Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Is this the worst car I have ever bought!

Six-cylinder

So the Question is do folks want another FoD Open Weekend in September?

It is a topsy turvy year and normally slotting another event in would be hard but this year with so little other stuff we could go for number 3. I am thinking 12/13 or 19/20 Sep.

What do people think, is it too soon?

The photo is dreaming of the future, the reality is a grass field as normal.

P1370712 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'd definitely be up for it.  19/20 would suit me better as I'm on holiday the following week, but could probably make either.  I still need to have a go in the JCB...

It is amazing how easy it is to NOT drive stuff at the Field of Dreams. I didn't manage a drive in Gamma or Trevi this time!

Suspect we're going to struggle with another visit sadly. The kids are especially disappointed as they had the time of their life driving actual cars. By the way, a 2CV is a great car to teach a child in, because the handbrake is on the passenger side and you can also easily reach the key. Thankfully emergency measures were not required, but that doesn't mean I hadn't considered them!

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

So the Question is do folks want another FoD Open Weekend in September?

It is a topsy turvy year and normally slotting another event in would be hard but this year with so little other stuff we could go for number 3. I am thinking 12/13 or 19/20 Sep.

What do people think, is it too soon?

The photo is dreaming of the future, the reality is a grass field as normal.

P1370712 broad.jpg

depending on if my back has recovered by then, I would be up for it :) (currently leaning towards the later dates as it gives my back/body more time to recover, but its hard to predict how it does sadly! but otherwise im flexible date wise :) )

im guessing this one would be the last until next year when winter is over?

obviously id like to fettle REV some more, but im not sure if much else can be done until she can be brought into the new barn or solid ground

do wonder if its worth ordering up those new headlights and fitting them during the september gathering? 

The weekend of the 12th/13th looks the best bet. 20th is Chumley (assuming it goes ahead) and a lot of our regulars will be there, and 27th is the BL rally at Milton Keynes Museum. That said, 20th is also my birthday and being in the FOD would be a great way to celebrate it. If it's even half as fun as the one we've just had I'm definitely up for another.

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

26/27 is the only weekend in September I am currently not doing anything, so would be able to come up for shits and giggles then.

I thought you had already been around when I found my Dustbin laying in the road today!

Sorry, sorry, only joking, as Quicksilver confirms 27th is British Leyland day at Milton Keynes Museum. You could come up for tinkering Saturday and the BL show Sunday. Usually I am happy to lend my BL cars out, but would need some help in advance to get them ready.

MG Metro in good working order in storage

MGB GT in good working order in storage

XJ6 S2 in storage, has dropped a load of gearbox oil but I suspect a top up would mean it was fine for a trip to MK

VP1500 needs sub-frame  mounting welded and I doubt it will be ready in time. 

XJ6 S1 booked in for gearbox repairs 7 Sep might be ready.

Triumph Vitesse in good working order, but blocked in by dead Peugeot 504 and would be a lot of work to get out because rolling the dead 504 out down our drive is easy the problem is getting it back in our garage up our sloping drive would need some sort of winch to get it back in.

IMG_20200825_140513 broad.jpg

here is some of the remaining photos I took of the weekend just gone :) 

REV tucked away in her corner, before I got determined to do SOMETHING with my invacar, and got her moving on sunday :) 

642058300_IMG_00423.thumb.JPG.28a000a8b28c2631d0c4ac5818953364.JPG

the DS had a wonderful vintage smell from the interior  :) was also cool to see one again after about 15 years, as a family friend had a couple of DS's in succession when I was small, its the only vintage car I spent time in as a small kid :) (where he convinced me due to the adjustable suspension that it could float on water!)

1214563995_IMG_00532.thumb.JPG.6ed1cf0a19c94231648e52e0a745e3db.JPG

it was fun when there where several of us on the field "circuit" :) 

335110917_IMG_00562.thumb.JPG.ac0bda53e4e05d4be30c34a052993a68.JPG

the Lancia Gamma, first time I have driven a Lancia, well this weekend was a lot of firsts for me :) this one was interesting IIRC it was the one where the steering started off heavy then lightened up the more you turned it, the gearbox was pretty nice to operate too IIRC :) 

1918255563_IMG_00572.thumb.JPG.fd1dfe65180f9cbb7ed91d36e494915e.JPG

the famous visa convertible :) hoping at some point to get a go in this one

884821394_IMG_00592.thumb.JPG.391497bc4a67069eaab2fa9e78cdde25.JPG

the 2CV that I had all the fun in :) 

759492950_IMG_00602.thumb.JPG.4a399e9115e4200b8c433f0717bd62f7.JPG

the XM, apart from the fact I could just not figure out what gear it was in, drove well good at ambling around the field while having a conversation with your passenger 

1701553442_IMG_00642.thumb.JPG.d9b7a0c1bd439cad16d5434e8adb2e2b.JPG

28 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

The weekend of the 12th/13th looks the best bet. 20th is Chumley (assuming it goes ahead) and a lot of our regulars will be there, and 27th is the BL rally at Milton Keynes Museum. That said, 20th is also my birthday and being in the FOD would be a great way to celebrate it. If it's even half as fun as the one we've just had I'm definitely up for another.

13th is GS/GSA day at the Rural life museum Farnham and I like going there but I am not that comfortable with travel further away from home at the moment and face masks. I might be happier just in the field of dreams.

20th Chumley is a great day out but at the moment I am not ready to travel that far. There is also a Gamma event in the Lake district. The question is how many will we lose if we pick the 19/20th? 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

im guessing this one would be the last until next year when winter is over?

obviously id like to fettle REV some more, but im not sure if much else can be done until she can be brought into the new barn or solid ground

do wonder if its worth ordering up those new headlights and fitting them during the september gathering? 

There is no limit to how often or when we can open the field of dreams, it's just the ground has to be reasonably dry and folks want to come. There will not be indoor working space until next year.

I am enjoying being up there a lot at the moment and I am happy to open on request! The thing I have learn is that it is great to have a field but it is is better with friends!

Shame the VP1500 won’t be ready for BL day as that’s (apart from the Vitesse) my cup of tea, and the one I’d be most likely to fit in! 

Would love a go in the Visa - been a very Very very long time since I drove one (1997!) and that had sensible Peugeotified indicators.

12 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Shame the VP1500 won’t be ready for BL day as that’s (apart from the Vitesse) my cup of tea, and the one I’d be most likely to fit in! 

Would love a go in the Visa - been a very Very very long time since I drove one (1997!) and that had sensible Peugeotified indicators.

We could ask @Andyrew if he could have a look at the VP in case it is something he could do.

39 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

What is the likelihood of Cholmondeley actually going ahead?

It isn't up as cancelled on the castle website or Classic Shows' website, and they are on top of it as Tough Mudder does show up as cancelled on the castle site (always held at the same time of year).
edit: TBC this week apparently.

I'd be up for an open day if it didn't coincide with Chumley. 

52 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

....There is no limit to how often or when we can open the field of dreams, it's just the ground has to be reasonably dry and folks want to come. There will not be indoor working space until next year.

I am enjoying being up there a lot at the moment and I am happy to open on request! The thing I have learn is that it is great to have a field but it is is better with friends!

Gives a whole new meaning to "playing the field"

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I thought you had already been around when I found my Dustbin laying in the road today!

Sorry, sorry, only joking, as Quicksilver confirms 27th is British Leyland day at Milton Keynes Museum. You could come up for tinkering Saturday and the BL show Sunday. Usually I am happy to lend my BL cars out, but would need some help in advance to get them ready.

MG Metro in good working order in storage

MGB GT in good working order in storage

XJ6 S2 in storage, has dropped a load of gearbox oil but I suspect a top up would mean it was fine for a trip to MK

VP1500 needs sub-frame  mounting welded and I doubt it will be ready in time. 

XJ6 S1 booked in for gearbox repairs 7 Sep might be ready.

Triumph Vitesse in good working order, but blocked in by dead Peugeot 504 and would be a lot of work to get out because rolling the dead 504 out down our drive is easy the problem is getting it back in our garage up our sloping drive would need some sort of winch to get it back in.

IMG_20200825_140513 broad.jpg

Happy to help out getting anything ready, and unless someone else pipes up I'll jump at the chance to pilot the MGB to the BL Day show.

Guessing by 85 my Jag is probably late enough that it's considered to be more Jag and less BL... Though I might bring it anyway (museum is a five minute drive from my home address if I could cadge a lift from someone to allow me to get two cars there) as I've yet to get it to one yet!

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

13th is GS/GSA day at the Rural life museum Farnham and I like going there but I am not that comfortable with travel further away from home at the moment and face masks. I might be happier just in the field of dreams.

20th Chumley is a great day out but at the moment I am not ready to travel that far.

I am enjoying being up there a lot at the moment

:)

gimp.jpg

mask.jpg

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I'd be up for an open day if it didn't coincide with Chumley. 

FoD on the Saturday and Chumley on the Sunday? 

Lol, I’d really like to stay over this time. Doing it in a day was fine, but I missed out on fish and chips which was not fine!