New shite arrived/ Contains Princess Weldathon

Dippy

Seeing as I have just started a 5 year restoration I thought I would buy another car and add to my workload.
So after a quick 160 mile dash last night to see the car and a deal struck with the seller delivering the car this arrived today

post-17756-0-28099600-1429982843_thumb.jpg

The plan is to turn it into a daily driver to run along with my Victor.

I think this is the only place apart from owners clubs where the Princess is so loved.

I will get some more photos if I go to do some work on it today, the first job is to get it running as although the engine is free it has not been started for a few years! So I'm taking it easy and put a little diesel down the bores yesterday and I will change the oil before trying to start it with some fresh fuel.

If it runs ok with no major engine or gearbox work then the tatty bodywork will need sorting needs at least 1 wing and I got a good second hand wing in the deal as these are hard to come by and needs 1 rear outer arch repair.

The bottom couple of inches of all the doors need repairing. The outer sills will be replaced so I can see what's underneath them although they could be patched and it appears to only need a small amount of welding underneath.

The interior is in great shape and poo brown colour velour so that was a big selling point to me along with the Sandglow paint what a combination.

It's also a 2200 HLS with auto box so will be better on long journeys than the Victor and Im a big fan of auto gearboxes so it will be a break from the manual in the Victor.

• 2 months later...

Went searching for this after you mentioned it in the Breadvan Dolly fixing capers Jag/SD1 thread, and was magnificently rewarded with the above.  I want to move into that interior.

Any news on getting it running?

Skizzer

Good news is it has run and been briefly driven around the car park, after a carb rebuild a new fuel pump and running a file over the points m

Bad news is inlet/exhaust manifold is cracked and as of yet I have not sourced one, but hopefully found one although yet to be confirmed.

So between waiting for parts a holiday and plenty of welding on my other project not a lot has happened recently.

I don't give up on things though so it's just a matter of finding the time.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but some good news is I've finally got a good manifold and sorted out the overflow on those stupid HIF carbs. Even after a rebuild with new bits and float levels set they still overflowed so a second strip and setting of floats today has sorted this out.

It now runs ok so next is an ignition refresh, points, condensor, cap, rotor, leads etc and then it's outside for a steam clean and flushing of the coolant system before fresh antifreeze and a new set of hoses.

Fantastic choice of period motors you have - a man of impeccable taste. If I bought a Princess I would aim for a 2200 auto. What model of Victor do you have ? Good luck getting the Princess fully on the road.

The Vauxhall is a 2300s and is über reliable and used everyday. The Princess will share daily duties when ready as although reliable parts for both can be an issue so it's good to have a spare car especially as it looks like the wife may get an older car to in the future.

• 4 months later...

Well after many months of doing nothing I have finally got this project started properly.

First was a partial strip down so we could see the full extent of the rot and start making repairs

The passenger floor needs some minor work but not too bad.

post-17756-0-18859300-1452060957_thumb.jpeg

The drivers side front footwell much worse

post-17756-0-55128400-1452061063_thumb.jpeg

The rear was just as bad but now with shines with new metal fitted, I was really pleased that we managed to replicate the original pressing it's more work but looks so much better than a flat patch.

post-17756-0-21379100-1452061127_thumb.jpeg

How have I not seen this before! Apart from the auto box that is the PERFECT spec for a Princess to me. Somehow they just look so good in sandglow with a vinyl roof and a brown velour interior.

The rot in the rear floor corners is usual, how was the subframe mount or whatever it is underneath that section looking?

I cannot take the credit for most of that work that would go to my good friend and professional welder Geoff, he does come to me to do the work though so I get to help and learn a little whilst with him.

I did make and fit the section at the bottom of the photo before he arrived and at my speed this car would take forever but I like to have a bit of a go.

The subframe mount area was pretty good and I had lifted the car on it, it did need some minor repairs but Geoff said it was easier to just cut it off and make a new one.