'93 Mondy thread - a K reg estate *exists*

egg

Same deal with my 97 Calibra - pre-OBD but Opcom still works with it (for the most part). Then on Vx you also have the paper clip trick to make the EML read off the code. Anyway seems like the flashing is trying to tell you something, have a look here and see if you can recognise a code from the flashes http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Airbag_Fault_Codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today, I finally caved in and asked my dad for help! Within 45 minutes, thanks to the new connector from Greengartside, 'we' re-wired the fan speed control, replaced the resistor, put the mk2 blower motor in - and hooray we have a working heater system!

The hot/cold control isn't perfect - but there is a 'manual override' by adjusting the lever on the heater matrix by crawling under the dashboard.

So for a first drive in about a month - ok, so brakes a bit seized, but a few pumps and we were moving.

And the downsides

- there is a clunk on the nearside from what sounds like the front suspension, whether this is linked to the suspension arm replacement - after all that is gearbox side where the bolts had to be reversed, I don't know - but will need to go back to the garage for that.

- the alarm is going off when locked now, might have solved it by opening and re-closing all the windows again - fingers crossed!

- the engine is running very rough - after a short drive around - it is hesitating quite a bit, there is some steam coming off the engine (just oil burning from the rocker cover leak I hope). Hopefully just in need of an Italian tune-up? Here is a video

Help please folks. I've had a strange misfire on my 1.6, took it round the corner to friendly garage. Spark is consistent across all cylinders - so the misfire seems to be moving around. Then, he called me in to have a look at the injector wiring harness - and he's worried that is the cause - see attached pics. It does look fragile with several bare wires. Anyone any experience of this? Think this is the cause? Got an injector wiring loom? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

post-20084-0-78633700-1459959688_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-51833400-1459959691_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-35135800-1459959694_thumb.jpg

Well it don't look good TBH, so I'd probably sort it as a matter of course even if it wasn't 100% causing the issue - that's exactly the type of thing that's likely to give up the ghost at 10.46pm on a Sunday evening in the rain.

Scrapyard, lop off the connectors plus 6" of cable, soldering iron and heatshrink.

Nice one, that looks very similar, But as it is 98 year part (cos it fits the Focus) - looks more like one for a Mondeo Mk2 - and might be a different evolution of the zetec....

Before you start with the injector harness, these very very rarely go wrong unless there's damage to them, have you checked the coil? Start with the cheapest solution, check the plugs, then I'd move on to swapping the coil with a known good one. Other possibilities are the MAF, disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.

What's it idling at? Are the throttle body clear of carbon?

it looks really fragile - I think the bare wires suggest it would be sensible to change anyway as Pillock suggested.The plugs need replacing regardless - they look very old!

MAF is a good call as well, will try that.

Idle is all over the shot - but the misfire under acceleration is the worst issue.

One other thing - re: suspension clunk identified on Sunday, looks like it is the fault of the new lower arms mechanic fitted- problem with one of the bolts on nearside. He has ordered a new bolt and will fit tomorrow, so should solve that one...

post-20084-0-34852000-1459972474_thumb.jpg

MAF on these is hot wire, so can sometimes be resurrected with a can of carb cleaner.

Take MAF off, look down it, admire the wire stretched across, notice the amount of crud plastered on it.

A blast of carb cleaner to soak the crud, leave it 30s, another blast and it should be cleaner.

Thanks all. Taking everyone's advice I'm going for new plugs, leads (cheapo ones though, OEM is recommended by many!) and coil. I have also got the new crankcase breather t-piece from Ford this morning and dropped it off with the mechanic. It's the t shaped rubber piece on the far right of this drawing....

post-48561-0-13916300-1340219342.jpg

In deep with this car now, needs to be a bit of a keeper! Got 2-3 possible sources of a new wiring loom for the injectors...

• 4 weeks later...

Well time for a bank holiday weekend update.

Following the posts early in April, I got my mechanic to do the jobs listed above - and well, it runs a hell of a lot better now! I've not had any problems with the injector loom, but have sourced a spare in the shed for when/if the inevitable happens. The wiring into the main loom is complex though, so will probably need an auto electrician when the time comes.

So, the car has done a couple of 90 mile round trips for work and coped well, doing everything a Mondeo should do on the motorway. It is a tad underpowered, and changing down for larger hills has become something to adjust to, when this car was new the 1.8 really must have been the sensible default choice! But then again people bought 1300 Sierras and Capris...Anyway, it is a relaxing drive encouraging steady, safe,driving. 

Having said that, it does handle really well, the lack of power meaning that preserving momentum can be a good way of keeping up with the traffic, and the car encourages you to do that - new ARB bushes on the front would surely tighten it up further.

I really like the car, and base spec is perfectly adequate - but I will long for air con on hot summer days in my work togs.

As documented on another thread, I've been debating how much to spend on the next round of jobs. The MOT can decide that for me, it is due 1 June, so will hopefully put it in this week and get a pass (fingers crossed) - with at least 3 advisories re: oil leak, airbag light and exhaust leak. I will ask the mechanic that has done the work on it to take it down for the test, and give it a through pre-test check over.

Will post the results in due course! Hopefully the work I've done (and got done) will reduce the long advisory list from last year.

post-20084-0-24579000-1462293772_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MOT tomorrow then. Forgot to add at least the fourth advisory - windscreen chip. Mechanic is going to give her the once over and take her down to the test. With 12 (and a half) months ticket - I can make some more investments* in the car. Cambelt for starters.

I like my cars stock, but I'm not adverse to mods that are (a) almost invisible (b ) easily reversible (c ) cheap! Ghia models have a much more useful* interior light combo, and it is a 2 minute swap job - before and after below....

post-20084-0-27688500-1462981189_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-99999300-1462981200_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, my wallet is £400 lighter this week. Bloody hell, just think what lovely shite I could have bought with that instead!!!1111!!

It now has new cambelt, new tensioners/pulley, new aux belt, new water pump, new air filter, oil and filter change and obv new coolant + also a perished (if not actually leaking) rad hose replaced. 

Only done a 10 mile run since, but fingers crossed she is running v. smoothly indeed.

One big change - it was running very cool - now bang in the middle of the gauge  :-)

So now ready for a run to Buckingham I think, I've certainly paid the price of entry I reckon  ;-)

Bloody hell, don't give me nightmares Ken! I read Bornite's Merc 190 thread with dread just after I handed over the keys for this work. There by the grace of god....

yep, it is ridiculous. 

Best spin I can put on it is I now have a practical family car with 56,000 miles on the clock for a non-stupid amount of money. Pass me the underseal...