/Jag thing is Ok, I quite like its look but I can't help feeling it'd be snapped up by arrogant self-absobed self-made millionaires or massively in debt wannabe rich people.

well fucking done to them I say, they found a market of wealthy folk who are happy to be liberated from their money.

Job done

Me? sorry but nah

Not a bad way to make a few quid if you can get away with it. The yanks lap this shit up its the same with Land Rovers. 

The mini is alright especially compared to the tat you see at some shows. We went to Lincoln yesterday and there was a Mini show on the waterfront, a couple of real nice un-monged examples for sale at around £4000 including a minty Thirty limited edition restored to original spec. I'd rather have that, it was ace. 

So is this the automotive equivalent of those wank £5k Fender Custom Shop relic jobs made for rich baby boomers to hang on their wall?

Not quite, the exterior is lacquered over original do not paint,  paint not fake painted on rust as per pineappled VW's.

I quite like them, they cost about $300,000 though, which makes them a rich persons toy.

There's a guy over on retro rides who has created a cottage industry putting old international harvester pickup bodies on 90's hemi powered dodge durango's.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/184293/1953-international-hemi-build-thread

Not quite, the exterior is lacquered over original do not paint, paint not fake painted on rust as per pineappled VW's.

I quite like them, they cost about $300,000 though, which makes them a rich persons toy.

There's a guy over on retro rides who has created a cottage industry putting old international harvester pickup bodies on 90's hemi powered dodge durango's.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/184293/1953-international-hemi-build-thread

If I wanted an ancient pickup I'd want all the ancient bits underneath it too other wise what's the point?

Oh I get, I'm not their market.

The Mini is only mildly offensive, but that Mitsouka Unipower GT pastiche is disgusting.

To put it into perspective;

Take one of thesepost-17414-0-50653800-1492493144_thumb.jpeg

Then give £400,000 to some cunts who once saw one of these, in the dark, just after watching an old James Bond film whilst pissed.

post-17414-0-06415600-1492493338_thumb.jpeg

They employed the bloke who designed * this faithful replica of a Bentley Continental GT

post-17414-0-86520400-1492493438_thumb.jpeg

Or you could invest £500k on a little flat complete with the running costs for a few months of this

post-17414-0-41903000-1492493797_thumb.jpeg

Apart from XJ40s and X300s being tragic heaps with no rear room, no boot space, a shit interior (OMG! A WORKING CLOCK) and horrifically over complicated rear suspension, they're brilliant. 

That's why I still have my E32 really, nearly 30 years old, 280'000 miles, original brake pipes, never welded. XJ40's were trouble when they were new with the stupid electrics, Maestro column stalks and the self-shagging differential. Pretty car as an oblong light Sovereign or Daimler in black with oxblood, but I can still recall the crushing disappointment when it came out to replace the Series III - another poorly made rust bucket, but at least it looked nice.

I laugh when it's said that 'XJ40's are on the way up'. It was the car that effectively sank Jaguar with  monstrous warranty levels and they weren't well loved when new. They'll become another Mark 10, something rare to point at at Jag events.

The one to have will be the 3.2 or 4.0 Sport X300 in that turquoise as well as the original six cylinder XJ-R.

On Rolls stuff - Continentals thankfully didn't fall into the Wedding Banger £4995 bracket.

Not a bad way to make a few quid if you can get away with it. The yanks lap this shit up its the same with Land Rovers. 

The mini is alright especially compared to the tat you see at some shows. We went to Lincoln yesterday and there was a Mini show on the waterfront, a couple of real nice un-monged examples for sale at around £4000 including a minty Thirty limited edition restored to original spec. I'd rather have that, it was ace. 

That's just it. We're so conditioned to seeing utterly ruined Minis, inevitably based on some 1993 Sprite with 3 layers of oversills (so never a good car anyway) that a proper one comes as a rare treat. I found with Minis that the more money spent on the engine, the more utterly hateful it was. A standard seventies Mini 1000 on 10 inch wheels, big steering wheel and that fantastic centre 'oval' instrument binnacle, twin leading shoe drums and the 3.44 diff is a delight to punt around. But they've all gone or been monged up by Mini Scene Twats.