Festival of the Unexceptional 2016

quicksilver

It's less than a month until the second-greatest chod gathering of this summer, Hagerty's Festival of the Unexceptional. Saturday 23rd July, Whittlebury Park Golf Club. Who's going? The Base should be there :shock:

https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/articles-and-resources/events/festival-of-the-unexceptional#

There's a Little Chefâ„¢ at Towcester from memory - so perhaps a rendezvous could be possible.  It'd be nice to pack out their car park...

Yup, there's a proper services at the Abthorpe roundabout on the A43. Although there are supposed to be all of the roadworks going on there at the moment; they keep seeming to get delayed.

I'm a maybe.  It looks like fun but depends on what else is going on in my life at the time.

A quick look at the Hagerty site (link above or click on the pic) suggests that my most likely chariot for the event has form:

post-4091-0-91459600-1467193106_thumb.jpg

Suppose I could get the SD1 or the R16 prepped though, potentially.

I don't,want to be causing a chip/piss interface here, but..

This event is a concours and I think the organisers are very selective, obviously Skizzer's VX would be welcomed with open arms and indeed I saw it there last year . But things like the Sierra Base would definitely not be allowed anywhere but the carpark.

The other thing is that it's not very big, 20 or 30 cars , albeit lovely cars, but not a place to spend more than an hour unless you are showing.

Forget Services and Little Theives there are two excellent old school Transport Cafe's within a couple of miles; Jacks Hill in Towcester on the A5/A43 roundabout and The Super Sausage on the A5 just before the Whittlebury turning coming from the south, both perfect for a meet as long as something else bike or car is not already on.

I don't,want to be causing a chip/piss interface here, but..

This event is a concours and I think the organisers are very selective...............

It’ll make for an interesting car park then.

I’m interested to see what’s on display and I’ll be coming over anyway for the TEC’s show at Billing.

We can have a meet up afterward if folk fancy it? Who'd be up for a late afternoon / early evening get together? 

Captain Slow and I are judges and we'd like Hagerty to take a wider range of cars into account; regardless of condition, we should be glad some cars like the Sierra Base still exist. We'll try to discuss this with the organisers post event. 

Bring it along by all means - last year IMHO the car park was more exciting than some of the contestants on show (but don't tell anyone I said that).

*I've probably put two-thirds of AS off now - lucky me.  

Don't worry about not being able to enter, the car park is really just an extension of the show as it's all in the same place. Dugong is right - last year there was even more interesting chod in the car park than in the show itself. The 1986 age limit isn't strictly enforced either as a 1989 Volvo got accepted last year.

So you didn't turn by 180 degrees then? There was loads of chod there in the afternoon. 

The Montego next to that invisible car thing was a Perkins development prototype and thought to be the only surviving example with an automatic gearbox. 
That's right. Perkins. Prima. Auto. 

I'm surprised at the resistance to this show - it's a free event and there are immaculate examples of cars you wouldn't see anywhere else.
There's an '89 Piazza HBL in the running this year; perhaps folk can show interest in that rather than inquiring if bits of it would fit other cars. 

It's booked in the domestic calendar. Could also be up for something that evening, as I could then camp at Billing and do that on Sunday.

I was trying to explain it to the rest of the family. Young Master SL got confused and is now calling it "The show of the unacceptables" (which doesn't seem altogether inappropriate for our presence there).

I'll be in the public car park in my Stellar, or my son's Tipo, or my Reliant, or my 205 automatic, depending on which one is easiest to get out of my self generated traffic jam outside the house.

The concours cars were very pretty last year but I spent more time looking at cars in the carpark which showed more obvious signs of use (and usefulness).

Yes, I'll be bringing the Sierra Base along. Went last year, great event and the car park got almost as much attention as the actual concours field, as they're only a few feet away from each other. Won't bother entering it in the concours, as NorfolknWeigh says it's not really what they're looking for, but I'll be happy for it to be in the front row of the car park :)

I'm a maybe.  It looks like fun but depends on what else is going on in my life at the time.

A quick look at the Hagerty site (link above or click on the pic) suggests that my most likely chariot for the event has form:

attachicon.gif19864665608_03827e27fb_k.jpg

Suppose I could get the SD1 or the R16 prepped though, potentially.

Yes, I'll be bringing the Sierra Base along. Went last year, great event and the car park got almost as much attention as the actual concours field, as they're only a few feet away from each other. Won't bother entering it in the concours, as NorfolknWeigh says it's not really what they're looking for, but I'll be happy for it to be in the front row of the car park :)

Come on, Skizz!  It'd be nice to get some of the "bASe owners club" together with the car.  I'll bring the 343.

• 1 month later...

That J2(?) camper is delightful, but that fabric trim would give me a headache. The sporty Daf looks stunning, the Bond Equipe still looks awful* in silver; I was once told (probably one for the bullshit fact thread) that the if a car doesn't look right in silver it won't look right in any colour.

*I'm allowed to say they look awful, I used to own one, I still thought it looked awful, the proportions are terrible and it looks under-wheeled, the earlier one was much less worse.