Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD April meeting Postponed due to all the rain, I will announce a May alternative.

Morris 1300 Update

Kempston Radiators found my original matrix was blocked solid so they unsoldered the bottom tank cleaned it all out, refitted the tank, pressure tested it and declare it fixed. Now I have lost my place in the queue at my favourite garage for getting it refitted so it is going to be at least a week.

IMG_20240405_153436 broad.jpg

On 03/04/2024 at 18:43, Zelandeth said:

It's a small world sometimes isn't it!

It certainly is, but I suppose the classic car community around here isn't particularly large.

That Merc was taken to its resting place by a Sherpa spec lift that ended up in the same stash - possibly the last job it did before it was laid up. I remember it in use with the local Rover (later Ford) dealer but hadn't seen it for years and didn't realise it still existed. The good news is it's now been bought by someone who worked on it when he did his apprenticeship at that garage and wants to restore it to original condition.

This afternoon Colin came round to work on his Mercedes 450SLC.

He jacked it up and removed the front wheels as he has new tyres to have fitted. 

The big one was trying to start it. We had established previously it was not locked up but could not hear any noise from from the fuel pump. We checked for a spark and that was good so we just sprayed a bit of easy start and the engine came to life smoothly. We called that a win!

Feeling very pleased at the progress he celebrated by cleaning some chrome!

Next is to get the fuel pump and lines sorted.

Also while there is little rust there are a few bits of body that need rubbing down and rust protecting. 

IMG_20240406_155011 broad.jpg

IMG_20240406_152633 broad.jpg

Then we turned our attention to the Vauxhall Royale. The aim was to get the HT leads fitted and get it started.

We were not doing very well so we called for reinforcements in the form of @ianbmw a Monza owner.

The engine turns over nicely but while we have power to the coil we have not got a spark at the points.

More thought has to be given before we tackle it again.

IMG_20240406_122430 broad.jpg

IMG_20240406_163051 broad.jpg

IMG_20240406_175826 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I know it was wrong but peer pressure is hard to resist!

The Past!

The Dream!

The Reality!

Mrs6C said don’t do it, but I gave into peer pressure and bought a black 1984 Austin Mini Mayfair.

The trouble is that it is a project that needs a lot of welding and as yet I have no idea if the engine and gearbox are any good. As it has not been on the road for 24 years I have to assume the brakes and exhaust will need attention and the interior has been exposed to the weather.

Yes this car is a full restoration project and I said no more projects. If you can spare a few working brain cells please put them in a jam jar and send them to me!

Now what, first off is to see if I can get it started which I am looking forward too.

IMG_20240411_165429 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_181524 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_181440 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_173402 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_173429 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_193511 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_173518 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_180652 broad.jpg

IMG_20240411_193647 broad.jpg

1 minute ago, beko1987 said:

Oh it looks lovely*. Forgive me if I pass on sitting in it when we clean it out and assess it/you have a little cry 

I have had a peak under those seat covers and I am hopeful the luxury Mayfair Raschelle upholstery can be saved.

The headlining needs antibac as well.

I need to get the seats out as soon as possible as there is no drivers door and side window. They will have to come out for the welding anyway.

I will be following with interest, I am starting to really want a proper Mini on 10” wheels and that looks like what is probably  in my price range. Great to see progress on the Royale too, another interesting car and yours is in the best colour too. One day I hope I can attend a FOD event.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have had a peak under those seat covers and I am hopeful the luxury Mayfair Raschelle upholstery can be saved.

The headlining needs antibac as well.

I need to get the seats out as soon as possible as there is no drivers door and side window. They will have to come out for the welding anyway.

Oooh that's good then, would it be worth removing it all, cleaning and putting it in the container? 

Would the bolts even need undoing it would Charlie just be able to lift the seats out runners and all😂

As an utter Mini licker this looks like my idea of fun!

The front end looks pretty solid despite the colander in the rear. I would put money on the scuttle closing panels being non-existent despite the solid scuttle though. Looks like its going to need the waist rail as well as the rear quarter panel on the passenger side.

M-Machine in Darlington is a great source for panels. Good prices and good quality panels http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/

Id be happy to tinker at a FoD event!