The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Took the 45 for a quick spin last night to ensure no battery flattage. This is the one with the virtually welded on o/s/r brake. All fine and gave it a short and sweet razz around Bulwell. Got home, checked brake disc - red hot. Checked n/s/r - warm, o/s/f - warm, n/s/f - red hot. FFS....

Is the lack of a video of it running due to all those bits you had left over.

It's there now.

There was some chuffing from the inlet manifold, pointing to possible wrong tappet setting holding a valve open, but that seems to have stopped now.

post-7547-0-88702800-1529359004_thumb.jpg

With a couple of new Barums, grease up, and a thorough check of everything the Sherpa sports went straight through its MOT exemption. My workshop is full of dismantled Bedford van but anyway the grass is more comfortable than a concrete floor unless it rains.

I'm actually conscientious about checking vehicles' roadworthiness as I don't want to die just yet, but it still seems a bit odd not to need a ticket on a '70's car.

There's a HUGE leak passing injector 3 which improved when I cleaned and reseated it, but it's still not 100%.

EFA

Still sounds great though.

The rebuild of the Perkins engine in my series 2A is finished.

It needed a bleedin' good bleeding to get it going. I wasn't convinced the lift pump was doing much, so as I had a repair kit on the shelf, I thought I'd take it off and take it apart.

New spring and diaphragm was a PITA to fit.

attachicon.gif20180617_144535.jpg

Finally got it to cough into life.

It's running fine with its new piston rings and big end shells.

There's a small leak passing injector 3 which improved when I cleaned and reseated it, but it's still not 100%.

Here's a vid of it running..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vYkQkqQz6Io

I had a late 2a LWB with this engine and liked it. Lots of torque, a bit too much for the layshaft, but at least when it broke I was able to drive 70 miles home by leaving it in 4th gear and starting off in low range.

It's for this reason I removed the turbo on my present series 1's 300 TDI, whose torque is similar to the Perkins. The earlier Rover box is weaker than a 2a's, particularly the layshaft itself so that wouldn't have ended well.

Surprising that what was at the time the world's largest diesel engine manufacturer supplied that homemade looking exhaust manifold, but it seems to work.

Insurance is up next month & was thinking of trying to get a classic policy for the prelude, does anyone have any recommendations for a company to try? Never had a classic policy before.

I use Peter James.  Unlimited mileage, UK and Euro breakdown cover included, and they are good for adding additional cars (although the latter benefit can be a bit random in what they'll cover).  Not the cheapest judging by my renewal premium this year but worth it for the add ons.

Motivation for the Rover has lulled along with the weather of late, will need to get back to it. Not driven it in about a week and a half, recently changed the ATF fluid, but as you can only get about half out, I'll do it again. 

It has had a lawnmower sitting in the back for the last two weeks, I should maybe shift it. 

I use Peter James.  Unlimited mileage, UK and Euro breakdown cover included, and they are good for adding additional cars (although the latter benefit can be a bit random in what they'll cover).  Not the cheapest judging by my renewal premium this year but worth it for the add ons.

I've been looking out for insurance for my new purchase as none of the classic providers want to offer me anything sensible due to the car being parked on the road.

Just checked Peter James website and they'll only cover me from the age of 30. That's ridiculous.

Oh well, looks like a new proper policy with Admiral then. May as well get some no claims from it.

I've been looking out for insurance for my new purchase as none of the classic providers want to offer me anything sensible due to the car being parked on the road.

Just checked Peter James website and they'll only cover me from the age of 30. That's ridiculous.

Oh well, looks like a new proper policy with Admiral then. May as well get some no claims from it.

I just got a quote from Hastings on the comparison thingy for £304, pretty decent. Doubt I'd get much cheaper than that considering my age (28) do have 7 years no claims though

I just got a quote from Hastings on the comparison thingy for £304, pretty decent. Doubt I'd get much cheaper than that considering my age (28) do have 7 years no claims though

Not quite 2 years for me and the best quotes I've got are mid 600s. Not bad I guess.

Give PJ a call bramz.  Sometimes it's better dealing with insurers over the phone rather than just relying on internet quotes, however painful the process may be!

Edit: same goes for T&Cs.  They may be willing to amend things in order to get your business.

The manifold is homemade. It came with the engine and I made the rest of the exhaust from scrap pipe I had.

The manifold was cracked, so while it was off I gave it a weld up and some paint.

I've seen another land rover with a fabricated exhaust manifold like that apart from mine, maybe they were made for the conversion. My 4203 engine was painted gold and also leaked past an injector. I'd carefully tighten it, but the problem would recur. It had been in several series vehicles before it went in mine which was an ex-MOD late 2a with headlamps in the wings. I sold the vehicle 25 years ago.

The Starlet has departed the fleet, but it's ok, because my driveway looks like this.

DgAVD7_X4AY4n_S.jpg

Nyaargh! OCD!

Has the Dacia always had a mis-matched wheel on the front left and you've just been hiding it very well so far?

Guest Hooli

Nyaargh! OCD!

Has the Dacia always had a mis-matched wheel on the front left and you've just been hiding it very well so far?

No it's got mis-matched wheels on the other corners & only one correct one!

I can haz no idea of the spec of these things

Went up to the garage to see 'Betty' the Fiesta. Was going to use her but not sorted insurance yet. God-damn wings are welded on, not bolt on.  Started first time, sounds like a little Swiss watch. Aircon works (Betty didn't even know it had it so it's been unused for 20 years!) and as far as I can tell, everything works fine. I like the little heap, it's proper cool!

post-17745-0-24830100-1529420700_thumb.jpg

This is it! I bet you are REALLY impressed :)

I took a load in the garage today, but each and every one came out utterl shit. Don't know why.... probably 'operator error'!

post-17745-0-24830100-1529420700_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-85515900-1529420806_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-83150900-1529420823_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-80657500-1529420840_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-55004400-1529420869_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-34261000-1529420891_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-60295900-1529420909_thumb.jpg

post-17745-0-24376400-1529420929_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, in the boot was a BIG bag full of tins of food and stuff; pickled onions rice pudding, and best of all... Devon Custard! :)

Fucking drivers window mech failed on the MGF a few days back which resulted in me booting in the door in a tizzy. Since the weather is forecast for "scorchio" for at least the next two weeks, I decided to sort it, despite my resolution to run the car into the ground with no maintenance and scrap it at the end of summer.

With the doorcard off I could pop out the worst of the foot-related damage and wrestled out the mechanism. Turns out that inside the motor gearbox is a metal worm gear driving a plastic cog, which had unsurprisingly worn out. I chugged down to the scrapyard knowing full well that they wont have any MGFs but the motor itself is probably shared with other Rovers and since the motor just unbolts from the sliding gubbins it should be easy enough.

Right enough, first Rover was a 400 of some description with the door card already off. The motor was the same although it had 4 wires rather than the two of the MGF. I bagged it anyway and spotted half my old fleet on the way out.

*sadface*

post-17837-0-62688400-1529426223_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-67653300-1529426228_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back home some prodding with the wires on a battery revealed the red and blue do the job and I could just cut off the other two which are probably position switches for one-touch opening or something. All back together, which as usual is like fisting an angry crocodile, working inside the door cavity with all the grease and sharp edges, and window function seems to have been restored.

IMG_20180508_152239.jpg

This is it! I bet you are REALLY impressed :)

I took a load in the garage today, but each and every one came out utterl shit. Don't know why.... probably 'operator error'!

IMG_20180508_152239.jpg

IMG_20180619_143722.jpg

IMG_20180619_143733.jpg

IMG_20180619_143736.jpg

IMG_20180619_143740.jpg

IMG_20180619_143807.jpg

IMG_20180619_143822.jpg

IMG_20180619_143835.jpg

Oh yes, in the boot was a BIG bag full of tins of food and stuff; pickled onions rice pudding, and best of all... Devon Custard! :)

Looks like you might have had your finger over the flash. :D