Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

FoD Open Weekend 12/13 September. 

I see a lot of new names on the forum and this is an open invitation to all Autoshite members new and old. Members gather chat, drive, work on my cars and stuff. You can work on your own stuff or just sit around drinking tea. Come for an hour or come for the weekend, all you have to is pm me for for directions and it is FREE.

27th September is British Leyland Day at Milton Keynes Museum and I am planning to go along. Anybody who wants to camp at the FoD is welcome before and/or after the event.

There is no reason we cannot gather at the FoD with my cars and yours. I am happy to lend out any BL era cars that I am not using so at the FoD open day we can get out MGB GT, Metro and Daimler Sovereign S2. It would be good if we could do legal and levels checks on them. At the moment I only have two BL cars to lend out and as @dozeydustman set this off I will give him first option on one of them.

The Vanden Plas 1500 subframe mounting repairs are going to be assessed this weekend and the gearbox on the Sovereign S1 maybe done in time. If they are running I will be pleased to lend them out.

I'd like to pop up again, if OK. Would probably be in the Fenlander this time, and may even cheekily ask if anyone fancies helping with the power steering belt if I haven't done it by then... 

• Like 2

Woo! if I vegetate between now and the 12th hopefully my back will be recovered enough so I can cripple it again make it on the 12th its the weekend after my 21st birthday so it would be rude not to come along :) 

although I can see myself rigging up a suitable supply for REV and then just staying in her for most of the weekend LOL she makes for a handy well err mobility scooter to just womble about in :) 

(think ill pass on being human ballast for the Tiddly truck this time LOL I much prefer my ballasts made of Iron and copper and hooked up to one of my lightbulbs!)

however if you say some more BL stuff will be at this 12/13th weekend then I definitely want to have a go in those, especially the MGB :) 

so if @Mrs6C or someone such can Ferry me about again then count me in for the weekend :)  (I just have to make sure I reign it in a bit because last weekend I properly crippled myself and I would like to avoid doing that again!)

• Like 2

thats step 1 completely which is get my £8.99 back from Premier inn from the last weekend!, figured id post this incase it happened/happens to anyone else

because for some reason on the day my booking got changed to 2 persons and I got double charged on the breakfast 

this was the initial booking email I got on the 12th

image.png.2a2409ff9c01cfc8f13ca7c418eaed36.png

then on the 22nd I (unknowingly) got this at 11AM!

image.png.e4c559e0764c22dd2ede023590654bc6.png

so gave em a call just now on this number 0333 003 0025 and they quickly and kindly sorted it out, they said it was the first time something like this had happened and they will look into it, and I have been refunded the extra £8.99

they said some reason the hotel changed the booking and I got charged twice for the breakfast they think it was to do with the fact even tho it was a 1 person booking I still booked a double room

I asked how I might avoid this happening in future and they said perhaps dont get the breakfast online and just ask for it when I check in, so perhaps ill do that for the 12/13th and see how that goes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

FoD Open Weekend 12/13 September. 

all you have to is  pm me for for directions bring choccy digestives and it is FREE. at the cost of biscuits

• Haha 1

@Six-cylinder very kind to offer me dibs on the cars, I know I don’t fit in an MGB at all and the Daimler and Metro are also a bit of a squeeze, so if the VdP is off the road I may have to pass on your kind offer and be a passenger to BL day.

59 minutes ago, hairnet said:

i would glady pay money to have a small spin in the 2cv

also the gs (unless @320touring turns up :P

2CV needs greasing up before it gets more field driving.

13th is GS rally so I guess it will not be out this year.

I have been offered a free car for people to drive in the field to save our road cars from miles of field use! Yes by the garage that has to fix them for us.

Well not quite a car in fact a van, an Astravan Sportive Cdti. It needed more MOT work than the owner was prepared to do including a ball joint, windscreen and other stuff. The good news is it runs well. The owner has now decided he does not want it back and my garage is waiting for V5C before they will release it to me. My only problem then is transporting it 18 miles.

IMG_20200827_114746 broad.jpg

IMG_20200827_114824 broad.jpg

IMG_20200827_114808 broad.jpg

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Woo! if I vegetate between now and the 12th hopefully my back will be recovered enough so I can cripple it again make it on the 12th its the weekend after my 21st birthday so it would be rude not to come along :) 

although I can see myself rigging up a suitable supply for REV and then just staying her for most of the weekend LOL she makes for a handy well err mobility scooter to just womble about in :) 

(think ill pass on being human ballast for the Tiddly truck this time LOL I much prefer my ballasts made of Iron and copper and hooked up to one of my lightbulbs!)

however if you say some more BL stuff will be at this 12/13th weekend then I definitely want to have a go in those, especially the MGB :) 

so if @Mrs6C or someone such can Ferry me about again then count me in for the weekend :)  (I just have to make sure I reign it in a bit because last weekend I properly crippled myself and I would like to avoid doing that again!)

I've not got the kids on this weekend so I could do a run to mk Station and back to the fod if needed on Saturday? What time does your train usually get in? 

Infact if you got the train to Haddenham and thame I could pick you up on the way past (and take you to the hotel, that's fine too). 

• Like 3

That's a grim shed on wheels too... But it has a cd player! We could play the Gareth emery cd we found in the BMW... 

There was a proper knocking sound coming from the back drivers side of the BMW too last Saturday as it drove around... 

6 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I've not got the kids on this weekend so I could do a run to mk Station and back to the fod if needed on Saturday? What time does your train usually get in? 

Infact if you got the train to Haddenham and thame I could pick you up on the way past (and take you to the hotel, that's fine too). 

ah awesome! the offer is very much appreciated :) 

I normally aim to be at MKC by 10AM, but I am flexible in that regard

however id prefer to stick to MKC, as I know that route well and the trains from London Euston to MKC are frequent, fast and direct so theres less chance of me being stranded on a train platform for an hour doing my back in and/or getting lost!

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah awesome! the offer is very much appreciated :) 

I normally aim to be at MKC by 10AM, but I am flexible in that regard

however id prefer to stick to MKC, as I know that route well and the trains from London Euston to MKC are frequent, fast and direct so theres less chance of me being stranded on a train platform for an hour doing my back and/or getting lost!

That's fine then, I could do that if you want, 10am is good as I can leave mine at 9. If you said 7am I'd have said sod off!

Put me down as a maybe for a lift back too but equally I won't stay mega late on Sunday so Mrs6c might be best for an early evening run back

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That's fine then, I could do that if you want, 10am is good as I can leave mine at 9. If you said 7am I'd have said sod off!

Put me down as a maybe for a lift back too but equally I won't stay mega late on Sunday so Mrs6c might be best for an early evening run back

yeah ill wait and see what @Mrs6C is up for but im very happy/thankful to know I at least have one half of the problem kindly sorted if she cannot pick me up :) 

Mrs Dustman is expressing interest in coming along as well if:

A) we’re not camping 
2) she can bring wine
C) there are other Ladies coming who aren’t interested much in cars with whom she can chat and be a bad influence to.
D) potato.

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah ill wait and see what @Mrs6C is up for but im very happy/thankful to know I at least have one half of the problem kindly sorted if she cannot pick me up :) 

Well if she can't take you back that will be sorted too, don't worry! If the worst happens and the mainline train network falls down I could drive you to uxbridge...

I'd not call it a problem

• Like 1

Ah a towbar too, helpful for shifting stuff around in between driving lessons ?

I'm definitely up for this and the timing is perfect as I'm spending a good chunk of the previous week earning brownie points with the new girlfriend by helping her parents move house.

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

That's very kind of @beko1987 to offer to collect you from MKC on the Saturday morning. If he does that, I can run you back there on the Sunday evening. Glad that you got the cost of that phantom second breakfast reimbursed by Premier Inn! How odd that it was charged to you in the first place. As they suggest, you can make arrangements for it at the hotel on the day if needed. You could always nip into Costa Coffee and have coffee and some breakfast pastries in there! :-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I can take you to tesco for food if you want? For the price of a premier inn dried food bag you'd buy alot of croissants and fanta...

Lidl is opposite Tesco too and has nicer croissants! :-)

• Like 3