More tax

Me9

It has got to the stage where I don't check insurance, I check tax bill.

I dodged a bullet with a cheap (fucked) jeep Cherokee I had an eye on for a cheap off roader and a  bit of green laning. £795 a year to tax.

Er.... No thank you. I'll go back to looking for a Jimny with an actual floor.

Focus will be £255 on next renewal... Was £240 last year and £200/12 months when I bought it in 2019..

Xsara Picasso will be £305 on next renewal, band H, which was £240/12 months in 2018. 

I'm used to a fiver a year increase which I thought it always used to be, but it's not looking that way any more. Greedy cunts. 

• Agree 2

Yup, the XC90 will be up to £715 on renewal…. 

11 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

It has got to the stage where I don't check insurance, I check tax bill.

I dodged a bullet with a cheap (fucked) jeep Cherokee I had an eye on for a cheap off roader and a  bit of green laning. £795 a year to tax.

Er.... No thank you. I'll go back to looking for a Jimny with an actual floor.

It's a piss take it really is, just how the fk they can justify putting it up again with the state of the roads is beyond me. And yes we all know its not "road tax" but many still say that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The stupid thing is these bands were based on CO2 for emissions reasons – and all the free VED DPF-equipped diesel shitboxes that pump out more NOx and particulates than any V8 petrol beast are still getting free or cheap road tax - and a new car made with zero shits given about CO2 because ££s is £180 a year after the high first few year rates.

Most Euro 4 petrol cars are cleaner than even the latest Euro 6 diesel in real terms 😕

£435 for me too on a car I'm not particularly keen on. Seriously thinking of changing cars. What I want is the same tax bracket but hopefully I'd like it and not complain too much. 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/654884

Yes, the PT Cruiser is absolutely horrible to tax – for just 240g/km and a car that has done 14,000 miles in 16 years at current rates it would have contributed £11,440 in tax.

When a 2010 Citroen/Ford/whatever HDI or VW diesel could have covered 150,000 miles and cost nothing while putting out serious levels of pollution (and it's worth bearing in mind the DPF doesn't really clear pollution, it cleans up the tailpipe until the car is at extra-urban speeds then dumps a shitload of it in the countryside).

My vans just renewed, N1 class, up from £320 to £335, an absolute bargain compared to some of the £700+ jobbies.

3 minutes ago, Me9 said:

It's a piss take it really is, just how the fk they can justify putting it up again with the state of the roads is beyond me. And yes we all know its not "road tax" but many still say that. 

It's all about pricing people out of "old" (15+ year old?) vehicles which are inherently more reliable and long lasting than they used to be. (The MK1 Focus for example is still a remarkably modern feeling, capable, practical and reliable vehicle despite the earliest examples now being 26 years old) 

10 years ago, would a 26 year old car still have been a capable, ubiquitous family car? Not to the same extent as today. 

The problem they have is that there are still too many of these cars around, the scrappage scheme hasn't helped a certain section of the population but you know what will actually hit them? Increasing VED. Seriously, it works. How many people are moaning about an extra £20 a year in VED? Quite a few. And I'd be willing to be most people outside of this forum faced with a £6/7/800 annual VED bill will begin to seriously consider getting rid of the car. 

Now, once they've pushed enough people out of these cars and into the BEV/HEV segment, what's going to happen? 

Free road tax? That's not going to last is it....

Of course they're going to find something else as a cause to extract more tax out of everyone's pockets. Brake and tyre particulate emmisions you say? Sounds good to me! But until they have enough people roped on board for that, they need to find a way of getting everyone out of what is a band of frustratingly (for them) reliable and capable, longer lasting vehicles which are actually great for the majority of people, but of course keeping 15+ year old vehicles on the road for longer is not compatible with the climate agenda. 

The price of post April 2006 guzzlers is dropping - jag XFR's now under £7k.

I have my eye on a another BMW 545 but the seller is a bit optimistic with the price. Even that will be £435 a year.

Ultimately I think the morons we keep electing simply want people out of personal transport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

£325 for the Volvo, I got pissed off having to pay that but it’s bugger all compared to some here.

It’s an absolute rip off. It’s just a money making spin. The roads are still in a shit state so where’s all this money going?

Makes me happy my others are tax exempt and MOT exempt. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

once they've pushed enough people out of these cars and into the BEV/HEV segment, what's going to happen? 

I will be literally dead before that happens to me.

Thankfully I can afford the £59 per month boot in the baws for the Saab and I like the car so I will keep paying it.

16 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Funny you should mention that.....
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/electric-car-road-tax-guide-do-i-need-to-pay/#:~:text=The changes are as follows%3A

Standard rate tax is kicking in (£180 per annum) in 2025 for most EVs

I'd be happy if they just put all cars onto a standard rate. That'd be novel, not as if we've been there in the past? ;-) 

21 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It's all about pricing people out of "old" (15+ year old?) vehicles which are inherently more reliable and long lasting than they used to be. (The MK1 Focus for example is still a remarkably modern feeling, capable, practical and reliable vehicle despite the earliest examples now being 26 years old) 

10 years ago, would a 26 year old car still have been a capable, ubiquitous family car? Not to the same extent as today. 

The problem they have is that there are still too many of these cars around, the scrappage scheme hasn't helped a certain section of the population but you know what will actually hit them? Increasing VED. Seriously, it works. How many people are moaning about an extra £20 a year in VED? Quite a few. And I'd be willing to be most people outside of this forum faced with a £6/7/800 annual VED bill will begin to seriously consider getting rid of the car. 

Now, once they've pushed enough people out of these cars and into the BEV/HEV segment, what's going to happen? 

Of course they're going to find something else as a cause to extract more tax out of everyone's pockets. Brake and tyre particulate emmisions you say? Sounds good to me! But until they have enough people roped on board for that, they need to find a way of getting everyone out of what is a band of frustratingly (for them) reliable and capable, longer lasting vehicles which are actually great for the majority of people, but of course keeping 15+ year old vehicles on the road for longer is not compatible with the climate agenda. 

You're bang on and that's what I meant to say at the start ie they want us with old stuff off the roads.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I will be literally dead before that happens to me.

Thankfully I can afford the £59 per month boot in the baws for the Saab and I like the car so I will keep paying it.

Just say 60 a month (they knock a quid off to make it sound better) yep that's a kick in the nuts ok. 

But then there's poor sods that are a grand and over.... fk that.  But then chances are they'll be business owners and can claim it or a good chunk back. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

£325 for the Volvo, I got pissed off having to pay that but it’s bugger all compared to some here.

It’s an absolute rip off. It’s just a money making spin. The roads are still in a shit state so where’s all this money going?

Makes me happy my others are tax exempt and MOT exempt. 

Of course it's just a progressive scale of punishment for continuing to use an older vehicle. The increase doesn't go anywhere near road maintenance, it's revenue generation and nothing more than that

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

£325 (now £345?) for the Mondeo stings a little when I have only 1,597cc (48cc more than the cheap rate)

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Of course it's just a progressive scale of punishment for continuing to use an older vehicle. The increase doesn't go anywhere near road maintenance, it's revenue generation and nothing more than that

Aye - but it does allow them to shout about minimal rises/cuts in income tax which seems to be The Holy Grail of vote grabbing government financing these days.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind being pushed out of personal transport if there were actually any viable alternatives! I don't live in a city, so a 15 minute drive is often an hour's ride on the bus, which is an hourly service. So it could take me up to 2 hours to travel somewhere that I could go in the comfort of my car in 15 minutes. 

Equally, if I got pushed into some sort of EV or plug in hybrid then I wouldn't mind too much if the infrastructure was there. Unfortunately at-home charging is not possible for me, and I'm certainly not going to buy an EV and rely on public charging. Literally - fuck that. It's all ideologies for people who live in detached houses, detached from reality. 😁

What they don't seem to consider is that the benefits of an EV do not currently apply to the vast majority of regular people 

52 minutes ago, Me9 said:

Road tax hasn't got anything specific to do with the upkeep of the roads.  It's part of the general taxation pool.

I know but some me too still call it that, but as we all know, it's to get old stuff off the roads. 

What I'd like to know though is people with classics, really old stuff.  What will they do, I mean I wonder if there's any of these overpaid muppets in Westminster that have something old and classic somewhere. Then again it'll be mot and tax exempt. 

As I say though, I really do grudge paying 435 for this old thing but it's not as much as SP's old 9-5 at 715 jeeeezus 

36 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Funny you should mention that.....
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/electric-car-road-tax-guide-do-i-need-to-pay/#:~:text=The changes are as follows%3A

Standard rate tax is kicking in (£180 per annum) in 2025 for most EVs

I'd be happy if they just put all cars onto a standard rate. That'd be novel, not as if we've been there in the past? ;-) 

That is what they've done for vehicles built April 2017 onwards

6 minutes ago, Me9 said:

mean I wonder if there's any of these overpaid muppets in Westminster...

There's definitely a good argument to say that MPs are underpaid for their responsibility and paying them more but banning them from third-party activity would significantly improve our democracy.  An MPs salary is the same as our household income which, whilst significant, doesn't strike me as excessive given what they are expected to do.

• Agree 2

Think I’m at £715 for the Land Cruiser now.

It is what it is. What hurts is that I know that money is going nowhere. If I could see even just a sustained level of performance from government and/or local council when it comes to services I (and I think I’m not alone here) wouldn’t mind it.

But there’s not even that. Just paying more for less. The absolute shower of cunts.

I'm done with paying loads of tax for cars these days, wife drives a modern 1.3 petrol 4 pot turbo and I've got my euro 5 diesel Passat, both come in under £400 for the pair.

I'd love a modern big engined barge but there's no way I'm paying £700/yr for the privilege, I'll be getting a hybrid next.