More tax

Me9

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Who every time something doesn’t go right stands and says ‘I wouldn’t have done it like that’ but can’t explain what they would do or how they’d fund it? 

Highest tax burden since?  What was it? 1948?  The party of low taxes, apparently?  The Conservatives are a complete and utter shower and you know it just as well as anybody.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Labour will have it all sorted out for you! 

quite agree, until they come up with a plan as to how they are going to fund all these things they plan to do without raising taxes all I see is a even less competant lot than the Tories.

What we all have to face up to is we saddled ourselves with an enourmous debt during covid (which all parties agreed with) and over the next few years we have to pay this back while trying to grow the economy and while maintaining things like the NHS,  it seems almost inevitable that whoever is in power will continue to raise taxes to one degree or another, I'm old enough to have lived through the Brown Blair era, those guys took taxation and partcularly stealth taxes to a new level.

I do wish they'd stick it on the fuel, I'd probably pay about the same as I do a fair amount of miles, but it would stop good cars getting scrapped simply because no-one wants to pay the tax. Doesn't seem very environmental to me.

I will have to be a bit smarter in sorning cars when I'm not using them. If you pay 12.months by direct debit then sorn part way through do they put your money back in your account rather than sending a bloody cheque?

5 minutes ago, w00dy said:

I do wish they'd stick it on the fuel, I'd probably pay about the same as I do a fair amount of miles, but it would stop good cars getting scrapped simply because no-one wants to pay the tax. Doesn't seem very environmental to me.

I will have to be a bit smarter in sorning cars when I'm not using them. If you pay 12.months by direct debit then sorn part way through do they put your money back in your account rather than sending a bloody cheque?

They send a cheque. That's the only refund method.

Can you not pay it in using a banking app? I always buy 12 months at a time and cancel it when I stop using the car and just pay the cheque in with a photo in the app

3 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

They send a cheque. That's the only refund method.

Can you not pay it in using a banking app? I always buy 12 months at a time and cancel it when I stop using the car and just pay the cheque in with a photo in the app

Shame.

I do the same, but it takes ages for Royal Mail to bother delivering letters these days and some definitely go missing. It's fine, but just one more thing to go wrong and just feels unnecessary in 2024.

1 minute ago, w00dy said:

Shame.

I do the same, but it takes ages for Royal Mail to bother delivering letters these days and some definitely go missing. It's fine, but just one more thing to go wrong and just feels unnecessary in 2024.

I probably do it 6-10 times per year and the cheque is always there within a couple of days. DVLA seems very organised with getting them posted out, at least

Less to do with controlling the masses and more to do with it being beneficial to the economy if people are reliably buying new cars frequently.

would explain why the extra tax isn’t added on to fuel either.

The Volvo is the only car I need to tax now, £345 a year.

12 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Boss has just had his tax reminder - £180 for a 2001 1.9TDi Golf - yet my 1998 1.9 TDi Passat is £325???

You're on different tax systems. His is based on CO2 output, yours is based on engine capacity. From 1st April 2024, yours is £345

The system was changed to a banded CO2-based one in March 2001

16 hours ago, sierraman said:

Because Labour would have it all sorted out! 😂

as a standard reply per all political posts on here - no, i doubt they would, but we can definitely say virtually no one would be as bad 'all round' for the economy and all us island dwellers as the lot in power for the last 14 years ish 

(of course this is just an opinion, we all know what opinions are)

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I probably do it 6-10 times per year and the cheque is always there within a couple of days. DVLA seems very organised with getting them posted out, at least

Just done this - filled in the online form 23rd March. Cheque arrived yesterday and paid in via Halifax photograph, thingy, app
So, not instant but Gov is not going to go bust (I hope) so 'the cheque is in the post' is good enough for me

2 hours ago, kevins said:

quite agree, until they come up with a plan as to how they are going to fund all these things they plan to do without raising taxes all I see is a even less competant lot than the Tories.

What we all have to face up to is we saddled ourselves with an enourmous debt during covid (which all parties agreed with) and over the next few years we have to pay this back while trying to grow the economy and while maintaining things like the NHS,  it seems almost inevitable that whoever is in power will continue to raise taxes to one degree or another, I'm old enough to have lived through the Brown Blair era, those guys took taxation and partcularly stealth taxes to a new level.

I think its the needless and only beneficial to rich mates in high places spending thats the issue. Not saying labour is the answer but the last 14 years have shown the tories certainly arent 

11 hours ago, kevins said:

I do remember the country mostly working before 2010 though. I’d take them again in a shot after this bent shower.

On 02/04/2024 at 21:30, kevins said:

can't see the other parties being any better than the current incumbents, may be worse after all Labour did away with rolling historic all together last time.  I think George Gallaway summed it up well, they are  2 cheeks of the same arse! ( not that a I agree with much else he says).

It's ironic because he seems to be the "worst of both worlds", making an unholy alliance of left & right wing policies with the expected Putin simping both sides just love to do!

Just now, Richard_FM said:

It's ironic because he seems to be the "worst of both worlds", making an unholy alliance of left & right wing policies with the expected Putin simping both sides just love to do!

If they are 2 cheeks of the same arse, then Galloway can only be what you find in between them...!

For the first time ever last summer I did the monthly thing on my classics & motorcycles. I was sceptical but works mint & I’m guessing in the long run saved me money. For example I have an E30 320i convertible, I have quite simply no interest whatsoever of driving it with the roof up. I taxed it on the DD monthly thing, drove it quite a bit, then the following month I was away on holiday for two weeks & the weather was set shite (as it’s pretty much been since ffs) so I sorned it. Not taxed it since, however I would probably have left it taxed at least 3 to 4 months (if not the whole 6 months) using the previous system.  Best bit is as well, they take the payment the month after you tax it, so if you only do it for a month (as I ended up doing) you don’t pay until it’s back in the garage so to speak

On 03/04/2024 at 12:19, horriblemercedes said:

The system was changed to a banded CO2-based one in March 2001

And few years ago to 'price based' where a car becomes magically a lot more expensive to tax if it costs more than £40k.

None of these three systems have any relevance whatsoever to road use, net CO2 emissions or emission cleanliness which are three things VED could be targeted at.

8 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

And few years ago to 'price based' where a car becomes magically a lot more expensive to tax if it costs more than £40k.

None of these three systems have any relevance whatsoever to road use, net CO2 emissions or emission cleanliness which are three things VED could be targeted at.

Of course not, that’s just the government spanking you, coz they can. I mean Stamp duty on a house wtf is that about? Taxing you on your pension (which btw you paid tax on when you earned it) etc etc etc 

Land Rover (Free) Haven't paid for road tax since 1996

Motorbike (£122.85) But currently SORNed, need to sort a few little jobs out like starting issue, new chain, sprockets, tyres, suspension, plus I'm in no rush to 'enjoy' Britain's shellholed, waterlogged road network any time soon.

Cashcow (£267.75) but Mrs warch is still paying this for some reason

'New' Astra (220 quid) but becomes tax exempt in April 2026.

(Expects grudging admiration, especially from those north of the border).

10 minutes ago, warch said:

Land Rover (Free) Haven't paid for road tax since 1996

Motorbike (£122.85) But currently SORNed, need to sort a few little jobs out like starting issue, new chain, sprockets, tyres, suspension, plus I'm in no rush to 'enjoy' Britain's shellholed, waterlogged road network any time soon.

Cashcow (£267.75) but Mrs warch is still paying this for some reason

'New' Astra (220 quid) but becomes tax exempt in April 2026.

(Expects grudging admiration, especially from those north of the border).

don't assume there is any guarantee it will be tax free in 2026, I bought my elan when it was 24 years old and 9 months before it was due for free tax, mr Blair got voted in and 15 years/ around 3 grand later it finaly became tax free when the Tories got back in. Based on Labour's anti car approach (particuarly around London) I would not be at all suprised if with a phrase like 'Rich people with a toy cars don't deserve a tax break' it all gets scrapped.

1 hour ago, kevins said:

don't assume there is any guarantee it will be tax free in 2026, I bought my elan when it was 24 years old and 9 months before it was due for free tax, mr Blair got voted in and 15 years/ around 3 grand later it finaly became tax free when the Tories got back in. Based on Labour's anti car approach (particuarly around London) I would not be at all suprised if with a phrase like 'Rich people with a toy cars don't deserve a tax break' it all gets scrapped.

Tbh it’ll be worth it if we don’t have a Tory Gubberment.

Mine's up to £335 a year now, plus my Car will only run on E5 pez which is another bloody rip off.

Yet they class my car as Ulez compliant for nearby Birmingham.

But if I had the so called evil polluting Diesel Version, I'd pay just £210 Road Tax and be better off fuel cost / MPG wise too.

So it just proves what a load of old bollocks this all is on the environmental angle. 

Can't wait for my Insurance renewal in May, to see what shit they come out with too.

Still whatever happens in the future with the soring costs of motoring, they won't get me back on public transport or worse in a fucking EV. 

I got a bit of a shock yesterday taxing the Maestro, I didn't realise the 'over 1549 cc' has now gone up to £345 (£30/mo). And the Puma falls into this band too. 

Roughly four years before the Maestro becomes exempt, if the current structure remains unchanged.