Shitting in the shallow end. *A2 Bronken*

Jim Bell

3 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Evening gents. 

Just back home safe. 

What an odd car buying experience. The seller was very nice but didn't really seem to know the craic with the the car despite "doing most of the work himself", which quickly changed to "the last owner actually done the work, and there's no reciepts".

Fair enough, the listing never said there was so I looked at it with my eyes, drove it at length, then made a decision on buying it. 

The crack with the clutch was that "ages ago after a 200 mile drive the clutch went to the floor twice but it's never done it again since. And the garage said they'd fixed it."

So literally, fuck knows. Good on him for mentioning it at all. Clutch seems to work fine, we took it out for an hour and he said "don't pay for eeet til yer happy wee eet"

So I punted it round rural Yorkshire and it seemed right enough. 

Chipped him down a bit on a few things and ended up with enough off that it made sense (to me) to just roll the dice and steal the rice. 

fucking awesome

went for a gypsy when this popped up at the top of my list and good jobby too

well bought

FFFFlood Damaged, have they not had a lot of rain up there in those Yorkshire ?

had to have all the carpets out of my Dad's car once, someone drove fast through some 'not mega that deep' flood water and bow waved him.  He said ' I looked down to my swede shoes and they were swimming in the footwell in muddy water'

12 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

FFFFlood Damaged, have they not had a lot of rain up there in those Yorkshire ?

had to have all the carpets out of my Dad's car once, someone drove fast through some 'not mega that deep' flood water and bow waved him.  He said ' I looked down to my swede shoes and they were swimming in the footwell in muddy water'

Well it's been up on eBay 3 times over the last 4 weeks and he lived up a big hill, so I think I'm safe from flood damage. It's dirty, but not flood dirty. 

30 minutes ago, skattrd said:

Did we get the 0-60 yet? If not I guess 7.2, slower than slk. 

Not done yet but will. 

I was hoping the Bini would match the SLKs best time but thinking about it, ones a 2.3 and the other is a 1.6. Is that a fair expectation?

Be interesting to see how the Cooper does though. 

Not done yet but will. 
I was hoping the Bini would match the SLKs best time but thinking about it, ones a 2.3 and the other is a 1.6. Is that a fair expectation?
Be interesting to see how the Cooper does though. 
Once upon a time, I'm gonna say about 2007, I had less children and more cars.

The number of children at that point was in fact zero, and some of the cars were BMWs.

I liked BMWs so being as I had no children or other reasons not to do stuff I took one of mine to the BMW show at Santa Pod.

They had the old drag strip going and I seem to recall that of all the various M stuff and engine swapped E30s the fastest times on the day were all BINIs.

I can't confirm whether the fastest BINIs had back seats or carpets, I imagine not as eny fule kno such things mess with the seriousness of your racecar business.

For @Lacquer Peel (and me. And everyone else). 

So on greasy roads, with shit tyres, the results for the Bini power run are quite disappointing, but logical. 

I was comparing it with the SLK, which is a 2.3, with a great auto box and new great tyres. 

The Bini is a 1.6 with a manual box, and deadly tyres. It's obviously gonna be a bit slower. 

The best 0-60mph I got out of the SLK (1455kg) was 6.48 as below. 

Screenshot_20191111_132407.thumb.jpg.47517ff4ad2f82feb61fb20db7b815f2.jpg

The best 0-60 mph I got out of Cooper S (1240kg) is 7.43 as below :

Screenshot_20191111_122929_com.unnull_apps.carperformancefree.thumb.jpg.9d929be86a36b6f84bdf4a8326987a50.jpg 

Even with great tyres and a dry road and practice, I don't think I'll pic up a second. 

Still, though I'm a bit disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

For @Lacquer Peel (and me. And everyone else). 

So on greasy roads, with shit tyres, the results for the Bini power run are quite disappointing, but logical. 

I was comparing it with the SLK, which is a 2.3, with a great auto box and new great tyres. 

The Bini is a 1.6 with a manual box, and deadly tyres. It's obviously gonna be a bit slower. 

The best 0-60mph I got out of the SLK (1455kg) was 6.48 as below.

The best 0-60 mph I got out of Cooper S (1240kg) is 7.43 as below :

Even with great tyres and a dry road and practice, I don't think I'll pic up a second.

Still, though I'm a bit disappointed. 

It's ok M9, I'll walk;)

It's the little design touches that make a great car. Some people might think it would be limiting or impractical to run a (really not a) race car as a daily and only means of transportation but BMW added key features to help with the drudgeries of everyday life. 

Worried about your shopping rolling all over the car?

Fear not! BMW have included several SHOPPING RETAINING HOOKS around the load area so that you can rest assured your tangerines will go unjossled.

IMG_20191112_114056.thumb.jpg.904eb8d0b01db39bbe238022e5be8088.jpg

IMG_20191112_114100.thumb.jpg.70bd36216278a6c163ab6168bdc3f652.jpg

Great design. 

The day after I bought it I checked the tyre pressures. One was on 9psi (seemingly harder to tell by eye or foot with large low profile tyres!)

The others wernt too much better. That's ok. I have a compressor. But I can't find the cigarette lighter. 

Checked all over the dash. Ah, it's halfway down the pile of interior on my kitchen floor, attached to the shifter surround. 

Dug it out. 

Used the minimum amount of screws to affix it in place (2)

Plugged it in. 

IMG_20191111_160017.thumb.jpg.2dc1d8ec583d7e2b867962d291c5a2f8.jpg

Hooray, now I have a power outlet and cup holders. 

-1000 race car points. 

The 17s are coming off tomorrow (tyres are all ostrich-shit and don't hold air) and shall be replaced with 15 inch steels shod in fresh Rainsports. 

I don't like big wheels and small wheels make the car go faster.