Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Is this the worst car I have ever bought!

Six-cylinder

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

@Talbot has been looking into them and thinks Australian headlights will need a grill to match. I am happy to do that partially as my grill is broken anyway and as soon as we can find good useable parts I am ready to buy them.

It would surprise me if that was the case as the estates were all built in Australia, so in theory the headlamps should be the same.
This may also explain the build date/registration date confusion as it may have been some time between the car being built in Australia and it being shipped to the UK for sale. Being a presumably expensive when new car, given the trim level, that was only imported in small numbers making it very rare from new would explain it sitting in the dealership for some time before being sold.

If you are looking at getting a replacement grill, there are 4 different designs.

Magna TR

image.jpeg.7770bd2bfd231aea28b72aac39c8e899.jpeg

Magna TS

image.jpeg.679cb8c5b29ee9993ba0546f4dc50fc4.jpeg

Verada KR

image.jpeg.d99dd08a4a1674f88fc6c83cbb93ad7e.jpeg

Verada KS

image.thumb.jpeg.2ed7a5451475f50736d9cdf901b6f5a8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This is how it looked until the grill was removed broken.

I like the Magna TS. I wonder is Verada KS lights would fit and not have the same corrosion problems?

I just need a grill that fits with which ever lights I get.

@MorrisItalSLX

Sigma 48495854306_b08843dceb_c broad.jpg

All the light/grill combinations should be cross compatible.

Magna TS grill with Verada KS lights would be my combination too.

I agreed to let the Rolls Royce be used for a filming project, I am not really sure what its all about but today started with me having to rescue the guy when he run out of petrol in his Mini on the way to me.

The front camear was to film the radiator fins opening when it got hot.

IMG_20230913_114507 broad.jpg

IMG_20230913_134613 broad.jpg

IMG_20230913_124851 broad.jpg

The afternoon would have gone better if I had not forgoten the keys to the cars I wanted to start up!

The plan was to add brake fluid to the 404 and try the brakes again. Fluid added but no test.

The Sigma had no power in the battery so @Slowsilver changed it but could not check it started.

The Carlton Estate is now ready to take for MOT and I wanted to fit a new themostat and make sure it starts easily. Not only did I forget the key but also to fit the thermostat.

My freind Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic Car Club came round and did a bit more to tidy the bodywork on the Royale this evening.

IMG_20230913_172518 broad.jpg

IMG_20230913_181823 broad.jpg

This afternoon was more car stuff with @Slowsilver

The score was!

We moved the Saab 95 by towing/pushing it. It fought us by not being able to find neutral on the column change.

The Error 404 was a success. Looking more closely at the brake reservoir I found the fluid level was just below minimum. I looked at the level when I first got the car and the brakes have always very poor to the level I stopped driving it as I felt the brakes were not good enough. I am not sure if it has lost a reservoir of fluid or I miss read the level originally.

The good news is I topped the 404 fluid up and the brakes seem much improved, it always had a hard pedal. Tomorrow I will road test it properly.

We charged the battery on the Mitsubishi Sigma and today I remembered the key. It started easily but after a lap of the FoD it would not idle. The petrol gauge said it was very low and we adding more petrol, bingo it idled again!

We fitted a new thermostat and housing to the Carlton Estate and put antifreeze in it ready to take for MOT and then it would not start. So that was a fail!

The last car of the day was the Royale which we fitted the coil to. Still some more ignition parts to fit another day.

IMG_20230914_144504 broad.jpg

IMG_20230914_150311 broad.jpg

IMG_20230914_174817 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - A dash to get things fixed before winter sets in.
4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This morning was a non car day so I just started the day by changing the Rover 110 for my Error 404.

It's 1963 which would you buy!

IMG_20230915_094400 broad.jpg

Of those two, the 404. But I’d probably be a flash git and get a Vauxhall VX4/90 or something, to impress the ladies down the local Top Rank dance hall. 

Twin carbs and a chrome spear down the side, what could be better? 

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

This morning was a non car day so I just started the day by changing the Rover 110 for my Error 404.

It's 1963 which would you buy!

IMG_20230915_094400 broad.jpg

Oooh tough choice! but since I have had a pootle in the the 404, it would only be fair that I would have a pootle in the P4 before I made a choice  :) 

my main deciding factor would be comfort and easy of drivability , the 404 I found was very comfortable indeed and surprisingly easy to drive/light on the controls, however I know the P4 is *specifically* designed around comfort so i'd be especially interested in knowing how it compares

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oooh tough choice! but since I have had a pootle in the the 404, it would only be fair that I would have a pootle in the P4 before I made a choice  :) 

my main deciding factor would be comfort and easy of drivability , the 404 I found was very comfortable indeed and surprisingly easy to drive/light on the controls, however I know the P4 is *specifically* designed around comfort so i'd be especially interested in knowing how it compares

I think I would choice the Peugeot new.

Today I am in the privileged position to be able to drive either car at will and have done around 100 miles in each.

The front seat is a long bench in the 110 and has no sideways support while the 404's individual seats holds you a bit. Both cars are a stretch for the hand brakes. The gear change is good on the Rover, but I quite like the column change on the Peugeot. Both give adequate performance for most current road condition, on paper the Rover is quicker with its 2.6 Ltr 115bhp compared to 1.6 Ltr 72bhp (0-60mph Rover 15.9 secs, Peugeot 18.4 secs) in practice they feel the same, a bit slow but ok.

The worst bit is they both lack power steering and while the 404 is tolerable as it only weighs 1070kg the Rover is a heavy car at 1517kg and for me the steering spoils driving it. Not only is it heavy but also has low geared steering so you have to turn the wheel more for a mini roundabout or road junction than is expected.

The looks is very personal, but the Peugeot wins hand down for me.

For @LightBulbFun I think either car would be hard work where you live and while the 404 would be the easier of the two I would look for alternatives with Power steering.

IMG_20221122_144337 broad.jpg

IMG_20230525_164632.jpg.56b6cf7a1156290c5e111d0b8c68a565 broard.jpg

I think I'd go Peugeot as it just seems more modern all round, like it's a generation on from the Rover. It's interesting how the P4 was revolutionary and avant-garde in 1949 yet within a decade it had already started to look stodgy and old-fashioned, and it must have seemed ancient when the P6 was available at the same time.

The really interesting comparison and I suspect a much harder choice would be Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford vs Peugeot 404. An awful lot of similarities there so which did it better?

11 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

The really interesting comparison and I suspect a much harder choice would be Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford vs Peugeot 404. An awful lot of similarities there so which did it better?

I agree that would be a very intresting comparison, anybody want to lend me an A60 Cambridge!

There was a huge price gap between the A60 and 404.  The A60 was £838 and the 404 £1076.  £238 seperated them, the Peugeot was 28% more expensive.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Live Breakdown!